WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

ParanoidParanoid
Black SabbathBlack Sabbath
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
BLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVDBLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVD
Multiple Formats
Deluxe Edition
Universal Republic 2013
Heaven & HellHeaven & Hell
Rhino Records 2008
BLACK SABBATH Mob Rules LP RONNNIE JAMES DIO ORIGINAL US press US $14.99 Buy It Now 42m 20s
Black Sabbath Black Sabbath 12" LP Remastered Limited Edition US $35.00 [0 bids]
48m 31s
BLACK SABBATH heaven & Hell 1980 CONCERT TOUR PROGRAMME! US $33.29 Buy It Now 51m 59s
OSBOURNE ozzy THE OZZMAN COMETH paranoid BLACK SABBATH 15 tracks new tape US $6.88 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Japan SHM-CD Hard Rock My Generation Rainbow Black Sabbath Kiss UFO Motorhead US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH : BORN AGAIN LP - 1-23978 - 1983 - W/ INNER SLEEVE - USA - GILLIAN US $9.95 [0 bids]
DIO MAGICA CD 2000 EXCELLENT CONDITION SPITFIRE RECORDS BLACK SABBATH MET US $12.00 [0 bids]
Technical Ecstasy by Black Sabbath (Vinyl, Jul-2013, Rhino (Label)) US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
1982 Ozzy Cassette Speak Of The Devil Black Sabbath Saxon Judas Priest Dio US $3.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Live at Last (Japan Pressing) NEAR MINT 5009 US $39.00 [0 bids]
13 [Deluxe Edition] by Black Sabbath US $8.99 [0 bids]
CLEAR BLUE SKY / DESTINY + autograph BLACK SABBATH Free Shipping US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
BLACK SABBATH DEBUT LP USA SHRINK WARNER BROTHERS # WS 1871 VERY NEAR MINT US $139.39 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES NEW CD US $23.04 Buy It Now 2h 20m
1981 Krokus Cassette Hardware Iron Maiden WASP Ozzy Saxon AC/DC Black Sabbath US $3.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath-CD,1996,Essential-Heavy Metal/Doom Metal-UK Import US $6.80 Buy It Now 2h 28m
1984 Manowar Cassette Hail To England Iron Maiden Ozzy Saxon AC/DC Black Sabbath US $10.00 [0 bids]
RIOT NARITA LP HEAVY METAL 1979 Manowar Black sabbath Iron maiden Helloween US $5.99 [0 bids]
Music CD BLACK SABBATH Paranoid US $3.00 [0 bids]
Mountain best of VG black sabbath vinyl LP Budget buy a lot Free ship over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID w. IRON MAN IMPORT NEMS PRESS UK METAL ROCK PSYCH US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
OZZY OSBOURNE RANDY RHOAD'S TRIBUTE 2 LP 1987 BLACK SABBATH IRON MAN NM VINYL US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH live evil 2 LP Record RARE 1982 VG US $27.50 Buy It Now 3h 30m
DIO "Holy Diver" CD, 1990 Warner Bros Compact Disc (Elf/Black Sabbath/Rainbow) US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH-FAITH NO MORE-BABES IN TOYLAND-DAMN YANKEES-MINISTRY PROMO CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP-THE MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY-CD-OOP LED ZEPPELIN BLACK SABBATH DEEP PURPLE US $6.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Live At Last 1980 JP LP f7800 US $10.60 [4 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Masters Of Reality JP Ozzy Osbourne LP f7729 US $32.02 [11 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Black Sabbath JP Ozzy Osbourne LP f7720 US $16.00 [7 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Black Sabbath, Vol. 4 JP Ozzy Osbourne LP f7713 US $32.00 [16 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Sabbath Bloody Sabbath JP Ozzy Osbourne LP f7714 US $14.49 [8 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "PROMO" Paranoid JP Ozzy Osbourne LP f7719 US $19.50 [11 bids]
DIO "The Last in Line" CD, 1990 Warner Bros (Black Sabbath/Heaven US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h
Black Sabbath - Montreux 1970 CD US $27.00 [14 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE "NM WAX / PORTRAIT" The Other Side JP Black Sabbath OBI LP a1659 US $7.50 [4 bids]
Black Sabbath - Heavenly Hell 2CD SET US $14.50 [7 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "NM WAX" Heaven And Hell 1980 Japan Ozzy Osbourne OBI LP d7244 US $18.50 [6 bids]
Black Sabbath - Hexensabbath CD US $10.50 [4 bids]
Black Sabbath [Japan Bonus Tracks] by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1996, Castle... US $0.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Apocalypse CD US $8.50 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath - Dark Knight CD US $7.50 [3 bids]
Doom Metal TROUBLE "The Skull" LP 1985 METAL BLADE Good+ BLACK SABBATH No Res. US $20.00 [5 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE "7" EP & Tattoo Seal" Bark at JP Black Sabbath OBI LP N4470 US $20.50 [14 bids]
Black Sabbath - The Day Of Tony's Illness CD Tarantura US $76.00 [10 bids]
Black Sabbath - Scandinavium Occultism- Sweden 1974 CD Tarantura US $92.00 [22 bids]
Black Sabbath - Killing Yourself To Live - Sweden 1977 CD Tarantura US $61.00 [13 bids]
Black Sabbath - Eternal Void Of Doom CD US $19.50 [10 bids]
Black Sabbath Masters of Reality Warner Bros BS 2562 US $6.03 [9 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE-Bark At The Moon/BLACK SABBATH/Earth/TAPE US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Doom Metal TROUBLE Self-Titled (Psalm 9) LP 1984 METAL BLADE Good+ BLACK SABBATH US $18.55 [10 bids]
BLACK SABBATH SABOTAGE (1975) JAPAN CD TECW-20147 REMASTERED US $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
BLACK SABBATH THE ETERNAL IDOL (1987) JAPAN CD PHCR-4117 US $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
AXIS It's A Circus World LP Vinnie Appice DIO BLACK SABBATH ALCATRAZZ MINT- !!! US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Mob Rules '81 LP RONNNIE JAMES DIO ORIG US press NMint/MINT- !!! US $24.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Seventh Star '86 LP Glenn Hughes Original US 1st press US $12.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Born Again LP IAN GILLAN ORIGINAL 1st US press NMint- US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Never Say Die LP OZZY OSBOURNE ORIGINAL US press US $12.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE Randy Rhoads Tribute 2LP BLACK SABBATH BLUE MASTERDISK pr NMint- US $19.99 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE Blizzard Of Ozz '80 LP ex-BLACK SABBATH ORIG US press US $11.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Berlin 1970 CD US $19.07 [8 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Technical Ecstasy '77 LP OZZY OSBOURNE Original US press US $9.99 [0 bids]
5h
BLACK SABBATH Mob Rules '81 LP RONNNIE JAMES DIO ORIGINAL US press US $12.99 [0 bids]
5h
Black Sabbath - Fresh 1978 2CD SET US $32.00 [13 bids]
The Wizar'd - Follow the Wizard EP(Mornful Congregation,Worship,Black Sabbath ) US $6.66 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Supersonic Years 2CD SET US $23.12 [4 bids]
TONY IOMMI-ALBUM-BLACK SABBATH-CD-ADVANCE PROMO ONLY-DAVE GROHL-RARE-MUST SEE! US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
BLACK SABBATH-VOL.4 1972\1996 CD REMASTERED CASTLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Black Sabbath - 13 an 18"x24" US promo poster VG Condition D US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Black sabbath greatest hits 1977 Nems import vinyl lp. Rare!!!! US $10.00 [0 bids]
DIO Magica CD 2005 Noble Price Eagle Rock Records Germany Import Black Sabbath US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Black Sabbath Paranoid & Live At Last (paper label) Irish Imports US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
LOT 4 HEAVY METAL PROMO GREEK CD BLACK SABBATH JUDAS PRIEST ALICE COOPER SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 40m
BLACK SABBATH - COMPLETE ALBUMS BOX 1970-1978 NEW CD US $81.04 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath T-Shirt [Men's XX Large, 2XL] 100% Cotton Gildan US $9.99 [0 bids]
ROCKABYE BABY - BLACK SABBATH LULLABY RENDITIONS NEW CD US $24.56 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Black Box: The Complete Original Black Sabbath 1970-1978 [Box] by Black... US $39.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die! 180 GRAM REISSUE LP hard rock prog RHINO US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH Master Of Reality Vertigo Swirl UK Original With Poster NEAR MINT! US $774.99 Buy It Now 7h 45m
BLACK SABBATH"HEAVEN AND HELL" RUSSIA LP MINT US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 46m
PANDEMONIUM: HOLE IN THE SKY CD METALLICA BLACK SABBATH SAXON JUDAS PRIEST METAL US $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Black Sabbath - Aus Tour 2013 - Laminated Promotional Tour Poster US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 46m
OZZY OSBOURNE 35"X25" MOSAIC TILE WALL POSTER BLACK SABBATH US $19.13 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Black Sabbath Technical Ecstasy Japan CD 23PD-137 US $9.99 [1 bids]
Black Sabbath We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll (Gatefold) *2-LP Set* (1976, WB) US $19.97 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Black Sabbath Paranoid Rock Metal Cassette US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ozzy Osbourne Live & Loud EU Vinyl Double LP Set with 2 Stickers Black Sabbath US $219.99 Buy It Now 9h 17m
BLACK SABBATH - 13, ORG 2013 JAPAN SHM-CD + OBI, NEW - SEALED! US $35.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Ozzy Osbourne No Rest for +1 Japan Vinyl LP with OBI Black Sabbath Zack Wylde US $89.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Rockabye Baby! - Lullaby Renditions Of Black Sabbath CD US $20.85 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 52m
BLACK SABBATH - LIVE EVIL NEW CD US $25.17 Buy It Now 10h
BLACK SABBATH (Iommi/Powell/Martin) - 1980s Magazine Poster US $7.49 Buy It Now 10h 45m
BLACK SABBATH ~ GREATEST HITS Deluxe Edition 2CD DIGIPAK NEW SEALED US $10.99 Buy It Now 11h
BLACK SABBATH SIGNED 10X8 PHOTO, GREAT STUDIO IMAGE, LOOKS GREAT FRAMED US $7.78 Buy It Now 11h 11m
OZZY OSBOURNE ~'I Don't Wanna Stop'~RARE UK 'PROMO ONLY' CD 2007~Black Sabbath US $16.63 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Black Sabbath 'Iron Man' Song Sheet Lyrical Art Print A4 Size US $8.31 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' Song Sheet Lyrical Art Print A4 Size US $8.31 Buy It Now 11h 28m
Black Sabbath 'War Pigs' Song Sheet Lyrical Art Print A4 Size US $8.31 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Black Sabbath Backtrackin' 21st Anniversay Australian CD - Excellent US $9.49 Buy It Now 11h 32m
JUDAS PRIEST-DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH -HEAVY METAL -BLACK SABBATH-RAINBOW-UFO US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(27%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"