Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

Marillion

UMUR
5 stars The third album from Marillion Misplaced Childhood is a prog rock classic. Itīs one of the few prog rock albums that sold enough copies to be called commercial. Allthough I prefer the two first albums by Marillion, I really love this one too regardless of itīs mainstream appeal.

The sound quality on Misplaced Childhood is what sets this album apart from the two first albums the most. The sound is rich and warm. A really pleasant experience, but it also means that it is almost too nice. Itīs not a problem for me though as I like the differences in sound between Marillionīs early albums.

Misplaced Childhood is a concept album. The songs seque into each other and the lyrics are a story. I never really dug into the story much though but rather enjoyed the individual songs which is just as good. The lyrics are as usual extremely well written and very clever. Once again Fish has outdone himself in emotional and melancholic writing. Fish lyrics are outstanding IMO.

The music has naturally developed from Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood has a more mature sound. The songs are all brilliant examples of top notch prog rock. Itīs very melodic and pretty diverse IMO. The overall sound is very symphonic with eighties sounding keyboards and nice melodic guitar playing. I donīt care much for the two ending songs though. I think both Childhood End? and White Feather are below Marillionīs usual standard and therefore my rating is almost affected by this. Overall this is a masterpiece though and a couple of weak songs are not gonna spoil my pleasure or my rating. This is still one of my favorite prog rock albums.

Misplaced Childhood even had a commercial hit in the song Kayleigh and even though it is a bit more maintream sounding than what we were used to from Marillion at this point, itīs still a great song in my ears. Again the lyrics are beautifully written and performed by Fish. Other standout tracks are Lavender, Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) and Blind Curve, but really you should listen to this album from beginning to end as all songs are equally good ( except for the last two).

Despite a couple of weak songs at the end of the album this is a prog rock classic and a sure 5 star masterpiece in my book. Fish Era Marillion moves me like few bands can and Misplaced Childhood is a great example of this.

UMUR | 5/5 |