ANIMAL LOVER

The Residents Animal Lover album cover

Buy THE RESIDENTS Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

Disc One (58:48)

1. On the Way (To Oklahoma) (4:06)
2. Olive and Gray (4:07)
3. What Have My Chickens Done Now? (4:24)
4. Two Lips (2:43)
5. Mr. Bee's Bumble (3:25)
6. Inner Space (4:18)
7. Dead Men (3:25)
8. My Window (5:19)
9. Ingrid's Only Tongue (1:55)
10. Mother No More (3:19)
11. Dreaming of an Anthill (Teeming) (2:23)
12. Elmer's Song (4:34)
13. The Monkey Man (4:01)
14. The Whispering Boys (4:28)
15. Burn My Bones (6:21)

Disc Two (29:19)

1. The Window (Opening) (2:55)
2. Anger/Hunger (6:51)
3. Too Lips (1:38)
4. Yes/No (1:22)
5. Animal Lover (6:28)
6. The Wondow (Closing) (10:09)

Total Time (88:07)

Search THE RESIDENTS Animal Lover lyrics

Search THE RESIDENTS Animal Lover tabs

The Residenst/instruments

Thanks to Spanky for the addition

THE RESIDENTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE RESIDENTS Animal Lover Music

Animal LoverAnimal Lover
Mute 2005

More places to buy THE RESIDENTS music online Buy THE RESIDENTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE RESIDENTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE RESIDENTS Animal Lover ratings distribution

THE RESIDENTS Animal Lover reviews

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars You may think that you don't like the Residents now, but wait until you hear this. OK that's a bit sarcastic.

I found it browsing at a local independent record store. I had two video and two CD titles in my collection and always found them interesting but not to the point of trying much except on the rare occasion, the last one being Have A Bad Day (1996). Animal Lover rekindled my interest in the band.

There's still the demented and trademark sound of this outfit, but it seems they have aged well like a fine (rancid/vinegar?) wine. The first four tracks are standard Resident's weirdness, but there's those prog elements cropping up. When I first heard the instrumental, Mr. Bee's Bumble, I realized these guys had truly progressed in their music. Inner Space is a creepy sad song about a father dying. Molly Harvey has really added a soft edge to the band with her vocals. The instrumental Dreaming Of An Anthill (Teaming) is sublimely spooky. Let's face it, the whole album is creepy. It may be best you sample it before you buy.

It's a really cool concept album and they did a good job of making the CD package. You get lyrics mixed with written stories from various animal's viewpoints. The CD is a hardback kind of package. If you fall for the music on the main CD, the supplemental disc is also a must have, variations and explorations with the stuff on the main disc.

Not a band for everybody, but I would say this album is the best place to start if you want to explore the prog weirdness that is the Residents.. PLEASE SOMEBODY! BURN MY BONES!

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#151593) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 18, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars The Resident's 'Animal Lover' is supposed to be music that represents the sound of nature copulating; the 'rhythm tracks are based entirely on animal noise mating patterns generated primarily by cicadas and frogs. Also the actual sounds of mating whales and humans were used for longer tonal passages,' according to Residents website. It opens innocently enough with On The Way (to Oklahoma), a repeated infectious melody locks into the brain easily.

Olive and Gray has some melancholy violins and slow rhythmic synths, but things begin to take off a bit with What Have My Chickens Done Now? This one has character performances such as an old lady 'They accused my daughter and Scratched her on the face and hand They bite their tongues and bear their teeth, Then they scratch me til I bleed' The girl replies and her 5 sisters with sweet sung dialogue such as 'Around her neck they tied a noose, And they killed her family too.' So now we know her chickens are to blame for her murder 'Only her chickens know now'.

Two Lips has a nice little rhythm, and some sinister vocals along with high pitched children's voices. In this scenario of purchasing tulips it is 'buy or die!' Mr. Bee's Bumble is a cool instrumental I really like with crazy frenetic synthesizers over a punctuated percussion section.

Inner Space has a nice female vocal, Molly Harvey, a Resident regular since 'Demons Dance Alone', with a sea shanty style and sparkling synths make this a personal favourite. Dead Men is next and just goes on with a simple melody about the demise of the dead. My Window is a sombre bleak sound with low keyboards and ethereal nuances. It has a Japanese vibe in the instrumentation, and the Louisiana twang returns in the vocals, a component of just about every Residents album since their inception.

Ingrid's Oily Tongue is another instrumental with synth melodies, ominous sounds and ascending rhythms. The trumpets augment the soundscape considerably. Mother No More is a poignant piece that is rather mournful. Then another instrumental of beauty with Dreaming of an Anthill (Teeming). Elmer's Song opens with a capella harmonies and then a minimalist musical background with a nursery rhyme vocal.

Molly Harvey has a field day acting like a Japanese lady on The Monkey Man and the backdrop of Oriental instruments is perfect. The atmosphere is very bleak, then becomes less so on The Whispering Boys with its commercial melody. Burn My Bones ends this on a note of wilful death, very scary vocoder voice tweaked on a low deep setting and then an extended coda of ominous sounds of synths and high pitched vocal intonations.

Another Residents album that defies description but sits somewhere between clever and ridiculous. Only by listening can you make your own mind up. I did not find this to be one of the highlights in the Residents illustrious career but many will try to prove me wrong. 3 stars for the few good songs.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#1071124) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 03, 2013

4 stars The never normal Residents have a 'Cyberman' singing on the opener 'On the Way to Oklahoma', where (the story goes) - a guy goes mad, thinking he's a tiger and kills a dog. A good return to form if you ask me. Tuneful, scary and one of the darkest albums they've released. A lot of folk seem ... (read more)

Report this review (#456697) | Posted by Dobermensch | Friday, June 03, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Animal Lover finds the Residents fine tuning another certain sound. They have created an album with one of their more unique sounds this time around, while not making the whole album lacking. They have also managed to create one of their most moving songs to date. My Window is so morose, yet i ... (read more)

Report this review (#47440) | Posted by Spanky | Tuesday, September 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars THE RESIDENTS is one of my favorite unknow musical band ever. The band is one of the most strange, unknow and important revolution in musical domain. They are the first to create video clip, to initialized several musical styles and promote the "obscurity theory" (Never show their faces). Is ... (read more)

Report this review (#43674) | Posted by D.Noisserger | Sunday, August 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE RESIDENTS "Animal Lover"