Emerson Lake & Palmer - The Best Of Emerson, Lake & Palmer CD (album) cover

THE BEST OF EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars This is the best ELP compilation I ever saw or heard. It really includes most of their essential work in a single CD, which I thought it was an impossible task. But here are all their major singles, like the stunning version of Jerusalem (well, does Greg Lake sings!) but not only their most popular songs, it does include some stuff that would not be found in other best of, like the complete Tarkus Suite and the entire 8:35 minute Trilogy title track. All three band members were virtuosos and had a lot to show. This CD does them justice.

Unlike a lot of this kind of albums, it does give a very good overview of one of prog´s most influential and important bands ever. But - let´s face it - they also did a lot of noodling and self indulgent material too. Fortunatly nothing like that is here (although some hints can be found, which is also good to show them how they were really). If you want to have their best work in a single CD, this is the one to buy. Also serves as an excellent introduction to the band if you want to further look into their cathalog. Maybe the only weak spot is the inclusion of the latter day Black Moon. The rest of the stuff is pure gold. I really liked the inclusion of the rare single I Believe In Father Christmas.The overall sound is also crystal clear, one of the best remastering I´ve heard.

I wish all compilations were so well done and respectful to the artists! 4,5 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |