WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

Black Sabbath, Vol.4Black Sabbath, Vol.4
Sabbath Bloody SabbathSabbath Bloody Sabbath
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' RollWe Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll
BLACK SABBATH Unorthodox LIVE LP RARE US $49.75 Buy It Now 1h 2m
A200 BLACK SABBATH / SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH JAPAN CD TECW-20146 US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BLACK SABBATH - 13 CD Philippines Limited Release SEALED US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid/Evil Woman rare Double Hit single from HOLLAND US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid/SnowblindYugoslavia 1980 ! Heavy Metal US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BLACK SABBATH DEHUMANIZER mega rare 1992 ITALIAN VINYL issue !! Heavy Metal. US $160.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE OBSESSED - The Church Within LTD BLACK COLLECTORS BOX / 1994 Black Sabbath US $25.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Black Sabbath Headless Cross1989/1999 emi classic rock series"cd is like new" US $39.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
BLACK SABBATH 'MOB RULES' EU IMPORT 12" SINGLE VERTIGO SAB 512 US $21.93 Buy It Now 1h 54m
BLACK SABBATH:MOB RULES DBL CD DELUXE EDTION US $16.87 Buy It Now 2h 3m
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID VERY RARE YUGO PRESS 7" PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
BLACK SABBATH - Eternal Stars CD featuring Ray Gillen & Jeff Fenholt NEW US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
BLACK SABBATH-13 DELUXE EDITION-JAPAN 2 SHM-CD BONUS TRACK H00 zd US $36.50 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BLACK SABBATH - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.31 Buy It Now 2h 30m
OZZY OSBOURNE POSTER "BLACK RAIN" LICENSED "BRAND NEW" BLACK SABBATH 60cm X 90cm US $11.11 Buy It Now 2h 44m
BLACK SABBATH OZZY OSBOURNE CD LOT SET COLLECTION PARANOID MASTER OF REALITY OZZ US $39.99 [0 bids]
Sabotage by Black Sabbath (CD, Jan-1990, Warner Bros.) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BLACK SABBATH "VG" US WARNER BROS. DOUBLE PLAY CASS "WE SOLD SOUL 2 ROCK US $8.97 Buy It Now 3h 6m
OZZY OSBOURNE (2 CD) THE ESSENTIAL ~ RANDY RHOADS ( BLACK SABBATH ) 80's *NEW* US $11.04 Buy It Now 3h 21m
BLACK SABBATH / OZZY OSBOURNE - OFFICIAL METAL KEYRING US $13.49 Buy It Now 3h 33m
BLACK SABBATH / OZZY OSBOURNE - OFFICIAL METAL KEYRING US $10.11 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Black Sabbath. Paranoid. 1970. SNC Records, 1992. Russia. Different cover design US $9.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Mob Rules (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY - 2 CD DELUXE EDITION - FACTORY SEALED US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - COMPLETE JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM SET - 6 CDS - ALL OUT OF PRINT US $560.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - 13 - Japan Jewel Case - SHM - Brand new with OZZY on Vocals US $34.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM - OUT OF PRINT UIGY-9034 - CD US $119.79 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Vol.4 JAPAN JEWEL CASE SHM CD - NEW OUT OF PRINT RARE UICY-20107 US $59.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - SELF TITLED S/T Black Sabbath [Deluxe Edition] - 2 CDs - NEW US $32.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - SELF TITLED S/T - JAPAN SHM JEWEL CASE CD - SEALED - UICY-20038 US $50.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES - DELUXE EXPANDED EDITION - 2 CD - NEW [602527350707] US $27.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY - JAPAN SHM - UICY-20106 - 4988005639080 US $50.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - TECHNICAL ECSTASY - JAPAN JEWEL CASE SHM - NEW RARE OOP US $69.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID [DELUXE EDITION] - NEW CD BOXSET - 0602517824447 US $29.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM -OUT OF PRINT CD US $111.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL - JAPAN SHM JEWEL CASE CD - FACTORY SEALED - OOP US $50.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM - UIGY-9088 - OOP CD US $91.79 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath, Vol. 4 - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM - OUT OF PRINT CD US $101.95 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID - JAPAN SHM JEWEL CASE - UICY-20039 OOP US $50.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM - OUT OF PRINT CD US $147.25 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath - SELF TITLED S/T - JAPAN MINI LP SACD SHM -OOP CD US $121.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES - JAPAN SHM JEWEL CASE CD -FACTORY SEALED Out of Print US $50.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - LIVE EVIL - DELUXE EDITION - NEW 2 CD US $27.43 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - BORN AGAIN - JAPAN JEWEL CASE SHM - OUT OF PRINT - NEW US $49.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH- Technical Ecstasy LP (2012 Remastered 3715300) Ozzy Osbourne US $20.88 Buy It Now 3h 46m
BLACK SABBATH- Sabotage LP (2012 Reissue Remastered) 371295 Ozzy Osbourne US $20.88 Buy It Now 3h 46m
