Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

3 stars Led Zep's ballsy bluesy (and some other b words) debut.

The album is full of energy and introduces a quartet that simply took the world by the short and curlies and gave it a damn good yank. Most of the album is covers, as has already been expertly and fastidiously researched and highlighted by the cognoscenti. Some of it, a spare remainder, may have come from the band itself.

Well who cares? I reckon if they'd covered God Save the Queen it would have been brilliant such was the energy and aplomb with which they performed.

Is it prog? No, not even an whiff of it. Is it great? oh yes, and all the greater with hindsight because we all know what followed. If they had gone their separate ways after this album i don't think much notice would be taken now. But the sheer force of the band shown in this album made it clear at the time that this was a band destined for greater things, and for once we got what we anticipated.

obiter | 3/5 |