Strawbs - Dragonfly CD (album) cover

Strawbs

Prog Folk

LinusW
Italian Prog Specialist
2 stars Acoustic and more acoustic, in a mellow, very folkish way. Not very exciting, since the album just stands still, revolving around essentially the same structure time after time. The addition of cello is really nice, but can't save the day here. Feels simple, yet touches of delicacy shows up just often enough to keep you interested before it vanishes like a whiff of air. Very frustrating to say the least.

Of the 'standard' songs on this album only two manage to get repeated plays: Another Day - makes me happy with it's kindness and air of hope. The second one is I Turn My Face Into The Wind, which funny enough is quite the opposite of Another Day, with lyrics such as

''I huddled close against a tumbling wall Wrapped in a cloak to shield me from the bitter cold The solitude weighed heavy on my mind As I turned my face into the rain.''

Closing the album is the fantastic The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake, with one of the greatest build-ups I've experienced in music. Gradually moving from the albums standard acoustic galore, more and more eeriness creeps in behind the guitars until the drums kick in and the song takes a more sinister approach. Electric guitar in the back. 11 rewarding minutes.

2 stars for this, since only eleven out of thirty-six minutes are truly great.

LinusW | 2/5 |