The Residents - Animal Lover CD (album) cover

ANIMAL LOVER

The Residents

RIO/Avant-Prog

Slartibartfast
4 stars You may think that you don't like the Residents now, but wait until you hear this. OK that's a bit sarcastic.

I found it browsing at a local independent record store. I had two video and two CD titles in my collection and always found them interesting but not to the point of trying much except on the rare occasion, the last one being Have A Bad Day (1996). Animal Lover rekindled my interest in the band.

There's still the demented and trademark sound of this outfit, but it seems they have aged well like a fine (rancid/vinegar?) wine. The first four tracks are standard Resident's weirdness, but there's those prog elements cropping up. When I first heard the instrumental, Mr. Bee's Bumble, I realized these guys had truly progressed in their music. Inner Space is a creepy sad song about a father dying. Molly Harvey has really added a soft edge to the band with her vocals. The instrumental Dreaming Of An Anthill (Teaming) is sublimely spooky. Let's face it, the whole album is creepy. It may be best you sample it before you buy.

It's a really cool concept album and they did a good job of making the CD package. You get lyrics mixed with written stories from various animal's viewpoints. The CD is a hardback kind of package. If you fall for the music on the main CD, the supplemental disc is also a must have, variations and explorations with the stuff on the main disc.

Not a band for everybody, but I would say this album is the best place to start if you want to explore the prog weirdness that is the Residents.. PLEASE SOMEBODY! BURN MY BONES!

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |