WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Mob RulesMob Rules
Rhino 2013
Sabbath Bloody SabbathSabbath Bloody Sabbath
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
BLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVDBLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVD
Multiple Formats
Universal Republic 2013
DVD$8.72
Black Sabbath - 13 Super Deluxe 500 worldwide 2 CD + DVD + Vinyl LP + more NEW US $159.00 Buy It Now 37m 29s
Boyfriend Book 1972 (Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Status Quo/Scott Walker/Christie) US $13.58 Buy It Now 39m 36s
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID LP UK FIRST PRESS LARGE SWIRL vertigo US $35.64 [2 bids]
45m 4s
Black Sabbath - 13 12 Tracks Store Edition 3D Cover Special Deluxe Edition NEW US $59.00 Buy It Now 45m 36s
BLACK Sabbath - Self Titled First Release IMPORT US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h
BLACK SABBATH Self-Titled 1st Album CD Original 1980s Canada Ozzy FREE SHIPPING US $10.95 Buy It Now 1h
Black Sabbath - Seventh Star - Deluxe Edition CD Album (43) US $33.93 Buy It Now 1h
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid (CD 1987) Original 1980s Edition Ozzy FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Black Sabbath CD Vertigo/Sanctuary (Digipack Sleeve) US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Black Sabbath Paranoid CD Vertigo/Sanctuary (Digipack Sleeve) US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Black Sabbath Master of Reality CD Vertigo/Sanctuary (Digipack Sleeve) US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Black Sabbath 13 180g HQ AUDIOPHILE + Free MP3 Download NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $23.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH DEVO SAMMY HAGAR HEAVY METAL OST G/F UK 2LP 1981 CHRIS ACHILLEOS US $20.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Vintage Badges and Pendant 7 x Badges and 1 x Pendant US $16.97 [5 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - LIVE AT LAST NEW CD US $23.31 Buy It Now 1h 43m
BLACK SABBATH PEN & KEYCHAIN SET OZZY -NICE! US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Black Sabbath : We Sold Our Soul for Rocknroll CD (2003) US $4.03 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Mob Rules by Black Sabbath (Cassette Warner Bros.) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
BLACK SABBATH - 1980s Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 1h 56m
WAMI: Kill The King CD 2014 Black Sabbath Rainbow DIO Thin Lizzy Kill Devil Hill US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
OZZY OSBOURNE FIRST US CD Black sabbath US $30.99 [0 bids]
2h
OZZY OSBOURNE Reigns Over CD Black sabbath US $30.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE Blizzard On Ten CD Black sabbath US $30.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE RENDERED SABBATH CD Black sabbath US $30.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH 13 ALBUM COVER BLACK T-SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL SIZE MEN US $14.99 [0 bids]
Paranoid / Iron Man Black Sabbath MUSIC CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 2h 11m
BLACK SABBATH IRON MAN BLACK T-SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL MEN & WOMEN TEE US $14.99 [0 bids]
VA - Masters Of Misery - A Homage To Black Sabbath (NEW 12" VINYL LP) RSD 14 US $35.63 Buy It Now 2h 13m
BLACK SABBATH HEAVEN AND HELL NEW 2010 JAPAN Mini LP 2 SHM-CD+PROMO MOUSEPAD DIO US $138.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Black Sabbath-Masters of Black Masses/27 tr. 2 cd set in trifold digipack US $17.00 [7 bids]
BLACK SABBATH TURN UP THE NIGHT 12" PIC DISC DIO US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
MUSIC VINYL LP BLACK SABBATH SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH WWA 003 SUPER DE LUXE US $31.82 [4 bids]
MUSIC VINYL LP BLACK SABBATH VOLUME 4 NEMS NEL 6005 US $13.31 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath Paranoid US $0.99 [1 bids]
Dehumanizer by Black Sabbath (Cassette, Jun-1992, Reprise) US $0.99 [1 bids]
Born Again [Digipak] by Black Sabbath (CD, Jun-2011, 2 Discs, Sanctuary (USA)) US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH / SABOTAGE LP w/OBI Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Black Sabbath, Vol.4, Black Sabbath, New US $5.59 Buy It Now 2h 57m
DANG - Tartarus:The Darkest Realm, 2LP Ltd 500 Etched Vinyl 2014 Black Sabbath US $26.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
13 [HMV Canada Exclusive 2CD/L T-Shirt] by Black Sabbath US $14.99 [0 bids]
3h
DIO SACRED HEART 1985 UK VERTIGO ETCHED MATRIX W/INNER BLACK SABBATH RAINBOW US $13.56 Buy It Now 3h 6m
DIO THE LAST IN LINE 1984 UK VERTIGO A1/B1 MATRIX W/INNER BLACK SABBATH RAINBOW US $13.56 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Masters Of Misery - BLACK SABBATH Tribute Japan press 1992! / Sleep Godflesh US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
AXE ATTACK VOL II UK IMPORT IRON MAIDEN BLACK SABBATH MOTORHEAD JUDAS PRIEST NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
BLACK SABBATH - NEVER SAY DIE 1988 US CD * NEW * US $11.86 Buy It Now 3h 15m
BLACK SABBATH - VOLUME 4 1988 US CD * NEW * US $11.86 Buy It Now 3h 15m
