WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Heaven & HellHeaven & Hell
Rhino Records 2008
Mob RulesMob Rules
Rhino 2013
OZZFEST 2001 CD, LIMITED EDITION COVER (BLACK SABBATH LINKIN PARK SLIPKNOT) US $8.98 Buy It Now 29m 51s
RARE - BLACK SABBATH - THE SABBATH COLLECTION 1985 CASTLE (MADE IN FRANCE) US $16.00 Buy It Now 34m 20s
BLACK SABBATH Dehumanizer DELUXE EDITION MINI LP 2 CD US $17.49 Buy It Now 37m 16s
BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid 13, PICTURE DISC w/COVER, Australia, Melbourne May 2013 US $35.00 [1 bids]
38m 9s
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID COLORED VINYL LP US $199.99 Buy It Now 39m 31s
BLACK SABBATH Cross Purposes CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 39m 36s
Black Sabbath LIVE AT LAST 1980 Vinyl 33 LP Record War Pigs Paranoid Snowblind US $19.99 [0 bids]
42m 38s
Black Sabbath The Dio Years 2007 CD Heavy Metal Music Album Brand New US $15.08 Buy It Now 45m 5s
EARTH / FLYING HAT BAND -COMING OF THE HEAVY LORDS LP black sabbath judas priest US $24.06 [13 bids]
51m 45s
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros.) US $4.05 Buy It Now 52m 21s
FU MANCHU - START THE MACHINE CD nebula black sabbath doom stoner rock US $6.49 [0 bids]
58m 15s
BLACK SABBATH The Dio Years like new hard case inserts into cardboard case US $6.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath - LP - Earmark Import Direct Metal Mastering - NM US $7.00 [7 bids]
BLACK SABBATH, Black Sabbath 4 [Nems] UK A1 matrix EXCELLENT- LP US $21.99 [0 bids]
THE BIBLE ACCORDING TO BLACK SABBATH-OLD & NEW TESTAMENTS / 2 CD PROMO ONLY/ NIB US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH 12" PICTURE DISC UK Turn Up The Night VERTIGO SAB P 612 US $16.76 [0 bids]
WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK N ROLL BY BLACK SABBATH CLS/NEMS [2-CD GERMAN IMPORT] US $19.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath "PARANOID" cd 1970 Warner Bros BMG Direct - w/Ozzy Osbourne US $2.00 [0 bids]
VINTAGE RECORD ALBUM HEAVY METAL SOUNDTRACK BLACK SABBATH NAZARETH CHEAP TRICK US $8.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE - LIVE & / AND LOUD COFFIN cassette tape Black Sabbath rare metal US $13.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH, Black Sabbath Vol 4 VERTIGO SWIRL 1st pressing 1Y1 matrix UK LP US $149.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH, Black Sabbath LARGE VERTIGO SWIRL 1Y1 matrix UK LP US $149.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - COLLECTION OF 10 MIXED POSTCARDS # 1 US $8.37 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Posters & Promos etc - POSTCARD SET # 1 US $8.37 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "THE ETERNAL IDOL", LP, RARE! US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h
BLACK SABBATH "WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK ┤N┤ ROLL", CD, 1986, FRANCE, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BLACK SABBATH "LIVE AT LAST", LP, 1980, RARE! US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BLACK SABBATH "TECHNICAL ECSTASY", LP, 1976, RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BLACK SABBATH, TV Crimes POSTER SLEEVE UK 1st press A1 matrix 45 US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T5) US $16.69 Buy It Now 2h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T6) US $16.69 Buy It Now 2h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T7) US $16.69 Buy It Now 2h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - sabbath bloody sabbath LP ORIG NEMS PRESS N MINT VINYL *AWESOME* US $15.50 [11 bids]
Deep Purple - NM WAX Perfect Strangers LP Japan OBI Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin US $7.99 [0 bids]
***BLACK SABBATH - EVIL WOMAN / WICKED WORLD. UK 1970 VERTIGO SWIRL V2 EX/EX+*** US $25.15 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath HEAVEN & HELL Bible Black & LIVE TRK 7 INCH VINYL Ronnie James Dio US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h
Black Box: The Complete Original Black Sabbath 1970-1978 [Box] 8 CD Like New US $99.50 Buy It Now 3h 9m
TONY IOMMI (Black Sabbath) - 1980s Magazine Poster US $7.55 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Black Sabbath LP NM Rare Russian Compilation US $14.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH 13 CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $167.76 Buy It Now 3h 29m
BLACK SABBATH-WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK 'N' ROLL NM/VG+ 2LP US $24.98 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Greatest Hits 1970-1978 [Remaster] by Black Sabbath US $8.88 Buy It Now 3h 37m
BLACK SABBATH - EVIL WOMAN DON'T PLAY YOUR GAMES 7" TURKISH PRESSSING ONLY COVER US $300.00 [0 bids]
HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE Black Sabbath Deep Purple Alice Cooper + NEW CASSETTE! US $6.88 [0 bids]
VENOM - CANADIAN ASSAULT black sabbath pentagram bewitched gehennah mayhem US $50.00 [0 bids]
Heavy Metal - Superstars of the 70's - Volume 2 - Double LP. Black Sabbath, Led US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
PAGAN ALTAR - THE TIME LORD black sabbath witchfynde cloven hoof pentagram rare US $150.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Headless Cross CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL - UK CASSETTE TAPE WITH PAPER LABELS US $15.08 Buy It Now 4h 3m
COZY POWELL/BLACK SABBATH/RAINBOW drums rare TURKISH PRESSING 7" w/PS 45 rpm US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Children of the Grave by Black Sabbath (CD, May-2003, PowerSource Entertainment) US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 15m
BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath --- Back Jacket Patch [Heaven and Hell] US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Hail To The Stonehenge Gods Tribute To Black Sabbath By Various Artists New CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
BLACK SABBATH**NEVER SAY DIE!**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Black Sabbath Ozzy Ozborne Live Picture Disk Vinyl - Near Mint 1981 CBS Records US $19.99 [0 bids]
5h
BLACK SABBATH THE KINGS OF HELL LP BRAZIL ONLY RARE 1984 Ozzy Osbourne Metallica US $49.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
BLACK SABBATH THE KINGS OF HELL LP BRAZIL ONLY 1984 PARANOID SOLITUDE WAR PIGS US $99.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
BLACK SABBATH 'Vol 4' T-Shirt Screen Print Size M or L NEW US $16.71 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Black Sabbath, Vol. 4 Black Sabbath Mini LP CD 2009 remastered SHM-CD 2009 Japan US $24.99 [0 bids]
Heavy Metal: Music From The Motion Picture CD Black Sabbath Stevie Nicks Journey US $3.99 [1 bids]
12" lp. AXE ATTACK, Vol. II: Rush, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath US $8.99 [0 bids]
Dio Intermission Lp Heavy Metal Rainbow In The Dark Black Sabbath US $10.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - SABOTAGE LP - 2012 UNIVERSAL / SANCTUARY 180 gram NM US $20.82 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Master Of Reality Sweet Leaf After Forever Orchid AUDIO CASSETTE US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Acceptable US $7.20 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Black Sabbath Turn Up The Night VINYL 7" 1981 Uk Vertigo SAB6 EX US $6.71 Buy It Now 5h 49m
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid Wizard Turkey & Turkish Edition Unique PS 7" MEGA RARE US $222.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Black Sabbath - Copper - Cassette US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Tribute to Black Sabbath: Eternal Masters by Various Artists (CD) OZZY READ NOTE US $0.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll LP,Sealed US $198.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
ORCHID MOUTHS OF MADNESS 2LP 100 PINK RARE OOP Graveyard Kadavar Black Sabbath US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h
BLACK SABBATH MOB RULES WB Vinyl LP N/M US $18.98 Buy It Now 6h 3m
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [1 bids]
Never Say Die! Black Sabbath Mini LP CD [2009 remastered] (SHM-CD, 2010 Japan) US $21.99 [0 bids]
ALICE COOPER "The Alice Cooper Show" 1977 Lp / Black Sabbath Marilyn Manson US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH**TECHNICAL ECSTASY**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Nativity in Black - Tribute to Black Sabbath US $1.70 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid on Warner Bros Records 1887 Gate Fold Cover US $64.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Metallica Die My DARLING BLACK SABBATH MERCYFUL FATE LIVE Trx CD Single 1999 US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
BLACK SABBATH Born Again DELUXE EDITION 2 CD MINI LP US $17.49 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - UK 7" Single - Vertigo Reissue - Vinyl Ex [A] US $10.05 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Black Sabbath - Born Again on Warner Bros Records 1-23978 US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
BLACK SABBATH BY BLACK SABBATH (CD) US $11.75 Buy It Now 7h 38m
BLACK SABBATH - 13 ??? ? ??? NEW SEALED CD 2013 ????? US $12.50 Buy It Now 7h 41m
BLACK SABBATH - S/T, NEL 6002 NEMS - UK PRESS US $37.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
BLACK SABBATH - TECHNICAL ECSTASY..RARE YUGO PRESSING..PGP RTB..FREE SHIPPING US $21.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
BLACK SABBATH 2CD Ozzy Osbourne Years 1995 TEICHIKU Japan TECX-30884/5 US $18.67 [2 bids]
BLACK SABBATH CASSETTE TAPE WE SOLD OUR SOULS FOR ROCK 'N' ROLL ASIAN ISSUE US $10.03 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Sabotage by Black Sabbath (CD, 1990/ 1975, Warner Bros.) VG ORIGINAL US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 10m
VA KERRANG! The Album 2CD Sepultura Pantera Megadeth Black Sabbath Judas Priest US $8.00 [0 bids]
Master of Reality by Black Sabbath (CD, Jun-1990/ 1971, Warner Bros.)VG ORIGINAL US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
BLACK SABBATH: 13 2-CD+T-Shirt Box BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE Flame Edition NEW RARE US $49.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD, Jan-1990, Warner Bros.) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne Tribute CD, Aug-1995, Epic (USA) Black Sabbath Tony Iommi Ward US $5.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros. US $8.00 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne Ozzman Cometh CD, Nov-1998, Epic (USA) Black Sabbath Zack Wylde US $8.00 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard Of Ozz Cassette Black Sabbath Dio Metallica Slayer US $3.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Live Evil VG+ LP Korean US $23.17 Buy It Now 8h 38m
Demential Mental Ed CD 2002 VERY GOOD+ SOUNDS LIKE JUDAS PRIEST BLACK SABBATH US $9.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Original 1970 WB NM US $44.95 Buy It Now 8h 41m

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(26%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(42%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"