Genesis - Calling All Stations CD (album) cover

CALLING ALL STATIONS

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars I donīt think this album deserves all the scolding people gives it. Iīm pretty satisfied with this album and I have enjoyed it from day one. I think this is the best album Genesis have made since ...and Then There Were Three. Sure it is pop and you will have to get used to Ray Wilson as the new vocalist, but I still think there is some brain behind the compositions. One of the things I notice when listening to this album is the keyboard sounds and the vocal melodies. They are very different from what was on the eighties Genesis albums. The mood is more melancholic and Ray Wilsonīs voice mathes this mood perfectly.

Songs like Calling all Stations and Congo are high class pop in my ears and absolutely worth their place in Genesis discography. I even think a song like Shipwrecked with itīs cheesy lyrics is a really good song. The production is really grand and it makes the songs sound very rich and warm. As mentioned before I think Ray Wilson is a great vocalist, and I really think it is unfortunate that this lineup didnīt last a bit longer. Note that Nick D'Virgilio from Spockīs Beard plays drums on some of the songs. Just a funny little info.

So what does this album deserve ? Well itīs not on par with the best Genesis have made of course but I think it is better than most of their eighties output. I simply like the melancholic mood much better than the eighties Genesis more lighter sound. Iīll give the album 3 stars as I think it is a good prog pop album.

UMUR | 3/5 |