Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

PinkPangolin
4 stars A lot of people seem to think that htis is their favourite Genesis album. I'm personally not quite so sure - I find it a bit of a mix.

It starts immensely powerfully with one of my favourite Genesis tracks - Dance with the Moonlight Knight, but then you start to begin to see even in these early days Genesis trying to take a commercial stance with "I know what I like" - a truly great pop song with an inspired lyric, but a diversion for them.

Then it breaks out into the absolute majesty of "Firth of Fifth" - a masterpiece of tremendous power that you can really lose yourself in.

And then... (so sorry to say this), it falls onto "More Fool Me" which is a truly horrible 1970's pop song, and perhaps the beginning of the writing on the wall for Genesis....?

"The Battle for Epping Forest" is OK, but erratic and staggered - it doesn't flow very well and is poor compared to "Firth of Fifth", and somehow the lyrics are annoying.

The album then recovers again for the last three tracks - the "Cinema Show" obviously being the best - a lovely piece, although a little over-soft sometimes.

Some of the music is over-soppy/ wet in places, but is saved by the awesomeness of "Dance with the Moonlight Knight" and "Firth of Fifth" - these two tracks recover it to 4 stars for me.

Not as good as the final Gabriel album "The Lamb...", which hardened up somewhat and was more interesting - and which I really enjoy.

PinkPangolin | 4/5 |