Genesis - Trespass CD (album) cover

TRESPASS

Genesis

UMUR
4 stars Entrance to the world of symphonic prog rock. This is the place to start when speaking of Genesis. Allthough Genesis first album From Genesis to Revelation was a good Pop/ Rock album, it didnīt really show what youīre in for with Trespass their softmore album. A new drummer was added to the band as John Mayhew had taken over from Jonathan Silver. The other band members were Peter Gariel, Tony Banks, Michael Rutherford and Anthony Phillips.

Allthough not perfect, this is a splendid album, that I enjoy listening to every time. Tony Banks has a much more prominent role on Trespass than he had on From Genesis to Revelation which is very much due to the fact that he uses a mellotron on Trespass. Itīs not the most mellotron laden album I have heard though, and I feel that many of the symphonic elements are created because the whole band uses their strenght to produce this sound.

There are extremely beautiful melodies on display here, and every song comes up with something new. My favorites are White Mountain and The Knife. White Mountain because it has a very melancholic melody and some great lyrics and The Knife for being very progressive and aggressive, something I donīt normally think of when listening to Genesis, but this particular song is pretty aggressive with lines like; "Some of You are Going to Die, Martyrs of cource to the freedom that I shall provide". This combined with the fact that there are some really heavy riffs in The Knife makes this a pretty mean song.

Let me be frank. This is not the best album Genesis ever made, but it is very essential to every prog collection, as it is still one of the better in the genre.

UMUR | 4/5 |