Arena - Pride CD (album) cover

PRIDE

Arena

rakam
3 stars Sophomore jinx ?

The follow-up to the acclaimed Songs From The Lion's Cage (which I reviewed earlier).

This album is "introducing" new singer Paul Wrightson and bassist John Jowitt and it's a smart move from Pointer and Nolan.

Unfortunately, the music is less inspired than before, particularly the Crying For Help moments that I can barely stand here (except for the first one). It seems that the band was struggling at the time they were working on this album.

For fans of Arena, it's still good, but I think this the weakest of their studio albums at this time.

My conclusion will be the same (a little cheating from me, heh heh..) I would say that it's certainly not Arena's best album so it's not essential, if you are short on time or money you can skip this one and go for the higher rated albums. If you fell in love with Arena (like me) and want all their albums, you won't go wrong with this one. If you are close-minded (rightfully or not) or hating neo-prog, this album won't change your mind.

Rating : 3 stars (good but non-essential) but leaning towards 2 stars.

rakam | 3/5 |