WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Box set
Rhino 2014
Born AgainBorn Again
Sanctuary UK 2011
Heaven and Hell (Deluxe Edition)Heaven and Hell (Deluxe Edition)
Import · Remastered · Extra tracks
Sanctuary 2010
COZY POWELL Theme One VINYL 7" Rainbow Whitesnake Black Sabbath Autograph SIGNED US $119.99 Buy It Now 31m 8s
Sabotage (Limited Edition Mini replica LP sleeve) Sealed MLP Black Sabbath US $35.99 Buy It Now 40m 30s
TRIBUTE TO BLACK SABBATH SABBATH CADABRA PROMO CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 44m 34s
DIO EMBROIDER PATCH HEAVY METAL BLACK SABBATH RAINBOW DANZIG OZZY Metal Negro US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h
Black Sabbath Reunion 2 Disc Live Performance Bmg Sony 1998 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (WB M5 3104) 1971 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Black Sabbath Reunion 2 Cassette Tapes NEW & Sealed US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
BLACK SABBATH "Masters of Reality" UK orig VERTIGO SWIRL label Record US $195.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Black Sabbath: 7 Promo Obi only+Flyer [no cd japan mini-lp ozzy osbourne dio Q US $85.50 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Black Sabbath Born Again Cassette US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH 13 Korea CD New OZZY OSBOURNE US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Lot 17 - TEN (10) assorted rock cassette tapes BLACK SABBATH ZZ TOP BUSH HELMET US $5.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH- PARANOID- B/W THE WIZARD- VERTIGO- UK- 6059 010 US $3.26 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Japan NM LP GREATEST HITS US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Ozzy Osbourne - Just Say Ozzy - 1990 Orig.CD / HARD ROCK METAL / BLACK SABBATH US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
BLACK SABBATH "Seventh Star" PHILIPPINES Cassette Tape US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
BLACK SABBATH-PARANOID-DIFF RUSSIAN Unique*RARE* LP MINT DIFF OZZY US $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 27m
TONY IOMMI & OZZY OSBOURNE (Black Sabbath) - Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Black Sabbath 'Reunion' Rare Promotional Playing cards/Tarot deck US $19.99 [1 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne Signed Black Sabbath 1991 Promo Photo US $245.84 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Ozzy Osbourne Signed Black Sabbath 1993 Promo Photo US $245.84 Buy It Now 6h 28m
BLACK SABBATH-ORIGINAL INTERVIEW N PIC-28.10.1978-CITY BOY-OZZY OSBORNE US $5.33 Buy It Now 6h 35m
BLACK SABBATH Heaven And Hell DELUXE EDITION 2 CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
OZZY OSBOURNE (Black Sabbath) - 1987 Magazine Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 6h 47m
LP Black Sabbath Sabotage 1975 EXCELLENT UK PRESSING NEL 33rpm heavy Metal US $16.39 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES SCARF LENGTH 54 WIDTH 7 INCHES ROCK US $15.98 [4 bids]
Black Sabbath 1975 EXCELLENT UK PRESSING NEL 6003 Ozzy Osbourne US $16.39 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (CD) SUPERB US $1.62 [1 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - BLACK SABBATH, VOL. 4 [602527168579] - NEW CD US $11.94 Buy It Now 7h 27m
BLACK SABBATH - 2 X CONCERT FLYERS US $6.54 Buy It Now 7h 32m
BLACK SABBATH ENAMEL PEWTER KEYRING = 40mm = KR0195 US $6.54 Buy It Now 7h 37m
BLACK SABBATH MASTERS OF REALITY.A1/B2 FIRST PRESS NEMS 33RPM LP Heavy Metal US $16.39 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid VINYL Germany 1976 Gatefold -MINT Spiegelei US $55.00 Buy It Now 7h 42m
TRUST ME I'M DR OZZY OSBOURNE HAND SIGNED BOOK AUTOGRAPH WITH COA BLACK SABBATH US $55.30 Buy It Now 7h 44m
AMPLIFIED Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes BLACK SABBATH WHITE US $37.68 Buy It Now 7h 51m
OZZY OSBOURNE (Black Sabbath) - 1994 Magazine Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 7h 57m
BLACK SABBATH - BLACK SABBATH: DELUXE EDITION 2CD ALBUM (2009 REMASTER) US $13.09 Buy It Now 8h 3m
BLACK SABBATH - BACKTRACKIN' (21'ST ANNIVERSARY) GREATEST HITS US $6.15 Buy It Now 8h 6m
Black Sabbath - Best of [Sanctuary 2000] 2CD - UK FREE FAST POST US $16.37 Buy It Now 8h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - THE GREATEST HITS [BLACK SABBATH] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $11.66 Buy It Now 8h 25m
BLACK SABBATH THE KINGS OF HELL LP BRAZIL ONLY 1984 PARANOID SOLITUDE WAR PIGS US $99.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
BLACK SABBATH TIME MACHINE LP WAYNE'S WORLD DIO QUEEN ALICE COOPER JIMI HENDRIX US $99.98 Buy It Now 8h 28m
BLACK SABBATH LOGO SILVER VINTAGE BADGE 1980's ORIGINAL COLLECTORS ITEM US $8.18 Buy It Now 8h 30m
BLACK SABBATH LOGO RED VINTAGE BADGE 1980's ORIGINAL COLLECTORS ITEM US $8.18 Buy It Now 8h 30m
BLACK SABBATH - First LP - Gatefold Cover Issue - EX US $28.68 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Black Sabbath Fingerless Gloves Logo And Devil Ozzy 100% Official Licensed NEW US $21.22 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Black Sabbath Double Sided Guitar Pick Keyring plus Matching Plectrum US $6.54 Buy It Now 9h 8m
LOONEY TUNES MERRIE MELODIES LP BOX SET WARNER BROS BLACK SABBATH, HARD MEAT, NM US $24.57 [0 bids]
