Tusmørke - Ført Bak Lyset CD (album) cover

FØRT BAK LYSET

Tusmørke

Prog Folk

Progfan97402
4 stars Third full album from Tusmørke and it's a great on. Their previous album Riset Bak Spielet featured some great material, but it got bogged down with "Black Swift" and "All is Lost", songs that were a tad repetitive and going on too long, especially "Black Swift", easily my least favorite from these guys. Ført Bak Lyset fixed whatever flaws on their predecessor, and make it their best since their debut Underjordisk Tusmørke. Here they sing all in their native Norwegian. Marxo Solinas aka Lars Fredrik Frøislie brings his analog gears, even the occasional Chamberlin and Mellotron. There is less reminders of Jethro Tull this time around, but the flute is still present. I really got a kick off "Ekebergkongen" where the flute quotes Edvard Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King". I knew their music frequently got me thinking of Grieg, this time they actually quote Grieg. Helps that "Ekebergkong" translates something like "The King of Ekeberg" (Ekeberg is a neighborhood in Oslo, so obviously these guys aren't taking themselves too seriously). The music still has that wonderful mystic fairytale vibe with a Nordic feel to it. I still have trouble understanding the Canterbury and Krautrock acts these guys were frequently compared to, to me they're basically a psychedelic band that incorporates folk and prog elements, but comparing them to Can or Amon Duul II, that I don't understand. Maybe a bit of Caravan had they been Nordic (the vocals sound a tad like a Scandinavian Richard Sinclair). Jethro Tull and Black Widow I understand more clearly.

I also really get a kick off the cover, a toad eating pills, probably uppers or downers. Another example of the band not taking themselves always serious.

I am so glad this music exists in 2016, and it's probably destined to me one of my favorites this year. This is something I can highly recommend.

Progfan97402 | 4/5 |