Pain Of Salvation - Scarsick CD (album) cover

SCARSICK

Pain Of Salvation

Prog Leviathan
2 stars My biggest disappointment of 2007 and, I think, a huge step backward in the band's stellar library. After listening to it several times, here are my thoughts:

- the guitar is as bland as can be, with uninventive, crunchy riffing and conspicuously absent solos - songwriting is uncreative and lacking any melody worth mentioning and-- with the exception of the horribly infectious hooks in "Disco Queen"-- entirely forgettable. - vocals are a sad mix of genuine poignancy (wasted on these songs), and trashy rap-rock growls more befitting the lame, teen pop- metal bands popular five years ago. - and, worst of all... the trite, angry, insultingly unsubtle lyrics which (in all likelihood) are preaching to the converted. We deserve better.

A huge waste of such powerful energy demonstrated by Daniel Gildenlow which misfires tremendously. I am I alone in thinking this would have worked MUCH better as a solo project, rather then involving and poorly utilizing the band's otherwise excellent talent?

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 2 Lyrics/Vocals: 1 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Prog Leviathan | 2/5 |