The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North CD (album) cover

ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH, THE RIVER NORTH

The Dear Hunter

LinusW
Italian Prog Specialist
4 stars One of the great discoveries here on the Archives so far. This is a band/project that deserves every possible mention, and loads of credit for that matter. I've never come across such a splendid example of crossover prog. In this EP (or album, which I prefer in this case) we're served an excellent mixture of modern indie/emo/alternative-rock and excellent emotional progressiveness and atmosphere than one has the right to expect from a release such as this.

Being mostly negative from the start ('bah, this isn't my type of music!'), I couldn't help falling in love with it. And even though I find it slightly unpolished, mostly due to some underdeveloped ideas, I'm sure we're in for some fantastic music in a near future.

Starting with the enchanting vocal harmonies of Battesimo del Fuoco where Casey Crescenzo gets his first chance to show both his talent and emotion when it comes to vocals, and the instrumental The Lake South, filled with varied instrumentation and expectations of greatness that holds promise of a great musical ride, you know that this is something extraordinary.

The sonic onslaught that follows is enough to leave me breathless. Melody, power and atmosphere from...ALL instruments makes it hard to pick a favourite from the bunch. Trademarks are soft, melodic interplay between guitar and keys with often fairly complex drums and a somewhat suppressed bass taking care of the rhythm. There are outbursts of forceful guitar and vocals as well, dotted with brass, to make the mix even more interesting.

Mandatory listen if you want to try out some modern prog, this is a shining star and a very promising start of a hopefully great discography!

//Linus W