WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Sabbath Bloody SabbathSabbath Bloody Sabbath
Warner Off Roster 1990
Mob RulesMob Rules
Rhino 2013
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Vol 4 CD 1986 Castle Communications US $3.00 [0 bids]
46m 22s
DIO- MAGICA- DELUXE EDITION 2 CD SET- RARE CD SINGLE- NEW- BLACK SABBATH US $19.99 Buy It Now 46m 23s
BLACK SABBATH: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath LP (180 gram reissue) Rock US $20.00 Buy It Now 46m 51s
BLACK SABBATH WE SOLD OUR SOULD FOR ROCK N ROLL CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 48m 39s
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD, 1990, Warner Bros.) US $1.75 [3 bids]
1h
BLACK SABBATH - 13 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $67.60 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (Cassette, Warner Bros.) # MS 3104 See Comments US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Judas Priest British Steel 2010 CD Bonus Iron Maiden Black Sabbath Kiss Halford US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Iommi by Tony Iommi CD Black Sabbath Deep Purple Dio Deep Purple Ozzy Osbourne US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Black Sabbath Paranoid CD Rare Brazil Ed. Ozzy Osbourne US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Ian Gillan CD Scarabus Remaster Deep Purple Black Sabbath Rainbow US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Greatest Hits 1970-1978 Remaster CD Black Sabbath OZZY Osbourne Rainbow Dio Iomm US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Dio, At Donington UK: Live 1983 1987 Audio CD Rainbow Black Sabbath Def Leppard US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
OZZY OSBOURNE "I DON'T WANNA STOP" RARE UK PROMO CD BLACK SABBATH US $9.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Headless Cross EMI 07243 5 21299 2 8 CLASSIC ROCK RARE! US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Black Sabbath TYR, Cd 1990 irs original US $21.50 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Live Evil CD Classic 1982 Concert Album Ronnie James Dio US $4.69 [2 bids]
DIO / SACRED HEART / CASSETTE TAPE / VERTIGO 1985 RARE 1ST PRESS / BLACK SABBATH US $7.77 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Black Sabbath 3 LP CLEAR vinyl set California Jam & Peel Sessions 1970 NM- OZZY US $79.99 [2 bids]
NEW AND SEALED Paranoid by Black Sabbath CD OZZY / incudes IRON MAN US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Angry Machines- Dio, 1996, VG, m/o Elf, Rainbow, WWIII, Black Sabbath & Dooken US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality - LP - NEL 6004 US $0.99 [1 bids]
Wrestling Slams & Jams CD NEW w/Sweet Black Sabbath Red Hot Chili Peppers & More US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Black Sabbath - Iron Man (Best of) (2012) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $16.52 Buy It Now 2h 26m
BLACK SABBATH Greatest Hits LP 12" Philippines 33 rpm Changes US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Black Sabbath - 13 (Japan+4) / 12 Track / 2CD VERSION + SHM CD + 3D COVER US $18.50 [7 bids]
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes (Japan+1) / 11 Track US $19.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Reunion (Japan) / 2CD VERSION US $26.55 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath [CD New] US $13.64 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll [Vinyl New] US $27.48 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Black Sabbath 9LP Sealed Vinyl Bundle US $199.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH ( NEW CD ) SEVENTH 7TH STAR ( REMASTERED SMRCD076 ) TONY IOMMI US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 53m
BLACK SABBATH (comp.) LP Russian press only Mint US $12.98 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Black Sabbath On LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Seventh Star Featuring Tony Iommi DELUXE EDITION 2 CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
BLACK SABBATH technical ecstasy 1976-UK FIRST PRESS - VERTIGO SPACE SHIP -EX+ US $16.59 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Greatest Hits 1977 UK NEMS issue UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $33.20 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Black Sabbath - Seventh Star Featuring Tony Iommi [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 20m
BLACK SABBATH ALICE COOPER OYSTER CULT- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH ALVIN LEE- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH AMSTERDAM 1970- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH FIRST ALBUM US ADVERT- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH GENTLE GIANT BOWL- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH LONG BEACH 1976- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH LONG ISLAND 1971- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 34m
BLACK SABBATH MILANO - Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Black Sabbath/Paranoid.1970 UK Vertigo Large Swirl LP + Inner Bag. US $249.11 Buy It Now 3h 34m
BLACK SABBATH YES GROUNDHOGS FREE- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 34m
