Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll CD (album) cover

WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

Black Sabbath

ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.