WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Box set
Rhino 2014
BLACK SABBATH - SABOTAGE LP - 2012 180 gram NM VINYL US $14.82 [0 bids]
29m 51s
WISHBONE ASH-ARGUS LP ORG DECCA Rec.USA/ ROCK/WINTERHAWK/KISS/BLACK SABBATH US $3.82 [0 bids]
36m 52s
BLACK SABBATH - MOTORHEAD - ALTER BRIDGE - THIN LIZZY FLYERS - BRAND NEW US $2.43 Buy It Now 37m 6s
THE ELVES Amber Velvet DEMO PSYCH 45 Ronnie James Dio Black Sabbath 7" VINYL US $64.79 [0 bids]
37m 15s
Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell The Devil You Know Dio/Iommi/Butler ETCHED 2LP NEW! US $24.18 [0 bids]
37m 36s
Black Sabbath "Live At Last" LP Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
39m 50s
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Nems UK LP 1970) A1/ B1 Mid 1970's Pressing. EX+ Audio US $10.53 [4 bids]
42m 36s
Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality [CD New] US $5.99 Buy It Now 45m 11s
Black Sabbath Paranoid Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $113.40 Buy It Now 47m 17s
Black Sabbath Live Evil 2 12" Vinyls US $11.99 [0 bids]
48m 33s
Black Sabbath Symptom Of The Universe Disc 1 And Disc 2 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Born Again by Black Sabbath (Vinyl, Earmark) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 12" Vinyl US $11.99 [0 bids]
50m
BLACK SABBATH never say die 1978- EARLY UK PRESS - VERTIGO SPACE SHIP -EX US $16.19 [0 bids]
57m 21s
Reunion by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1998, 2 Discs, Epic (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
59m 59s
BLACK SABBATH THE ETERNAL IDOL 1987 LP 33 RPM SEALED US $44.97 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Black Sabbath Paranoid 12" Vinyl US $10.19 [0 bids]
Dehumanizer Black Sabbath Deluxe 2 CD Set Sealed ! New US $10.14 Buy It Now 1h 10m
@ CD Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis BLACK SABBATH - SONY MUSIC 1995 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BLACK SABBATH - GREATEST HITS 1970-1978 [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Deep Purple - Deepest Purple The Very Best LP Japan OBI Black Sabbath Rainbow U2 US $43.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Masters of Metal Lp..Rush,Black Sabbath etc. US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID 180 GRAM VINYL LP STILL FACTORY SEALED ! US $249.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Black Sabbath Paranoid Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $80.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BLACK SABBATH - GREATEST HITS - UNIVERSAL CD 2009 US $7.76 [6 bids]
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell 1980 Cassette US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 39m
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID VERTIGO 6360011 GATEFOLD SWIRL SPIRAL LABEL NOT LAMINATED US $59.95 [7 bids]
BLACK SABBATH- The Greatest Hits CD (1990 CASTLE) CLACD 200 Best of US $9.72 [2 bids]
Black Sabbath - 13 (Vinyl, Jun-2013, Virgin EMI (Universal UK) Brand new, sealed US $22.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
LITA FORD-The Runaways/OZZY OSBOURNE/Black Sabbath/FEMALE VOCAL ROCK-Cassette US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 55m
ROCK COLLECTION 21 LP's 60/s70/s Led Zeppelin Black Sabbath etc. PROG/CLASSIC US $90.89 [26 bids]
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID LP with GATEFOLD COVER US $149.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BLACK SABBATH Heaven And Hell '80 LP RONNNIE JAMES DIO ORIGINAL US press US $13.45 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell (CD, Oct-2008, Rhino (Label)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Sabotage - VINYL LP TEXTURED JACKET US $85.04 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Black Sabbath Reunion - 2CD 1998 Sony US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Black Sabbath Tyr - 1990 I.R.S. US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - 1992 Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.29 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Limited Edition Black Sabbath Fully Signed Mount Display AUTOGRAPH OZZY OSBOURNE US $4.84 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath SABOTAGE 180g Audiophile RHINO RECORDS New Sealed Vinyl LP US $15.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH CD SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH HOLLAND IMPORT CREATIVE SOUNDS LABEL US $3.99 [0 bids]
13 [Deluxe Edition], Black Sabbath, New Deluxe Edition US $18.59 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Limited Edition Ozzy Osbourne Signed Mount Display AUTOGRAPH BLACK SABBATH US $4.84 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath "Dehumanizer" Greek edition LP NM Dio Metallica US $113.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Black Sabbath-"Black Sabbath" Japan mini lp cd US $22.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Complete Albums 1970-78 (8cd) (2014) - New - Compact Disc US $49.72 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules [CD New] US $13.34 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Black Sabbath Cassette Tape Live Evil WB Warner Brothers 1982 US $12.50 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Black Sabbath/Slade/Caravan/Taste/Sunforest Marquee Club March 1970 Flyer US $121.52 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LP Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' US $9.72 [2 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE / THE ULTIMATE SIN / CASSETTE TAPE / BLACK SABBATH / EPIC US $5.65 Buy It Now 3h 26m
