Genesis - From Genesis To Revelation CD (album) cover

FROM GENESIS TO REVELATION

Genesis

UMUR
2 stars The first album from Genesis is generally overlooked in the discography of the band. The music is of another nature than their later efforts, but hints of future grandiour are there, if you listen close enough.

Genesis didnīt have their symphonic sound yet, and the album is really a collection of 2-4 minute long Pop/ rock songs. The expression is rather melancholic and simple.

There are some really great songs on this album though, which I find really enjoyable. The mix is not that good, but you can easily hear whatīs happening. Songs like Where The Sour Turns To Sweet, The Serpent and In the Wilderness are good solid tracks.

Phil Collins and Steve Hackett had not joined the band at this point, and wouldnīt until Nursery Cryme, which meant that Jonathan Silver plays the drums and Anthony Phillips plays the guitar. Anthony would also play on Trespass where he would make a much bigger impact than on this album.

If you are a diehard fan like me you will surely enjoy this early attempt from Genesis. Itīs not the place to start for new fans though as this is not really comparable to what they stood for in their Symphonic Peter Gabriel period.

Personally I would give this one 3 stars as I find this album enjoyable and good, but I realise that this is a collecters item and it probably wonīt have any relevance to anyone else than completists. This means I have to give this one 2 stars. Not because itīs bad, but because itīs simply only for the diehards.

UMUR | 2/5 |