BLACK SABBATH- Live at Last LP (2012 Reissue Remastered) 3715304 Ozzy Osbourne US $20.88 Buy It Now 3h 50m
BLACK SABBATH- Never Say Die LP (2012 Reissue Remastered) 3715303 Ozzy Osbourne US $19.58 Buy It Now 3h 53m
BLACK SABBATH Die Young 1980 France Vertigo Heavy Rock P/S 12" US $10.11 Buy It Now 3h 57m
BLACK SABBATH SEW ON PATCH 1980s US $4.28 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH 'NEVER SAY DIE' US IMPORT LP US $16.87 Buy It Now 4h 8m
BLACK SABBATH 'WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK N ROLL' UK DOUBLE LP US $21.93 Buy It Now 4h 8m
BLACK SABBATH 'LIVE AT LAST' UK LP US $15.18 Buy It Now 4h 8m
BLACK SABBATH 'THE ETERNAL IDOL' CANADIAN IMPORT LP US $21.93 Buy It Now 4h 8m
JAPAN PROMO SRCS 7776- OZZY OSBOURNE- Ozzmosis CD (1995 +OBI) Black Sabbath US $25.31 Buy It Now 4h 15m
the String Quartet Tribute to BLACK SABBATH CD 2002 Vitamin Records (CD-8685) US $5.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-13-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK F50 US $29.50 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Black Sabbath VOL. 4 LP Rare Original 1972 US $74.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
BLACK SABBATH 5 Track Promo EP CD 2000 # Ltd Edition selections from The Best Of US $5.00 [0 bids]
VERY RARE BLACK SABBATH 7 INCH VINYL RECORD ''PARANOID & SNOWBLIND" UK IMPORT US $6.05 [2 bids]
BLACK SABBATH PARANOID AUDIOPHILE 180 GRAM LIMITED EDITION 2004 ISSUE Sealed LP US $69.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
OZZY OSBOURNE - (Black Sabbath) Officially Licensed Pen (GP108) US $3.36 Buy It Now 4h 41m
BLACK SABBATH SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH cassette US $10.11 Buy It Now 4h 44m
BLACK SABBATH Technical Ecstasy SPAIN Spanish Press Cassette Tape K7 MC RARE!!!! US $10.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath ?- Unorthodox NEW LP rare & limited US $39.00 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE(KOREA LP 12")DIFFERENT SLEEVE THE ULTIMATE SIN black sabbath US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
BLACK SABBATH HEADLESS CROSS LP CD CASSETTE 1989 23X15 POSTER ADVERT MINT US $5.05 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Black Sabbath, Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath (CD, Apr-1988, Warner Bros.) US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Reverend Bizarre-In the Rectory... 2cd new Black Sabbath Saint Vitus Cathedral US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Reverend Bizarre-Harbinger of Metal cd new Black Sabbath Saint Vitus Cathedral US $13.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Black Sabbath - Headless Cross 12", Single US $19.42 Buy It Now 5h 34m
BLACK SABBATH NEW LARGE KEYRING (3) FREEP&P. US $4.79 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Black Sabbath, Sabotage, Vinyl LP Limited Edition Re-issue 180 gram US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
GEEZER BUTLER - BLACK SCIENCE (EAGCD001) BLACK SABBATH CD US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath T-Shirt [Men's Large] 100% Cotton Gildan US $14.99 [0 bids]
NATIVITY IN BLACK-A TRIBUTE TO BLACK SABBATH USED CD US $2.29 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Ozzy Osbourne of Black Sabbath T-Shirt [Men's X-Large] 100% Cotton Gildan US $14.99 [0 bids]
6h
Reverend Bizarre-Crush the Insects cd new Black Sabbath Saint Vitus Cathedral US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
6 Classic Rock Lps Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Guess Who US $24.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Black Sabbath - Born Again US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Lot of 3 rock and roll cassettes- Black Sabbath and Quiet Riot US $6.00 [0 bids]
DIO THE LAST IN LINE LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1stPR 1984 HEAVEN AND HELL Black sabbath US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
BLACK SABBATH DEHUMANIZER LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1st PRESS 1992 WITHOUT BARCODE US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
JOHN BONGIOVI PHIL COLLINS GENESIS BLACK SABBATH ELTON JOHN CD PROMO BRAZIL 1999 US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
BLACK SABBATH BORN AGAIN LP BRAZIL ONLY 1ST PRESS 1984 - RAINBOW - DEF LEPPARD US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
BLACK SABBATH Never Say Die LP Vinyl WB BSK3186 VG++ Ozzy Metal inner sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Osbourne Ozzy - CD No More Tears Special Edition Import Black Sabbath Dio US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
BLACK SABBATH RARE PARANOID PICTURE DISC & SABOTAGE LONDON PRESS dio ozzy record US $94.00 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul T Shirt - Brand New Official Merchandise US $23.55 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Black Sabbath - Collection (2001) {CD} D1013 US $5.05 Buy It Now 6h 57m
BLACK SABBATH 7" Paranoid UK Hard Heavy Metal Ozzy Osbourne SPAIN US $35.00 Buy It Now 7h 4m
BLACK SABBATH Tony Iommi No exta˝o al amor 7" Spain 45 PS US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 5m

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(27%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"