BLACK SABBATH HOLLYWOOD BOWLCONCERT POSTER MAGNET APPROX 5" X 4" US $5.94 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Black Sabbath Master Of Reality Lp US $12.99 [1 bids]
black sabbath 7" die young / heaven and hell 1980 vertigo SAB4 A1/B4 EX+ US $15.26 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Warner Bros. US $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 42m
BLACK SABBATH - BRINGER OF EVIL - 3CD DIO US $150.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Black Sabbath Ozzy Osbourne 8 track 2 audio cassettes Bloddy ultimate sin US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK'N'ROLL - VENEZUELA - RARE (4 pics) US $120.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Black Sabbath - Sabotage *Hidden Track* UK NEMS 1975 LP US $6.77 [1 bids]
4h
BLACK SABBATH 1st LP 2nd Vertigo Swirl / Spiral Label Gatefold Sleeve EX+ US $56.01 [7 bids]
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll (1976) - cassette US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 1st Pressing Gatefold Sleeve + inner US $42.04 [3 bids]
RARE! Earth, Black Sabbath, Ozzy. All 6 "Earth" Demos Plus 2 Bonus Tracks. US $19.95 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath - Sabotage (1975) - cassette US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Complete 70's Replica CD Collection by Black Sabbath, Castle Rec., NEVER PLAYED US $27.66 [12 bids]
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell (1980) - cassette - no bar code US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath, New US $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Black Sabbath Paper Sleeve Collection (3 Discs), Japan, MINT, NEVER PLAYED! US $5.51 [3 bids]
(CD) BLACK SABBATH - Technical Ecstasy / West Germany / Vertigo 838 224-2 US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave | Import | Brand New! US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 51m
BLACK SABBATH-"THE WIZARD" - 8 track tape-Original US $0.99 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath "Paranoid" SACD CD SHM Japan UIGY-9034 Stereo, MINT, UNOPENED, NEW US $51.00 [10 bids]
Black Sabbath SHM CD "Paranoid" & "Master Of Reality", Japan, Sanctuary 2010 NEW US $6.35 [4 bids]
Black Sabbath LP - Live At Last. US $11.88 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Master of Reality [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] by Black Sabbath (CD, Jun-2009,... US $7.16 [5 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Red Logo Vintage 1980`s 25mm Button Pin Badge BS.105 US $5.07 Buy It Now 5h 50m
OZZY OSBOURNE flying high again 7" slayer judas priest black sabbath iron maiden US $7.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath: Master of Reality LP Nems Label West Germany 1976 NEL 6004-5 US $9.99 [0 bids]
6h
Black Sabbath: Vol. 4 LP Nems Label West Germany 1976 NEL 6005-4 US $8.50 [0 bids]
6h
Black Sabbath "Heaven & Hell", "Mob Rules" & "Live Evil" Deluxe CD's, MINT! US $37.77 [7 bids]
Black Sabbath: Bloody sabbath ~ cassette tape US $2.98 [1 bids]
LOT OF HEAVY METAL VINYL RECORDS BLACK SABBATH LP ALBUMS US $10.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Live At Last RARE 1986 EURO / JAPAN 1st pressing CD issue US $52.00 Buy It Now 6h 41m
BLACK SABBATH Master Of Reality 1991 GERMANY CD issue Castle Legends US $31.20 Buy It Now 6h 41m
BLACK SABBATH LIVE AT LAST AUTHENTIC LP RECORD SIGNED + COA US $59.41 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK N ROLL-TAPE-DIFFERENT COVER US $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 45m
BLACK SABBATH CD T Y R 1990 I.R.S. RECORDS TONY IOMMI - COZY POWELL RARE NICE US $11.95 [0 bids]
Marilyn Manson, Garbage, Public Enemy, Black Sabbath, U2, David Bowie PROMO 3 cd US $17.98 Buy It Now 6h 46m
BLACK SABBATH - PSYCHO MAN CD SINGLE 1998 EPIC DIGIPAK US $6.64 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz - ZK 36812 - Black Sabbath Randy Rhaods US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman - ZK 37492 - Black Sabbath Randy Rhaods US $0.99 [2 bids]
Metallica - Garage Inc.- Motorhead/Thin Lizzy/Misfits/Black Sabbath/Diamond Head US $0.99 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality (Castle NELCD 6004) Ozzy Osbourne US $8.50 [4 bids]
Black Sabbath - S/T (Castle NELCD 6002) Ozzy Osbourne US $8.50 [4 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - COLLECTION (3PC) NEW DVD US $37.21 Buy It Now 6h 54m
MASTERS OF METAL "BLACK SABBATH" IRON MAIDEN MUSIC METAL & HARD ROCK EX! US $3.69 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Black Sabbath - Sabotage [ LP, Rhino, NEW ] Heaven & Hell US $26.39 Buy It Now 7h 4m
BLACK SABBATH CD MINI LP SELF TITLE OZZY OSBOURNE IMPORT W/LYRICS NO OBI EX PLUS US $14.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH CD MOB RULES IMPORT MADE IN THE E.U. RARE FIND RONNIE JAMES DIO EX US $9.95 [0 bids]
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $5.75 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Born Again - 1983 - Gimcastle - CD US $13.50 [17 bids]
ALCHEMY GOTHIC - OZZY OSBOURNE - DOG TAGS ROCK METAL BLACK SABBATH US $21.37 Buy It Now 7h 36m

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(27%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"