Royal Hunt - Moving Target  CD (album) cover

MOVING TARGET

Royal Hunt

progrules
4 stars My compliments for the reviewers of this site because they all recognize the impeccable performance by this band. The last few years I acquired several albums by this band, most of them really good but this one is outstanding. I was suprised to find out this band is really religious, quite unusual for a metal band but the songs with religious lyrics don't sound strange or odd to me. Apparently it's a combination that can work if done in the right way. Even though I'm not religious myself I consider it an interesting combination that really intrigues me.

Moving Target is an outstanding album with wonderful songs, hardly metal-like in many cases just energetic with beautiful melodies and of course an amazing vocalist (D C Cooper) and a terrific guitar player (Jacob Kjaer). Far away, 1348 and Time are fantastic examples but my absolute favourite is Stay Down. This is a heavenly song, even for this one alone I would recommend this to lovers of melodic heavy music especially if you're also fond of great guitar solos.

So with all these superlatives you might expect the masterpiece status but I have to say, it just isn't. To me it suits the 4 star description of "Excellent addition to any prog collection" (and even a little bit better). So 4,5 rounded down to 4.

progrules | 4/5 |