Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason CD (album) cover

A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Tom Ozric
3 stars During the 80's, many precious bands sacrificed quality over sales and popularity - Floyd were no exception. Having got that rather brash generalisation off my chest, 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' is a fairly decent listen, but really adds nothing to the whole Space/Psychedelic faction of Progressive music. I remember waiting for hours, subjected to listening to, what can only be described as 'absolute pus', a local radio station announcing that they intend to play some of the new Pink Floyd album - well after waiting some time, lo and behold, here come the excerpts from the up-coming release. I was totally thrilled. They ended up playing the entire first side of the vinyl. I taped the affair and listened to it several times a day until the LP was in at the local record bar (I actually took a day off school to go and purchase it). I loved the introductory piece Signs of Life - what can only be described as a 'movie for your ears' - clever and experimental, what a comeback. The catchy pop-song 'Learning to Fly', was a commercial success, but still a quality song when compared to some of the dross that was released at the time. 'The Dogs of War' had a venomous bite to it, particularly Dave Gilmour's vocal delivery. The song is blues-based, but has a good feel to it. 'One Slip' is the slip into mainstream commercialdom for me, but I do listen to the song without being put off, it has an interesting intro. 'On the Turning Away' is somewhat anthemic, but has a great melody and Gilmour's soloing is quite impressive and enjoyable.

The songs on the 2nd side sounded a little more faithful to their reputation. 'Yet Another Movie' holds an ethereal vibe to it, and is one of the winners of the album. It segues into a little motif entitled 'Round and Around', which tops off the piece in fine form. 'A New Machine - Part 1' is just some prose that's belted out by Gilmour, albeit vocoder manipulated - same goes for 'A New Machine - Part 2', not adding up to much within the overall picture, but eclectic never-the-less. 'Terminal Frost' is a semi-lengthy instrumental track that I find is a bit dull - it features some lovely piano melodies and some fine saxophone playing, backed with some wordless female voices - nice, but somewhat middle-of-the-road. The epic of the album is the near 9 minute 'Sorrow', a fine musical extravaganza in true Floyd fashion - Gilmour's guitar intro is big, and I mean BIG !!!!!!!!! A worthwhile track to finish off the album. a big '3' for the rating of this good, but unfortunately, inessential release.

Tom Ozric | 3/5 |