Wobbler - Afterglow CD (album) cover

AFTERGLOW

Wobbler

Wicket
2 stars Blah

From first listen it's obvious this band is oozing with talent. So either, I have no idea what music is supposed to sound like, or I'm just not hearing it.

I couldn't listen to 5 minutes of "Hinterland" without being bored to tears, while I've managed to listen to this entire album, I still can't find anything to like. The first big track "Imperial Winter White" takes too long for the vocalist to enter, and every time he sings (which isn't many, which begs the question, why not just make it an instrumental) it just sounds out of place. The song isn't very cohesive, the instrumentation is snoresville, and I have a strong feeling these guys were just making up the track as they went along. Nothing wrong with that, but it really sounds it though, and that's not a quality you really want to make obvious to the listener.

"In Taberna" fares far better, there's a bit more display of instrumental prowess (which I know these guys have, they just hardly show it), there's a bit better phrasing from section to section for the most part. The renaissance ditty towards the end is still a bit out of place, but in general it's by far the best song of their repertoire I've ever heard. And I'd still give that song about 3 stars max.

And frankly that's all I can say. Everything else looks like just filler, and SOUNDS like filler. Perhaps these guys prefer the instrumental stuff, and they should, as "In Taberna" is proof they can do it. I'll listen to "Rites At Dawn" soon, but as of the impression I have from these two albums, I know that they can make good instrumental jams, I'm just not sure they can make good albums yet.

Wicket | 2/5 |