Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless CD (album) cover

SUFFICIENTLY BREATHLESS

Captain Beyond

UMUR
3 stars Captain Beyond´s second album Sufficiently Breathless is a bit of a disappointment to me. I really liked their selftitled debut album. I think that one is a brilliant album and quite original IMO. Sufficiently Breathless is not as exciting. Not to me at least. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the songs or the production though and it´s not a bad album by any means. It´s just not as good or original as the debut.

The music is rock with just hints of prog rock. There isn´t much hard rock left in Captain Beyond´s sound and maybe that´s what I miss so much. Those sharp and mean hard rock riffs from the debut just saved my day. The riffs are still present in some of the songs, but they are not as dominant in the production as on the debut.

I have to praise the production though as it is really great and clear sounding. From the booklet in my CD it says that Captain Beyond produced this themselves. It´s quite an achivement and a clear sign that these musicians are very experienced.

Rod Evans ( Ex-Deep Purple) voice is as good as ever and the rest of the musicians are also very competent gentemen. If you want proof of this just listen to Drifting in Space which is my favorite song here and the one which reminds me most of the debut. There are some great playing in that song. The song Sufficiently Breathless is also very nice especially because of the nice harmonies in the vocals which shows the diversity of Captain Beyond. They can both play hard rock and more spacious prog inspired songs. A good example of this is Starglow Energy which is one of their more spacy mellow songs.

This is a good album, even though I don´t find it as exciting as the debut but it is still worth 3 big stars. Recommended mostly to people into softer hard rock. Wishbone Ash fans ( I´m one myself) could get something out of this.

UMUR | 3/5 |