Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon CD (album) cover

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

3 stars Watching rain run down a window

Sitting in a chair near a window, quietly staring through the window during a heavy rain. Letting your focus blur to just the streaked grey in the sky. Listen to the sound on the roof as the beads well and roll down the glass. That is the image my mind conjures as I listen to Thursday Afternoon and I can't help but wonder if Eno appreciates when his fans mention a meditative effect, or if he bristles at that. Surely many will say these ambient albums are meant for active listening and I can appreciate them in that way, but my mind fades to peaceful blankness with this music if I allow it and the temptation is often to give in. Eno describes his style of composition here as "holographic" meaning that any small section of the piece is representative of the work as a whole. The album is 61 minutes of his quiet and contemplative playing pushing the envelope of what the sound painting can accomplish. Eno is a great artist but this album leaves me cold for the most part at least in comparison to his Apollo album or the Discreet album. For fans of Eno the album is one they will own eventually but I'd recommend that noobs start their exploration with earlier albums. Not bad but far from his creative peak.

Finnforest | 3/5 |