Marillion - B'Sides Themselves CD (album) cover

B'SIDES THEMSELVES

Marillion

UMUR
4 stars If you like Fish era Marillion and cry yourself to sleep every night because they only made 4 studio albums in this incarnation, do purchase BīSides Themselves as these B-sides and singles are an excellent addition to your collection. In fact I would like to say that I couldnīt live without it.

Normal B-side collections are filled with take-out tracks and obscurities the record company didnīt want on the original albums, but the songs on BīSides Themselves are of very high quality. These might not be Marillionīs best songs, but they come close behind.

Of course the main attraction on BīSides Themselves is the epic track GRENDEL. Itīs a 17+ minute song which is really great. There are of course many sections in the song and it reminds me of some of Genesis work, more than later Marillion songs do anyway. Fish has written some great lyrics over this classic tale.

Charting the Single is not the best song here, but it is worthy of inclusion.

Market Square Heroes is a classic Marillion song that they have played a million times live. Itīs always a crowd pleaser. Nice keyboard work from Mark Kelly on this one. Itīs not my favorite but itīs very powerful and full of energy.

Three boats down from the candy is on the other hand one of my favorites here. Very Genesis like with the very subtle vers and the more powerful chorus. The lyrics are really nice too.

Cinderella search is another great song from Marillion.

Lady Nina is a song I always enjoy. Fish lyrics are really good in this song. They are about the difficulty of having a normal family life and living a secret night life on the side. Faschinating.

Freaks is another classic Marillion song that they played live millions of times. Itīs such a great song when it is performed live. This studio version is also very good.

Tux on is an ok song, but nothing special really. Fish lyrics are as always well written of course.

Margaret is the weakest song here. Itīs really repetitive and boring in my ears and not really worth the inclusion on BīSides Themselves.

The sound quality ranges from really good on Market Square Heroes, Three Boats Down from the Candy, Lady Nina and Freaks to a bit more thin sounding quality on Grendel, Charting the Single and Margaret.

All in all this is a very worthy purchase and a nice substitution for a real album from Fish era Marillion. I highly recommend this both to fans and people curious about this period in Marillionīs career. 4 stars is not too much for this album.

UMUR | 4/5 |