Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

Marillion

UMUR
5 stars I discovered Marillion by accident in the mid-nineties, and I wasnīt convinced the first time I heard them. I remember that it was Fugazi I heard first. I lend it on the public library in my home town and dismissed it after a couple of listens because I found it too eighties art rock like for my ears and I didnīt have no love for Fish voice. I had been listening to Genesis for quite some time and even though I could hear some similarities I found Marillion way too strange for my taste. The thin eighties production didnīt help on my impression. Well things change donīt they ? I quickly adapted to Marillion and especially Fish weird soprano which was something I hated the first time I listened to him. Today Fish is one of my favorite singers and I love his style. He is outstanding and very original even though there are traces of Peter Gabriel in his singing.

But Marillion is more than Fish of course and the other musicians are also outstanding in their own way. Itīs not because the technical level is very high though. Almost anyone could play these things with ease. Itīs more the way the songs are composed and the way the notes are played. Both Rothery and Kelly are excellent musicians. I really enjoy Rotheryīs guitar solos which are really pleasent and melodic while Kelly makes the most beautiful simple soundscapes with his keyboards. Mick Pointer ( Arena) on drums and Pete Trewavas makes for a great rythm section even though Pointer isnīt the best drummer in the world. Pointer would leave Marillion after Script for a Jesterīs Tear.

Marillionīs debut album Script for a Jesterīs Tear is a classic prog rock album in my ears. One of the best ever made. Now you can classify this a neo prog or anything else for my sake, to me this is just prog rock.

The songs are melancholic and emotional journeys. Fish lyrics are a very big part of the early Marillion, and exceptionally well written IMO. Lyrics normally donīt mean that much to me, but in Marillionīs case itīs quite the opposite. You could say the lyrics are pretentious, but I think they are very heartfelt and they move me every time. Especially with Fish tortured delivery. But Fish also has humour which is best displayed in the song Garden Party. Those lyrics just crack me up every time, they are so intelligently written. Script for a Jesterīs Tear is about broken love and Chelsea Monday is a song about loneliness. All songs are very well written. The music is extremely melodic and very keyboard dominated and symphonic, but when there are solos itīs always from the guitar. There are very few keyboard solos in Marillionīs music.

The sound quality is not really good, but itīs allright. Itīs kind of a mixed bag. Marillion donīt deny their seventies influences but as it was the eighties especially the drums and the keyboards had a very eighties like sound to them.

Script for a Jesterīs Tear is one of my all time favorite albums and one of the few prog rock albums I think fully deserves 5 stars. Donīt ever underestimate Marillion because the technical level in their compositions are not that high. Marillionīs music is about so many other and more important things than showing of their technical skills. Beautiful just beautiful emotions.

MASTERPIECE