RESONATOR

Buy TONY LEVIN Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Break it down (7:02)
2. Places to go (5:46)
3. Throw the God a bone (5:23)
4. Utopia (6:20)
5. Beyond my reach (5:16)
6. Shadowland (4:57)
7. Crisis of Faith (2:10)
8. What would Jimi do? (4:32)
9. Sabre Dance (5:05)
10. Fragile as a song (4:31)

Search TONY LEVIN Resonator lyrics

Search TONY LEVIN Resonator tabs

- Tony Levin / bass, Chapman stick, keyboards (10)
- Pete Levin / keyboards
- Jerry Marotta / drums
- Jesse Gress / guitars
- Larry Fast / keyboards

Guest musicians:
- Adrian Belew / guitar (3)
- Steve Lukather / guitar (4)

CD Narada Records (2006)

Thanks to bern for the addition

TONY LEVIN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TONY LEVIN Resonator Music

ResonatorResonator
Narada 2006

More places to buy TONY LEVIN music online Buy TONY LEVIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TONY LEVIN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TONY LEVIN Resonator ratings distribution

TONY LEVIN Resonator reviews

Review by Peter
4 stars Tony Levin is easily one of the very best, most recognizable and sought-after bassists working today, and perhaps my overall favourite in the world of progressive rock. His recording and stage resume includes stellar work for Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe, Steve Hackett, David Bowie, Laurie Anderson, Paul Simon and a host of others much too long to list here. Whether masterfully wielding his Chapman Stick, standing tall behind the upright, or using the percussive "funk fingers" extensions (which he invented) on a regular electric, Levin always stands out in the mix, providing a rock-solid foundation, while yet bringing his distinctive floor-shaking sounds to the fore.

In addition to his extensive work with other respected musicians, Tony Levin has also released a few solo albums over the years. 2006's RESONATOR is the first I have heard, and it provides a very strong inducement for me to check out more of his albums. Yes, RESONATOR is a fine disc: by turns 80s Crimson-like "pop prog," jazz fusion, and pure prog, this diverse, ever-engaging effort will certainly not disappoint his numerous fans. This is also the first of Levin's recordings where he takes on the lead vocal duties, and I'm pleased to report that though he may not win any "best singer" polls, "Uncle Tony" has a very likeable and workmanlike singing voice: he does a fine job, and sounds like the nice, charismatic guy he always comes across as on stage, in interviews and in print.

Each of the ten tracks is worthwhile, but my especial favourites include "Places to Go," which takes us from Mars, to Levin's Boston hometown, to heaven via some humourous yet deep lyrics. "Throw the God a Bone" is a frantic rave-up that features Crimson band mate Adrian Belew, and Tony's dog Lilly. 100% fun! "Utopia" is thoughtful, majestic and moving in its yearning, and the instrumental "Shadowland" is five minutes of sometimes soaring, sometimes menacing pure prog bliss. "Crisis of Faith," in Levin's own words, is "the wild piece of the album," and downright scary with its wall-razing bass, twelve "somewhat atonal' voices, and some powerful drumming from Jerry Marotta. "What Would Jimi Do" features a fittingly wicked guitar solo from Jesse Gress (Todd Rundgren) and some terrific Hammond from brother Pete Levin. "Sabre Dance" is Levin's rocking, almost metallic take on the old Khachaturian classic, while "Fragile As a Song" is a tender piano, bass and voice ballad about connections, which brings the album to a beautiful close.

RESONATOR is a great CD, and heartily recommended to all Levin fans -- and I would assume that means all of us! Four enthusiastic stars!

Send comments to Peter (BETA) | Report this review (#84169) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars So, Tony Levin decides to do a vocal solo album and, surprise, the vocalist is Tony. I have to say there's something a little disturbing about his vocals. I guess maybe I was expecting a deeper voice. Well, at least he doesn't sing falsetto or something, that would really be freaky. Tony is a competent vocalist, though stylistically, when it comes to bassist/vocalists, John Wetton doesn't have to worry about the competition, if you know what I mean.

One of the highlights is Throw the God a Bone. Not really prog, just a fun song. Utopia is a track from an earlier album with vocals added. Shadowland is a nice prog instrumental. Crisis of Faith sounds a little Queen like. Sabre Dance, a cover of a classical piece by Kachaturian, is another favorite.

A somewhat uneven album but after the fairly consistent and mellow Waters of Eden, the more experimental Pieces of the Sun, Tony is stretching out even further with Resonator. I'll give it four on the round up.

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#157710) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 05, 2008

4 stars Tony Levin pushed this solo album further.. this time he even sings! The vocals are good, but they still sound a bit strange to me. The music is pretty much in the vein of the past two albums. "Break It Down": a classic Crimson-type song - 8/10 "Places To Go": a jazzy song with Tony's bass in ... (read more)

Report this review (#83319) | Posted by zaxx | Monday, July 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The newest album by Tony Levin and his friends can't be put into a specific genre. The whole album is so very different from the start to the end that I sometimes ask myself if this is the same album when I'm halfway through it. However, this doesn't feel awkward at all for it is fluid and well p ... (read more)

Report this review (#80139) | Posted by Bern | Friday, June 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TONY LEVIN "Resonator"