Caravan - All Over You ... Too CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

4 stars The real Kings of Canterbury (nah not Soft Machine) take another trip down memory lane and revisit earlier songs.

From Girls: Hoedown, Cthu thlu, The Dog's at it again From Cunning Stunts: Stuck in a Hole From Bling Dog at St Dunstans: A very smelly, grubby litle oik From Better BY Far: Nightmare

Well I'll happily be in a minority of one with this one: i think this album is absolutely great fun. it's hard not to smile at the exuberance and

Caravan are one of my favourite prog bands (although I've hardly reviewed any of their albums yet). This absolutely the wrong one with which to start. Having said that ....

Very Smelly Grubby Little Oik is a merry upbeat humorous track. Infectious. I've played it at parties, in between modern numbers: it always gets a great reaction. A nice cathcy guitar riff and with Jim Leverton and Richard Coughlan the rhythm is mesmeric. Bobbing Wide is a real mood change, as the band switch to a more sophisticated sound.

The Dog brings us back to the classic Canterbury sound. Pye Hastings' charactersitic restrained understated vocal is the antithesis of the flash front man. Doug Boyle really adds dome spice to this track for the heavier proggers but this is and remains firmly within the Canterbury Scene.

I think the stand out factor about this album is the new dynamic that Doug Boyle brings to the equation. It has been a revelation to me. hear it in this album and watch the DVDs: incredible - it just really works. I suppose it helps that he has obviously had a vulcan mind meld with Geoffrey Richardson. Here you have a genuinely grat prog band with a bona fide lead guitarist in a combination that is greater than the sum of its parts (unlike the awesome Trevor Rabin & Yes partnership).

obiter | 4/5 |