BLACK SABBATH LIVE AT LAST 1991 SNC RECORDS RARE NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID SPECIAL UKR EDITION US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
BLACK SABBATH - SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Black Sabbath Reunion LIMITED EDITION PROMO BOX SET Digi Pack and VHS SEALED US $72.86 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die [Remastrd] NEW! 24HR POST!! US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Radio Active - 20 Electric Hits, Gary Numan, Black Sabbath, XTC, Korgis, RTL2049 US $14.57 Buy It Now 3h 56m
NATIVITY IN BLACK: TRIBUTE TO BLACK SABBATH - NEW CD US $5.47 Buy It Now 3h 56m
BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid / Iron Man - ROCK Juke Box Classic - Vinyl 7" US $4.84 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath NEW CD US $15.65 Buy It Now 4h 16m
BLACK SABBATH BASS & GUITAR TAB CD TABLATURE SONG BOOK GREATEST HITS BEST OF US $4.84 Buy It Now 4h 20m
BLACK SABBATH - CHILDREN OF THE GRAVE!!! like new ps-sr 6011-2 US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
BLACK SABBATH "VOLUME 4" CD ALBUM SANCTUARY RECORDS 2004 US $12.15 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BLACK SABBATH Technical Ecstasy 1976 Warner BS2969 +Inner 1st Prs CLEAN VPI VG++ US $13.33 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 SHM-SACD *RARE* OUT OF PRINT! US $70.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - S/T SHM-SACD *RARE* OUT OF PRINT! US $70.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality SHM-SACD *RARE* OUT OF PRINT! US $70.00 [0 bids]
The Dio Years - Black Sabbath CD New ! Sealed ! US $8.80 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls [CD New] US $28.26 Buy It Now 4h 40m
BLACK SABBATH Reunion CD 2 Discs Ozzy Osbourne US $3.00 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne - Just Say Ozzy CD Black Sabbath US $2.00 [0 bids]
PINK FLOYD "The Wall" (VERY RARE UK HARVEST PRESS!!) Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
BLACK SABBATH "Paranoid" (CD ULTRA RARE JAPAN 1ST PRESS) Dio,Vader,Ozzy Osbourne US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
BLACK SABBATH "Black Sabbath" S/T (UK 1st press,VERY RARE!!!)Tony Martin,Vader US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Seventh Star (Remastered) [IMPORT] by Black Sabbath (Apr-1996, Castle) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
BLACK SABBATH TECHNICAL ECSTASY AUTHENTIC LP RECORD SIGNED + COA US $63.19 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "Forbidden" (ORG CD 1st EMI press)U.D.O.,Accept,DIO,Tony Martin US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h
BLACK SABBATH "Paranoid" (CD 1st press,VERY RARE!)Vader,Ozzy Osbourne, US $37.99 Buy It Now 5h
Levis LOOSE INTERPRETATIONS cd Bryan Ferry/Tom Club/Warren Zevon/Black Sabbath US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (2009) - New - Compact Disc US $11.82 Buy It Now 5h 53m
BLACK SABBATH Unorthodox LP REISSUE NEW VINYL US $37.25 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Sabbath Bloody Sabbath LP sealed 180 gm vinyl RE reissue Rhino US $18.98 Buy It Now 6h
TYR by Black Sabbath (CD, Sep-1990, I.R.S. Records (U.S.)) US $19.99 [1 bids]
FAITH NO MORE WARNERS PROMO CASSETTE VARIOUS BLACK SABBATH VERY GOOD RARE OOP US $8.00 [0 bids]
Pylon - The Harrowing of Hell 2013 Limited Edition CD Black Sabbath Christian US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Cave In / Botch In These Black Days Vol. 5 (Yellow) 7" 45 NM/NM Black Sabbath US $25.20 Buy It Now 6h 25m
DIO RAINBOW BLACK SABBATH VIDEO 1984 + TICKET STUB HEAVEN AND HELL 2007 TAMPA US $4.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 1981 Ozzy Osbourne 'Diary Of A Madman' Baseball Shirt Xs-S Black Sabbath US $93.97 Buy It Now 6h 28m
OZZY OSBOURNE & BLACK SABBATH CD Lot (9) US $39.95 [0 bids]
Cavity/Cable/Jesuit/Overcast In These Black Days Vol.4 2x 7" NM/NM Black Sabbath US $29.70 Buy It Now 6h 30m
BLACK SABBATH: Paranoid, Warner Bros. OLIVE LABEL WS 1887, VG+ Vinyl US $10.00 [1 bids]
BLACK SABBATH WS 1871 US $13.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath The Eternal Idol LP Korea Hard Rock Matal US $77.99 Buy It Now 6h 49m
BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL- 12" VINYL 1980 WARNER #BSK 3372 - DIO look US $8.50 [5 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK' N' ROLL LP USA RARE COLUMBIA HOUSE US $69.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY LP 1st PRESS CANADA WARNER BS 2562 US $44.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $16.87 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (Warner Brothers) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD, 1990, Warner Bros.) US $6.00 [0 bids]
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $6.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(25%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(41%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"