BLACK SABBATH, LOCOMOTIVE, TEA & SYMPHONY- Flexible Fridge Magnet Approx 5" x 4" US $5.81 Buy It Now 3h 34m
DEEP PURPLE- In Rock cd Uriah Heep Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Blue Cheer Rainbow US $1.64 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE- Burn cd Uriah Heep Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Blue Cheer Rainbow US $1.74 [2 bids]
BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Rol UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $24.89 Buy It Now 3h 38m
DEEP PURPLE- Stormbringer cd Uriah Heep Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Rainbow US $3.32 [5 bids]
DEEP PURPLE- Come Taste The Band cd Uriah Heep Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Rainbow US $1.74 [2 bids]
BLACK SABBATH cross purposes cd US $5.70 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH tyr 1990 US $6.90 [0 bids]
HEAVEN AND HELL- The Devil You Know cd Black Sabbath Dio Ozzy Osbourne NWOBHM US $2.08 [3 bids]
BLACK SABBATH " PARANOID " UK VERTIGO US $3.30 [2 bids]
Black Sabbath Never Say Die 7" Vinyl Ozzy Osbourne Tony Iommi Dio Metal US $3.30 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul LP Vinyl Record RARE IRELAND Irish EX A1 / B1 US $17.44 [5 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Live At Last 1980 LP RARE Made in FRANCE NEAR MINT Vinyl US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
BLACK SABBATH Never Say Die! CD *NEW* UK Remastered Edition SMRCD038 Out Of Prin US $23.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
WHITESNAKE- Saints And Sinners cd Deep Purple Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Dio US $1.64 [1 bids]
WHITESNAKE- Ready An' Willing cd Deep Purple Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Dio US $1.99 [2 bids]
WHITESNAKE- Trouble cd Deep Purple Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Dio Def Leppard US $1.64 [1 bids]
WHITESNAKE- Good To Be Bad promotional cd Deep Purple Black Sabbath Def Leppard US $1.64 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Live At Last - Russian Press EX US $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Black Sabbath Live Evil 2 record set. US $5.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Live Evil JAPAN LTD MINI LP 2SHM-CD SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Paranoid - Black Sabbath US $6.98 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BLACK SABBATH Master of Reality JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED POCE-9109 US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BLACK SABBATH Never Say Die JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED DIO US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
BLACK SABBATH S/T JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED POCE-9107 US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED OZZY OSBOURNE US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
BLACK SABBATH Sabbath Bloody Sabbath JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED UICY-94186 US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
BLACK SABBATH Vol.4 JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED UICY-94185 US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll JAPAN LTD MINI LP 2CD SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
black sabbath-bs-001 eire import-live at last US $23.00 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell Keyring - Last of Shop Stock from 1990s US $4.14 [0 bids]
black sabbath programme / tour book 1980 US $31.54 [0 bids]
black sabbath programme / tour book 1976 US $76.38 [0 bids]
black sabbath programme / tour book 1990 US $28.22 [0 bids]
black sabbath programme / tour book 1975 US $76.38 [0 bids]
Sabotage by Black Sabbath (CD, Apr-2014, Sanctuary (USA)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
DIO Dream Evil JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED BLACK SABBATH RAINBOW US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
DIO The Last In Line JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED BLACK SABBATH RAINBOW US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
ozzfest 2005 download festival donington usa tour black sabbath ozzy osbourne US $13.20 [0 bids]
ozzfest 2002 tour festival shirt ozzy osbourne black sabbath metal rare US $13.20 [0 bids]
download festival 2005 shirt black sabbath soad slipknot slayer biffy US $13.20 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath Personalised, All Ocassions, Birthday, Anniversary Card A43 US $4.97 Buy It Now 4h 46m
No Boundaries CD For Kosovar Refugees Alanis Morissette Neil Young Black Sabbath US $8.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Paranoid cassette IMD 6981 RARE US $14.50 Buy It Now 4h 56m
black sabbath the eternal idol vinyl lp US $3.64 [2 bids]
Black Sabbath WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK & ROLL 180g RHINO RECORDS New Vinyl 2 LP US $26.50 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY (180GM) NEW VINYL US $26.91 Buy It Now 5h

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(27%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"