Citizen Cain - Serpents In Camouflage CD (album) cover

Citizen Cain

3 stars The debut from Citizen Cain is a good album in many respects, but there are also things I donīt like about it. Letīs start with the good stuff:

Citizen Cain plays what I would call neo prog. The structures of the songs are pretty complex though. There are many different parts in every song. This basically sounds like Fish era Marillion, but in a good way. I really like the music very much. Especially the keyboards which could have been played by Mark Kelly from Marillion. I think they are that close to the original. This is of course ripp off, but in my opinion a nice ripp off. So my conclusion is that the music is great and Iīm sure most Fish era Marillion fans would feel the same way.

What I donīt like much is the vocals which sounds nothing like Fish. I think the vocal melodies are weak and I have a hard time remembering any of them when the album is finished. The vocalist Cyrus has a voice that reminds me of a soar throated Peter Gabriel. But itīs not his voice but more the lack of melody thatīs my problem.

The music is worth 4 stars in my book but I would only give the vocals 2 stars so this will be a 3 star album. I think Marillion fans should check this out though ( and Genesis fans too), as you might not have the same problems with the vocals as I do.

UMUR | 3/5 |