WE SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK AND ROLL

8. Changes
9. Sweet Leaf
10. Children of the Grave
11. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
12. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
13. Snowblind

- Rick Wakeman / Keyboards on Track 11

A Double Album Greatest Hits Package
Released December 1, 1975, Reissued Aug 1976
Re-Released April 13, 1999
* The viynl/cassette versions have two extra tracks (Warning & Laguna Sunrise). The CD was packaged as a single CD, and these were left off for space considerations.
* The 1996 remastered CD has the original album layout restored.

Thanks to Terra Australis for the addition

BLACK SABBATH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll Music

ParanoidParanoid
Rhino Warner Bros. 498 1990
BLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVDBLACK SABBATH LIVE...GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES DVD
Multiple Formats
Mob RulesMob Rules
Rhino 2013
Born AgainBorn Again
Sanctuary UK 2011
black sabbath master of reality 1985 nems reissue nel 6004 excellent US $40.32 Buy It Now 40m 29s
black sabbath vol 4 1985 nems reissue clalp 199 excellent US $40.32 Buy It Now 40m 29s
black sabbath sabbath bloody sabbath 1980 irish pressing nems label vinyl lp US $40.32 Buy It Now 40m 29s
BLACK SABBATH: IRON MAN - THE BEST OF CD NEW 2012 US $18.10 Buy It Now 42m 10s
MEGADETH Hidden Treasures +4 JAPAN CD OBI TOCP-8555 Alice Cooper Black Sabbath US $24.99 Buy It Now 46m 34s
BLACK SABBATH - NEVER SAY DIE NEW CD US $8.45 Buy It Now 50m 48s
BLACK SABBATH Technical Ecstasy UK Original LP 1976 Spaceship Vertigo w/Insert ! US $64.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Black Sabbath 13 Best Buy Exclusive Deluxe Edition 2013 Bonus Tracks US $26.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Ozzy Osbourne Mayhem Orig Lp Vinyl Black Sabbath Deep Purple Warp Monger Live US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
BLACK SABBATH same '70 japan org 1st press LP blue philips label SFX-7203 VO-6 US $89.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
NATIVITY IN BLACK: TRIBUTE TO BLACK SABBATH / VAR NEW CD US $9.89 Buy It Now 1h 17m
OZZY OSBOURNE ORIGINAL GRAPHITE ARTWORK (Black Sabbath Ozzfest MTV) US $132.08 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - THE ETERNAL IDOL - CASSETTE ALBUM 1987 US $8.05 Buy It Now 1h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - 13 CD ALBUM (June 10th 2013) US $12.89 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BLACK SABBATH Live LP "Their Satanic Majesties Return" LP Dio 1980 M/NM US $79.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Black Sabbath - Doomsday Recitation 2LP SET NM/NM 1977 Ozzy US $79.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
RARE BLACK SABBATH BLACKEST SABBATH German Issue on the Vertigo label SCARCE. US $29.04 [0 bids]
RARE BLACK SABBATH ATTENTION German Issue on the Fontana label scarce. US $24.20 [0 bids]
RARE BLACK SABBATH HEADLESS CROSS 14th Album 1st pressing on I.R.S label. US $37.60 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath "Ozzfest 98 Tour" T Shirt, xl US $12.89 [0 bids]
1980 German-Pressing Hard Rock LP - BLACK SABBATH "Heaven And Hell" VERTIGO US $14.39 [9 bids]
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules CD SANCTURAY US $19.11 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Black Sabbath - Dio Years [CD New] US $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 28m
black sabbath under the wheels of confusion US $20.00 [1 bids]
JOHNNY HALLYDAY BLACK SABBATH VICKY ROD STEWART SEVERIN US $499.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