OLD Rock Music Record ALBUM ~BLACK SABBATH~Vintage CLEAR COLORED VINYL LP IMPORT US $195.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "Headless Cross" 7" RARE (UK Press) NM/EX Cozy Powell Tony Martin US $13.71 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath-Master Of Reality-Very Rare Green Label Original Pressing With Pos US $125.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Reunion (Live Recording, 2002) CD US $13.03 Buy It Now 9h 25m
BLACK SABBATH "Mob Rules" CD, 2013 Warner Bros. (Compact Disc) Ronnie James Dio US $7.95 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Live at Last, Black Sabbath, Good US $5.74 Buy It Now 9h 40m
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES [602527350707] - NEW CD US $26.98 Buy It Now 9h 45m
EARTH - METHADRINE 7" Melvins Sunn Black Sabbath Jesu Neurosis Om Swans Thrones US $16.37 [1 bids]
KARP - I'M DONE 7" KRS Melvins Big Business Black Sabbath Mudhoney Neurosis Om US $8.19 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - 13 (CD 2013) US $14.61 Buy It Now 10h 15m
Black Sabbath 1981 tour programme US $19.67 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Black Sabbath : Live At Last CD (2009) US $10.21 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Black Sabbath : The Best of Black Sabbath (2CDs) (2006) US $11.83 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Various Artists : Masters of Misery: Black Sabbath Tribute Album CD (2006) US $6.60 Buy It Now 10h 45m
[LP] 20 Super Hits,Vol.2 Black Sabbath, Sayer, Leandros O.a (Philips) US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 51m
Who Cares - Ian Gillan Tony Iommi & Friends Black Sabbath SEALED EAR MUSIC 2011 US $40.97 [0 bids]
AXE ATTACK, Vol. II: Rush, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath (Import) US $16.00 Buy It Now 10h 52m
AXE ATTACK: Judas Priest, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, U.F.O., Black Sabbath (Import) US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 52m
6 Classic Rock Lps Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Guess Who US $24.00 Buy It Now 10h 56m
BLACK SABBATH "LIVE AT LAST", LP, 1980, RARE! US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
BLACK SABBATH "BORN AGAIN", LP, USA, RARE! US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
BLACK SABBATH "THE ETERNAL IDOL", LP, RARE! US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
BLACK SABBATH "TECHNICAL ECSTASY", LP, 1976, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
BLACK SABBATH "WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK ┤N┤ ROLL", CD, 1986, FRANCE, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
BLACK SABBATH : Black Sabbath CD US $9.41 Buy It Now 11h
BLACK SABBATH Pantera - McGathy Metal Vol 3 - PROMO CD US $4.54 Buy It Now 11h
TONY IOMMI & GEEZER BUTLER (Black Sabbath) - 1991 Magazine Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 11h 2m
RONNIE JAMES DIO (Rainbow/Dio/Black Sabbath) - 1991 Magazine Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 11h 4m
Black Sabbath We Sold our Souls for Rock n Roll 76 original pressing 2BS 2923 US $11.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath 'Iron Man' Lyrical Song Poster A4 Size (Typography) US $9.00 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' Lyrical Song Poster A4 Size (Typography) US $9.00 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Black Sabbath 'War Pigs' Lyrical Song Poster A4 Size (Typography) US $9.00 Buy It Now 11h 16m
The Rules of Hell [Box] by Black Sabbath (CD, Jul-2008, 5 Discs, Rhino (Label)) US $25.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Split Single) ITALIAN JUKEBOX PROMO VERTIGO 1970 US $32.78 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Self titled (CD) metal rock debut US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 36m
Black Sabbath Remasters 180 gram Vinyl NEMS US $210.00 Buy It Now 11h 37m
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY D/Remaster CD ~ OZZY OSBOURNE 70's GOTH *NEW* US $13.10 Buy It Now 11h 37m
OZZY OSBOURNE BARK AT THE MOON LP MADE IN BRAZIL ORIGINAL 1983 Black sabbath US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
OZZY OSBOURNE POSTER "BLACK RAIN" LICENSED "BRAND NEW" BLACK SABBATH 60cm X 90cm US $10.74 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BLACK SABBATH THE SUPER COMPLETE 8 VINYL LP SET ON RHINO RECORDS SEALED NEW US $139.99 Buy It Now 11h 53m
Black Sabbath - Paranoid USA PROMO WARNER BROS 1970 RARE US $32.78 [0 bids]
THE SWEET LEAF - 7" DOOM Black sabbath SAINT VITUS Wino UNCLE ACID US $16.37 [0 bids]
12h
PAUL CHAIN - Yellow acid 7" DOOM Black sabbath SAINT VITUS Wino UNCLE ACID US $16.37 [0 bids]
12h
ANGEL OF DAMNATION - 7" EP Black Sabbath UNCLE ACID Pagan Altar GHOST US $11.46 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Tomorrow's Dream UK ORIGINAL VERTIGO 1972 US $40.97 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-sabbath bloody sabbath/8 trax/vg con cd/1996 US $4.00 [2 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-best of/2cds/vg con cds/2006 US $4.67 [3 bids]

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(25%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(41%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"