Jethro Tull - A Passion Play  CD (album) cover

A PASSION PLAY

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Slartibartfast
5 stars Well, if you thought Jethro Tull took on religion with Aqualung, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

I think that's probably why this album doesn't get a lot of respect. And then there's that irritating Hare Who Lost His Spectacles bit. Actually, being a Monty Python fan, that doesn't bother me a bit.

Passion Play is musically very interesting and has some great lines: "All along the icy wastes there are faces smiling in the gloom." "(The examining body examined her body)" "All of this and some of that's the only way to skin the cat." The whole "hare who lost his spectacles" bit makes me think "hare who lost his testicles" for some reason whenever I hear it. "But after all he did have a spare pair." "Show me a good man. I'll show you the door." "Here's the everlasting rub, neither am I good or bad. I'd give up my halo for a horn and a horn for the hat I once had." "Everyone's saved, we're in the grave, see you there for afternoon tea." Eh, I could go on, but I don't want to border on lyrical plagiarism for this review.

The music here certainly has some of the important qualities that define classic prog. It's got dark moments, complexity, and moments of beauty, with a few silly things thrown in for good measure.

They really don't make it like this any more. May actually be the only time they've made it like this, period. Maybe a bad or a good thing. Not a bad thing for me.

Slartibartfast | 5/5 |