BLACK SABBATH - Sabotage (reissue) - gatefold LP US $30.41 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Black Sabbath - Poster US $1.60 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Poster US $3.21 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath "Attention" Album Vinyl US $5.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH. 'Masters Of Reality' LP - Box Sleeve - Sweet Life US $10.49 [3 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE - UNDER COVER CD ( BLACK SABBATH ) *NEW* US $11.83 Buy It Now 3h 19m
BLACK SABBATH - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (reissue) - gatefold LP US $33.64 Buy It Now 3h 23m
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES NEW CD US $8.45 Buy It Now 3h 39m
BLACK SABBATH never say die 7" silver label design b/w she's gone (sab001) uk ve US $8.45 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Paranoid by Black Sabbath (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Jeff Fenholt SINGS THE CHRISTMAS CLASSICS CD Black Sabbath US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (CD, 1990, Warner Bros.) US $3.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - REUNION - 2 CASSETTE SET - DECEMBER 1997 - BIRMINGHAM - ENGLAND US $16.95 Buy It Now 4h 30m
BLACK SABBATH WHEELS OF CONFUSION CD US $16.12 [0 bids]
13 [Deluxe Edition] by Black Sabbath US $6.50 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath ?LISTEN? 1st 1Y 2Y Gatefold UK LP WWA 006 1973 EX/EX+ US $40.32 Buy It Now 4h 57m
NATIVITY IN BLACK-A TRIBUTE TO BLACK SABBATH (CD) US $8.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-LIVE EVIL (LP) US $10.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-LIVE AT LAST (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - Master of Reality LP UK 1971 on EX = BOX COVER vertigo swirl US $150.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH-GREATEST HITS (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - NEVER SAY DIE D/Remastered CD ~ OZZY OSBOURNE ~ 70's METAL *NEW* US $13.46 Buy It Now 5h 10m
BLACK SABBATH 4 coasters boxed free UK P&P gift 4 designs US $12.89 Buy It Now 5h 22m
BLACK SABBATH BORN AGAIN DELUXE EDITION MINI LP 2 CD OBI US $17.09 Buy It Now 5h 24m
BLACK SABBATH HEAVEN AND HELL DELUXE EDITION MINI LP 2 CD OBI US $17.09 Buy It Now 5h 24m
BLACK SABBATH SEVENTH STAR FEATURING TONY IOMMI DELUXE EDITION MINI LP 2 CD OBI US $17.09 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Live... Gathered In Their Masses - 3761424 US $23.52 Buy It Now 5h 24m
BLACK SABBATH 4 coasters boxed "13" design free UK P&P gift US $12.89 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Black Sabbath - Paranoid PICTURE DISC 1982 NEMS UNPLAYED US $48.40 [0 bids]
13 by Black Sabbath (Deluxe 2 CD) [Deluxe Edition,Extra Tracks] Format: Audio CD US $19.67 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Black Sabbath - Volume 4 USA PROMO WARNER BROS 1972 US $48.40 [0 bids]
Metallica - Frantic/Black Sabbath - Paranoid PICTURE DISC VERTIGO RSD 2010 US $72.60 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Split Single) ITALIAN JUKEBOX PROMO VERTIGO 1970 US $40.33 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Headless Cross PICTURE DISC 1989 I.R.S. UNPLAYED US $48.40 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Paranoid USA PROMO WARNER BROS 1970 RARE US $40.33 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Tomorrow's Dream (Split 7") ITALIAN JUKEBOX PROMO VERTIGO 1972 US $40.33 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Greatest Hits PICTURE DISC 1982 NEMS UNPLAYED US $48.40 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Am I Going Insane (Radio) UK ORIGINAL NEMS 1975 US $32.27 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Tomorrow's Dream UK ORIGINAL VERTIGO 1972 US $40.33 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Tomorrow's Dream ITALIAN ORIGINAL P/S VERTIGO 1972 VERY RARE US $64.53 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath UK ORIGINAL WWA 1973 US $16.13 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH "Black Sabbath, Vol. 4" CD, 1990 Warner Bros. (Compact Disc) US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Black Sabbath -Never Say Die! (CD, Feb-1988, Warner Bros.) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath -Mob Rules (CD, Oct-2008, Rhino/Warner Bros. (Label)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
CD Ozzy Osbourne - Live (Mega RARE - Black Sabbath - Brazil Only) NEW US $16.99 [0 bids]
CD Ozzy Osbourne -Live (Mega RARE - Black Sabbath - Brazil Only) NEW & SELEAD US $17.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH- Never Say Die-Scarce UK 60 minute PAL video recorded live in 1978 US $12.89 Buy It Now 6h
black sabbath we sold our souls for rock n roll sew on patch US $5.57 Buy It Now 6h 3m
BLACK SABBATH MASTER OF REALITY CD GOLD DISC FREE P&P! US $145.18 Buy It Now 6h 11m
BLACK SABBATH CD PHOTO PIC GOLD DISC FREE P+P US $193.51 Buy It Now 6h 11m
black sabbath master of reality sew on patch US $5.63 Buy It Now 6h 13m
BLACK SABBATH - BEST OF NEW CD US $28.66 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzman Cometh [Bonus Disc] Original 1997. Black Sabbath. US $4.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath Never Say Die cassette 1978 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Black Sabbath - Copper - Cassette US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 46m
1976 Black Sabbath Technical Ecstasy LP Record Warner Brothers US $3.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - MOB RULES / NM MINT- / VERTIGO - JAPAN US $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 9m
13 LP by Black Sabbath, Vinyl, 2013, Ozzy Osbourne, Doom metal, RATM Iommi US $6.66 [3 bids]
Black Sabbath Self titled (CD) metal rock debut US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
BLACK SABBATH - NEVER SAY DIE! - ORIGINAL 1978 FRENCH LP VERTIGO US $14.90 Buy It Now 7h 16m
VA KERRANG! The Album 2CD Sepultura Pantera Megadeth Black Sabbath Judas Priest US $1.99 [1 bids]
BLACK SABBATH - SEVENTH STAR FEATURING TONY IOMMI NEW CD US $8.45 Buy It Now 7h 21m
OZZY & BLACK SABBATH: HOW THEY CAME TO BE NEW DVD US $24.33 Buy It Now 7h 21m
BLACK SABBATH DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL DONINGTON PARK OZZY IOMMI WARD 2012 MUG US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Heaven & Hell Devil You Know (2009) Iommi Dio Buttler Appice Black Sabbath US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Sabotage-Black Sabbath LP US $19.28 Buy It Now 7h 41m
BLACK SABBATH 13 Thirteen Limited Double CD With Lenticular Sleeve NEW US $17.67 Buy It Now 7h 42m
FORCEFIELD II * THE TALISMAN black sabbath tony martin cozy powel rainbow dio US $29.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH * PARANOID * MEGA RARE 1971 WHITE LABEL PROMO * MISPRINT !! US $99.00 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH: Wicked World- Iron Man-Japan 7" Vinyl Vertigo SFL-1345 Stereo PSL US $148.98 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Ozzy Osbourne~Original OZ 2XLP Speak of the devil NM 1982 Black Sabbath Metal US $21.10 Buy It Now 8h 12m
BLACK SABBATH - sew on patch - Master Of Reality - 100mm square FREE P US $6.44 Buy It Now 8h 14m
BLACK SABBATH - sew on patch - Vol.4 - 100mm square FREE P&P gift US $6.44 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Don Kirshner Rock Power Sealed SEALED Black Sabbath BTO Alice Cooper Faces Ronco US $9.99 [0 bids]
We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (CD, Aug-1988, Warner Bros.) US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 29m

