Tony Levin - Resonator CD (album) cover

Tony Levin

4 stars So, Tony Levin decides to do a vocal solo album and, surprise, the vocalist is Tony. I have to say there's something a little disturbing about his vocals. I guess maybe I was expecting a deeper voice. Well, at least he doesn't sing falsetto or something, that would really be freaky. Tony is a competent vocalist, though stylistically, when it comes to bassist/vocalists, John Wetton doesn't have to worry about the competition, if you know what I mean.

One of the highlights is Throw the God a Bone. Not really prog, just a fun song. Utopia is a track from an earlier album with vocals added. Shadowland is a nice prog instrumental. Crisis of Faith sounds a little Queen like. Sabre Dance, a cover of a classical piece by Kachaturian, is another favorite.

A somewhat uneven album but after the fairly consistent and mellow Waters of Eden, the more experimental Pieces of the Sun, Tony is stretching out even further with Resonator. I'll give it four on the round up.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |