Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

NURSERY CRYME

Genesis

UMUR
5 stars Nursery Cryme! What a wonderful album. This is the first Genesis album featuring the classic seventies lineup of Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Michael Rutherford and newcomers to the band Steve Hachett and Phil Collins. These five musicians would create magic over the next couple of years. A magic that hasnīt lost itīs flavour even though these albums are 30+ years old.

Nursery Cryme even though considered by many to be inferior to Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound is a great album. Personally I donīt find it inferior. The production is not very good, but the song material is as strong as on the other two albums.

The album starts with the great epic The Musical Box which starts out as a very emotional song and ends with an inferno. This is one of my favorite Genesis songs as it has anything I wanīt from them. Mellow passages, beautiful melodies and a great progressive touch. Note that both Tony Banks, Steve Hackett and Michael Rutherford plays 12 string acoustic guitars on this album. It is heard on The Musical Box.

For Absent Friends is a nice mellow short track, where if I am not mistaking, Phil Collins sings lead for the first time in Genesis.

The Return Of The Giant Hogweed is another great epic with some really great lyrics about how the Hogweed came to England. It is the most heavy song on the album, and a song I enjoy very much.

Seven Stones is a beautiful song which is build around a great Piano riff from Tony Banks. Note the beautiful ending with the mellotron, itīs just a moment of pure bliss for a prog head.

Harold the Barrel is one of my favorite Genesis songs ever. It only lasts for 2:55 minutes which is really short, but so much happens in this song. It changes mood several times. There are some great lyrics too. I find them so funny and full of life. The scene where Harolds mom comes to the townhall and shouts at him that "if your Father was alive he would be very very very upset" is just hilarious.

Harlequin is a mellow song with a lot of choir arrangements, and I find it very pleasant allthough it might be the weakest track on Nursey Cryme.

The last song on Nursery Cryme "The Fountain Of Salmacis" is the third epic the album, and what a great song it is. The lyrics are clever and the music is beautiful. Lots of mellotron on this one. Peter delievers one of his best vocal performances ever on this song. It really moves me.

Itīs so hard to really describe me feelings for this album, because I worship it so much, but I hope my excitement shines through. I find Nursery Cryme to be a masterpiece, and a one of a kind album.

UMUR | 5/5 |