More places to buy BLACK SABBATH music online Buy BLACK SABBATH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLACK SABBATH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(25%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(41%)

BLACK SABBATH We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This is the first "Sabbath" compilation. Even at the time of release, it could not be considered as a great one. Songs are completely messed up and tracklist is quite chaotic to say the least.

Only their greatest album "Parano´d" will be honourably represented. Four songs of which three of the most praised "Sabbath" ones: "Parano´d" of course as well as "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". Three gigantic tracks which could not fail to sit on a compilation of course.

Their debut album is also not forgotten with three songs, of which the excellent "N.I.B.". But can you tell me what "Changes" and "Am I Going Insane" are doing here ? Although the latter was not a bad song, featuring some "Floyd" psychedelia, it does not belong to the best of their repertoire. "Changes" being one of their poorest song ever written. A mellow and useless rock ballad.

This compilation is totally useless nowadays. With the great double CD set released in 2000 ("Best Of"), it is only a pale overview of their early work. But don't get me wrong : there are a lot of "Sabbath" anthems in here. The only thing I would tell you is that moneywise their later "Best Of" is a far much better financial deal. So...

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#144339) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Great compilation, great introduction for a young listener. I started listening the band with "Vol. 4" and this compilation and I enjoyed them both. A word about selection: it's really unnecessary - the band had released their essential albums so far and all those albums are quite homogenic, so it won't matter if some other songs are selected - BLACK SABBATH released six albums before this, first compilation, was it really possible to make better selection? Oh certainly, but who cares? I remember I was a newbie and this was my introduction and I enjoyed it. Almost all the songs are equally good, which is not a case too often when publishing a compilation. So, as the title suggests, this is an excellent addition to your rock & metal collection, it's non-essential for prog rock. Still, I got this one as a pure coincidence, so I am suggesting original studio albums for starters.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#144836) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars A Compilation to Maintain Momentum ...

Black Sabbath's record labels quickly responded with a million-selling double-LP compilation,"We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" (December 1975), and the band contemplated a more pronounced change of musical style. This brought about disagreement, with guitarist Iommi wanting to add elements to the sound, including horns, and singer Osbourne resisting any variation in the formula. So, you can imagine how tense the relationship between Iommi and Osbourne. Nevertheless, the album comprises compilation of songs that favor newbies or beginners. It's really good for introducing the music of Black Sabbath to new people.

Yes, from commercial standpoint this was a compilation to maintain momentum as it contains songs from the first six albums from "Black Sabbath" until "Sabotage". The opening track represents the first song the band created and it's basically titled as the name of the band which was inspired by 1963 Italian horror film. From this basic composition you can hear how Iommi invented power chords (as his fingers were injured when he worked as factory worker. His manager introduced him with a record of Django Reinhardt - guitar player with injured fingers as well). It moves beautifully to "Wizard", legendary "Paranoid" from the album with the same title which made Black Sabbath name skyrocketted, "War Pigs" and "Iron Man". The nice ballad "Changes" is also featured here while my favorite "Snowblind" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" will satisfy you!

For those of you who have never heard the music of Black Sabbath, buy this CD! It represents the band's best tracks even though there are still many other excellent tracks which were included, e.g. "The Writ", "Hole In The Sky" etc. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#146192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
3 stars Mid seventies and commercially a good move for a compilation at the time for Black Sabbath. This album encapsulates nearly all their vintage material up to this point. Many would say that after this things started going downhill for BS but this would be mostly unfair as like all bands with disruptive personnel changes and evolving directions the music changed but not necessarilly in a bad way.

There are so many great songs on We Sold Our Soul For Rock And Roll and like all compilations they very rarely compare to the original studio releases but if you are after a mix of early Sabbath then check out ' Sweet Leaf', the scinitillating ' Snowblind' and ' Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' A good compilation for the early days of Black Sabbath.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#179660) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Great material in another pointless compilation

The first six Sabbath albums are considered by most fans to be the required Osbourne-era albums. Doing a compilation of that much material, as it would be for classic Floyd or Genesis titles, should really be expected to fall to the hand of doom (pun intended.) I've always maintained new fans are much better off ignoring stuff like this in favor of acquiring the original recordings where the material is presented properly and with context. But judging the title on its own merit this is at the least a reasonable attempt if ultimately still a failure. Selecting a couple tracks from each disc is a nightmare for any fan of any classic band to contemplate, but here the band chose the predictable titles for the first few. After that it gets more debatable and by the time we arrive at Sabotage their choice is akin to actual sabotage of the album. I have to believe any Sabbath fan (certainly those I've met) would sacrifice the illustrious "Am I Going Insane?" (apparently yes, Oz) with "Hole in the Sky" or "Symptom of the Universe" or nearly....any....other....track. But it really matters not because the aptly titled compilation is neither necessary nor desirable for any real Sabbath fan. Once again folks, save your hard earned money for the real thing, the original albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#234245) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the mid seventies I actually liked this band. These days, I still appreciate a few of the songs, but for the most part, I've lost interest. This collection is one of the albums from my wife's record collection.

Listening to this album for the first time in a long while, most notably I can hear how Black Sabbath was influential on many of the metal bands (and by extension, the prog metal bands) that have flourished in the decades since their heyday.

Since Black Sabbath didn't really get much airplay back then (they were much too "satanic" for mainstream radio in the seventies), only a few of the tracks, like Paranoid, or Iron Man, could be called "greatest hits". So the song selection was pretty much subjective to the tastes of whoever compiled the album. As such, it is not bad. It does give a decent view of what Sabbath was about back then.

It just sounds a bit tame these days.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#293632) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010

Post a review of BLACK SABBATH "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll"