ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH, THE RIVER NORTH

The Dear Hunter

The Dear Hunter Act I: The Lake South, The River North album cover

Buy THE DEAR HUNTER Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Battesimo Del Fuoco (1:56)
2. The Lake South (1:43)
3. City Escape (5:56)
4. The Inquiry of Ms. Terri (5:56)
5. 1878 (7:02)
6. The Pimp and The Priest (6:00)
7. His Hands Matched His Tongue (6:00)
8. The River North (4:03)

Search THE DEAR HUNTER Act I: The Lake South, The River North lyrics

Search THE DEAR HUNTER Act I: The Lake South, The River North tabs

- Casey Crescenzo/ vocals & all instruments, except
- Nick Crescenzo / drums
- Judy Crescenzo / backing vocals (3 & 4)
- Phil Crescenzo / organ (5)
- Tom Neeson / trumpet
- Dan Nigro / additional vocals (5)

Thanks to darqdean for the addition
and to Conor Fynes for the last updates

THE DEAR HUNTER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DEAR HUNTER Act I: The Lake South, The River North Music

MigrantMigrant
Equal Vision Records 2013
Act I: The Lake South the River NorthAct I: The Lake South the River North
Triple Crown 2006
The Color Spectrum: The Complete CollectionThe Color Spectrum: The Complete Collection
Box set
Triple Crown 2011
Migrant RepriseMigrant Reprise
Sound Pollution 2014
A MICHAEL CIMINO'S"THE DEAR HUNTER"ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK JAPAN RARE CD with PS US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE DEAR HUNTER-RBERT DE NIRO-SOUNDTRACK-10 TRACK CD -1989 -FREE FASTPOST US $8.77 Buy It Now 21h 27m
The Color Spectrum Live by The Dear Hunter (DVD, Mar-2013, Triple Crown... US $11.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Dear Hunter, Migrant Audio CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Dear Hunter - Color Spectrum: The Complete Collect [CD New] US $25.58 Buy It Now 2 days
The Dear Hunter - Migrant Reprise (NEW CD) US $20.69 Buy It Now 2 days
DEAR HUNTER - COLOR SPECTRUM: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (+DVD) NEW CD US $41.82 Buy It Now 2 days
The Color Spectrum [The Complete Collection] [Box] by The Dear Hunter (CD,... US $22.63 Buy It Now 2 days
The Dear Hunter The Color Spectrum Vinyl Box Set RARE LP Record US $142.50 [5 bids]
THE DEAR HUNTER - MIGRANT [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $9.73 Buy It Now 4 days
The Dear Hunter ?- Act III Life And Death White Vinyl 2XLP (manchester orchestra US $69.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Color Spectrum - Dear Hunter US $11.64 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DEAR HUNTER - ACT III: LIFE AND DEATH [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 5 days
Amour & Attrition - Casey Crescenzo (The Dear Hunter) With Signed Score Book US $125.00 Buy It Now 6 days
DEAR HUNTER - ACT III: LIFE & DEATH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.78 Buy It Now 6 days
COLOR SPECTRUM BY DEAR HUNTER (CD) US $20.41 Buy It Now 7 days
Dear Hunter - Color Spectrum: The Complete Collection W/ DVD CD US $33.32 Buy It Now 7 days
Dear Hunter - Migrant Reprise CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 7 days
Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South The River North CD US $11.60 Buy It Now 7 days
Dear Hunter - Act III: Life & Death Dig CD US $16.92 Buy It Now 7 days
DEAR HUNTER THE - MIGRANT REPRISE - RDR091 US $17.58 Buy It Now 7 days
Migrant, Dear Hunter, New US $13.46 Buy It Now 7 days
Dear Hunter - Act Iii: Life & Death [CD New] US $13.06 Buy It Now 8 days
THE DEAR HUNTER - THE COLOR SPECTRUM - NEW CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 8 days
Color Spectrum:complete Collection - Dear Hunter US $25.59 Buy It Now 9 days
Dear Hunter - Migrant (2013) - New - Compact Disc US $10.43 Buy It Now 9 days
DEAR HUNTER - ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH THE RIVER NORTH NEW CD US $12.77 Buy It Now 9 days
DEAR HUNTER - MIGRANT REPRISE NEW CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Dear Hunter - Migrant [CD New] US $12.14 Buy It Now 9 days
THE DEAR HUNTER THE COLOR SPECTRUM WHITE VINYL LP SEALED NEW US $79.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Act Iii:life And Death - Dear Hunter US $11.64 Buy It Now 11 days
Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading, The Dear Hunter, G US $8.69 Buy It Now 11 days
Dear Hunter - Act Ii The Meaning Of And All (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.95 Buy It Now 11 days
DEAR HUNTER - ACT II: MEANING OF & ALL THINGS REGARDING MS LEADI NEW CD US $20.01 Buy It Now 11 days
Dear Hunter Spectrum Live DVD US $19.02 Buy It Now 12 days
The Dear Hunter - ACT III Vinyl LP 2x 2xLP OOP /300 180g Black 3 II 2 US $29.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DEAR HUNTER-ACT III: LIFE & DEATH VINYL LP NEW US $18.87 Buy It Now 13 days
Dear Hunter - Act Iii: Life & Death [Vinyl New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 13 days
Dear Hunter - Act Ii: The Meaning Of & All Things Regarding Ms [Vinyl New] US $24.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South The River North [Vinyl New] US $21.21 Buy It Now 13 days
DEAR HUNTER - ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH THE RIVER NORTH NEW VINYL US $25.56 Buy It Now 13 days
DEAR HUNTER - ACT II: THE MEANING OF & ALL THINGS REGARDING MS NEW VINYL US $31.10 Buy It Now 13 days
The Dear Hunter Act III: Life and Death LP 180g Vinyl US $35.00 Buy It Now 14 days
The Dear Hunter Act I: The Lake South, the River North 180g Vinyl SEALED US $39.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Migrant [Digipak] * by The Dear Hunter (CD, Apr-2013, Equal Vision) US $9.21 Buy It Now 14 days
The Dear Hunter ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH, THE RIVER NORTH Debut Album NEW VINYL LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Act III: Life and Death by The Dear Hunter (Vinyl, Dec-2009, 2 Discs, Triple... US $22.02 Buy It Now 15 days
Act I: The Lake South, The River North by The Dear Hunter (CD, Sep-2006,... US $5.08 Buy It Now 16 days
Act I: the Lake South the River North - Dear Hunter New & Sealed CD Free Shippin US $23.41 Buy It Now 16 days
Act Ii: the Meaning of & All Things Regarding Ms - Dear Hunter New & Sealed CD F US $27.70 Buy It Now 16 days
Act II: Meaning of & All Things Regarding Ms Leadi, Dear Hunter, New US $13.68 Buy It Now 16 days
DEAR HUNTER:Leaves:The:T-shirt NEW:LARGE ONLY US $27.97 Buy It Now 18 days
DEAR HUNTER:Swine:The:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $27.97 Buy It Now 18 days
THE DEAR HUNTER PRESENTS: THE COLOR SPECTRUM LIVE - NEW DVD US $11.22 Buy It Now 20 days
The Dear Hunter ACT III: LIFE AND DEATH Gatefold TRIPLE CROWN New Vinyl 2 LP US $20.99 Buy It Now 21 days
THE DEAR HUNTER - THE COLOR SPECTRUM [THE COMPLETE COLLECTION] - NEW CD BOXSET US $29.92 Buy It Now 21 days
DEAR HUNTER - MIGRANT NEW CD US $19.25 Buy It Now 21 days
DEAR HUNTER - COLOR SPECTRUM LIVE NEW DVD US $23.07 Buy It Now 22 days
Casey Crescenzo ?- Amour & Attrition Vinyl TEST PRESSING 55/100 (the dear hunter US $119.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Migrant [Digipak] * by The Dear Hunter (CD, Apr-2013, Equal Vision) US $7.58 Buy It Now 24 days
The Color Spectrum by Dear Hunter (The) (CD, Jun-2011, Triple Crown Records) US $12.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Act 2 II: Meaning of and & All Things Regarding Ms. Leading by the Dear Hunter US $7.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Migrant - Dear Hunter US $10.84 Buy It Now 24 days
Act II: The Meaning of, and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading by The Dear Hunter US $5.99 Buy It Now 24 days
Migrant Reprise - Dear Hunter New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $24.22 Buy It Now 25 days
Dear Hunter - Color Spectrum [CD New] US $13.03 Buy It Now 25 days
the dear hunter limited edition cd US $42.49 Buy It Now 25 days
Dear Hunter - Act I: Lake South The River North [CD New] US $8.00 Buy It Now 25 days
THE DEAR HUNTER - ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH, THE RIVER NORTH - NEW CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 25 days
Dear Hunter - Act Ii: Meaning Of & All Things R [CD New] US $12.63 Buy It Now 25 days
DEAR HUNTER - COLOR SPECTRUM NEW CD US $20.78 Buy It Now 26 days
Dear Hunter - Act Ii: Meaning Of & All Things R CD US $16.29 Buy It Now 26 days
Dear Hunter - Color Spectrum CD US $16.92 Buy It Now 26 days
Dear Hunter - Migrant CD US $16.00 Buy It Now 26 days
THE DEAR HUNTER - ACT II: THE MEANING OF, AND ALL THINGS REGARDING MS. - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 28 days
SUPER RARE The Dear Hunter Act 3 180g Vinyl Record x/300 III color migrant US $34.99 Buy It Now 28 days
The Dear Hunter ACT II: THE MEANING OF & ALL THINGS... Gatefold NEW VINYL 2 LP US $21.99 Buy It Now 29 days
The Dear Hunter - Act I The Lake South The River (2006) - Used - Compact Di US $2.75 Buy It Now 29 days
Dear Hunter, The - Migrant Reprise NEW CD Digi US $17.06 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy THE DEAR HUNTER music online Buy THE DEAR HUNTER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DEAR HUNTER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DEAR HUNTER Act I: The Lake South, The River North ratings distribution

THE DEAR HUNTER Act I: The Lake South, The River North reviews

Review by chopper
4 stars This is the first part of a supposed 6-CD concept, mainly the work of one man - Casey Crescenzo - who sings and plays most of the instruments here. Given that fact, this is a quite startling achievement featuring a dazzling array of styles. It's hard to believe that music of this quality is practically unknown.

The opening track is a capella, with harmonies that The Beach Boys would have been proud of. "The Lake South" is a short jazzy instrumental which takes us into "City Escape", which is where the Mars Volta comparisons begin, sounding similar to something from "Deloused in the Comatorium", but this band are no TMV rip-offs. Crescenzo begins to show his vocal talents here - he can hit the high notes and put the emotion into the lyrics. The drums, from Nick Crescenzo, are also excellent."1878" is the first real classic here. A complex and unusual drum pattern underpins a great melody, before it bursts into the chorus which is one of the those that immediately gets into your brain and makes you go "wow!". "The Pimp and the Priest" takes us into New Orleans jazz territory, sounding akin to something from Muscle of Love-era Alice Cooper, before "His Hands Matched His Tongue" hits us as the best track on the CD. This is a concept closer to match the "Listening to you" ending of Tommy or "Wind at my Back" from Snow. Starting off with gentle acoustic guitar, the vocal harmonies bring up the goose pimples before the dramatic and beautiful ending. Stunning stuff.

This CD is listed as an EP here - it clocks in at just under 40 minutes but the maxim of "quality not quantity" certainly applies here. Featuring two absolute corkers, this is superior to most band's 78 minute efforts. Along with Tinyfish, this band are the best "unknown" band I've come across. My only gripe is that the lyrics are very hard to read on the CD cover, so I'm not really sure what the concept is all about aside from "the story of a boy from his creation to his untimely end". Apart from that, I can only hope and pray that they deliver the rest of this concept as promised. Highly recommended!

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#152793) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007

Review by Moatilliatta
5 stars Casey, the mastermind of this project, left the indie/experimental/post-hardcore outfit The Receiving End of Sirens, who I hold in high regards as one of those bands that plays a style of music that I generally despise in such a way that it is actually good music (proof that all music has the capability of being high quality, some genres are just unfortunate to house few if any bands who want to do anything with that sound). I heard a few clips and I knew I was going to love this group. After hearing this album, my anticipation proved accurate and then some. What we have here is a similar melodic yet edgy approach to the vocals as The Receiving End of Sirens with more layers, harmonies and background work. Then the music is like a symphonic, dramatic rock opera that works in rhythms and ethereal soundscapes characteristic of bands like The Mars Volta and Circa Survive. It is a fantastic blend of styles. It's creative, intelligent and yet very accessible. The Dear Hunter is now a leading force in modern progressive music, and as soon as you have the chance, you should check them out.

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#153943) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 03, 2007

Review by LinusW
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Italian Prog Specialist
4 stars One of the great discoveries here on the Archives so far. This is a band/project that deserves every possible mention, and loads of credit for that matter. I've never come across such a splendid example of crossover prog. In this EP (or album, which I prefer in this case) we're served an excellent mixture of modern indie/emo/alternative-rock and excellent emotional progressiveness and atmosphere than one has the right to expect from a release such as this.

Being mostly negative from the start ('bah, this isn't my type of music!'), I couldn't help falling in love with it. And even though I find it slightly unpolished, mostly due to some underdeveloped ideas, I'm sure we're in for some fantastic music in a near future.

Starting with the enchanting vocal harmonies of Battesimo del Fuoco where Casey Crescenzo gets his first chance to show both his talent and emotion when it comes to vocals, and the instrumental The Lake South, filled with varied instrumentation and expectations of greatness that holds promise of a great musical ride, you know that this is something extraordinary.

The sonic onslaught that follows is enough to leave me breathless. Melody, power and atmosphere from...ALL instruments makes it hard to pick a favourite from the bunch. Trademarks are soft, melodic interplay between guitar and keys with often fairly complex drums and a somewhat suppressed bass taking care of the rhythm. There are outbursts of forceful guitar and vocals as well, dotted with brass, to make the mix even more interesting.

Mandatory listen if you want to try out some modern prog, this is a shining star and a very promising start of a hopefully great discography!

//Linus W

Send comments to LinusW (BETA) | Report this review (#163399) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by UMUR
4 stars I know this is only considered an EP but donīt be fooled by that tack as Act I: The Lake South, The River North by The Dear Hunter is 38:36 minutes long which in my eyes qualify as album length. A short album yes, but album length it is. Act I: The Lake South, The River North is the debut release from The Dear Hunter and itīs a very good EP release that is worth checking out indeed. The Dear Hunter is really a one man band that consists of Casey Crescenzo. Casey sings and plays all instruments except the drums who are played by Nick Crescenzo. Judy and Phil Crescenzo also guests here with backing vocals and organ respectively. Tom Neeson plays trumpet and there are also a guy named Dan Nigro who sings some additional vocals.

The music is modern symphonic prog rock IMO, but there are also other influences present on the EP. The music evolves around Casey Crescenzoīs melody lines and the mood is generally pretty dark. The music is very dynamic and has both quit beautiful moments and more powerful moments too. Casey Crescenzo is a very diverse and skilled singer and he masters lots of different moods and styles. I generally like his vocals very much but sometimes they get a bit to emo for my ears and I canīt help being reminded of bands like My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco which IMO isnīt the best bands to be compared to. Donīt get scared by this remark though as the vocals are generally very beautiful. There are some great rythms here to acompagny the music and I am intrigued time and again by something that happens in the songs. The structure is not radio friendly pop structures.

The musicianship on the album is a real treat and I believe Casey will be one of the new stars in modern prog without a doubt.

The production is very good and it has a special emphazis on the vocals that I really enjoy.

Itīs not often I pick up something I had never heard of before and get this impressed and I will rate this EP 4 stars because I really think itīs excellent prog rock. This is highly recommendable to people who would like to hear some new prog rock that doesnīt sound like itīs made in the seventies.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#168745) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 26, 2008

Review by Gatot
5 stars An impressive EP by a punk-rocker turned progger .!

What would your first reaction when you are told a band name that you never heard before by your prog friend? Obviously, you might ask "how the music sound like? Is it something like legendary prog bands, or modern prog like in the vein of progressive metal?". If none of that category pops up, you might start wondering: how would this new band would then be classified? That's exactly what happened to me because I was not informed at all on which vein the new band is coming from. I was only told that previously it's a punk band. What???? It struck me as I was there when punk and new wave killed prog rock at the end of 70s or beginning of 80s. And now I am hearing a new prog band which was originally a punk band? Give me a break!

So I started searching the net to order the CD and I found two albums whereby the first album was priced relatively cheap at amazon. Once the CD arrived home, I opened the jewel case and read the details about the album and found out that it's a bout a story of aboy from his creation to his untimely end, the beautifully rapturous, to the truly tragic. Oh .. what a compelling statement! So I spun the CD with a very high curiosity to know the kind of music this epic by The Dear Hunter is all about. Oh my God .. it blew me away at first spin with 100% acceptance level, indicating that this kind of music matches my blood category! Yeaaaahh ..!!!

The more I spin the CD it grows on me and, in fact, when I met my prog friends on an event we call it as ProgRing (progressive gathering) conducted yesterday, I played the CD of this album to the 15 people crowd of my prog friends. It impressed them at first spin as I experienced the first time. I then did some research on the net with the help of Dr. Google. I found out that the mastermind of this band, Casey Crescenzo, was previously a major contributing member of a punk band called as The Receiving End of Sirens (TREOS) whom during the recording of the album started to put some ideas for side project he called as THE DEAR HUNTER (what a name!). What previously regarded as side project was then became a primary focus for Casey.

Let's have a look the album in details .

"Battesimo Del Fuoco" (1:56) (as I learned, this is basically Italian "baptized by fire") opens the album brilliantly with a powerful aca pella led by Casey's voice in heavy and low register notes backed by beautiful choir. Practically, there is no other instrument being used and it creates great nuance for an intro of a great epic. "The Lake South" (1:43) resembles a music for an opera or a circus that depicts the opening of an act. The composition is basically using string plus brass section, while piano provides some magical notes bringing the music into great nuance.

"City Escape" (5:56) continues the music seamlessly with a blast of very energetic music in the vein of The Mars Volta combined with A.C.T kind of music. This track really makes my pulse running faster than the usual rate. It's so powerful and so dynamic. It flows brilliantly with many changing tempos and styles like accompanying certain act of the drama. At approximately minute 2:26 the music is turning down in spacey mood followed by blast of music with great vocal by Casey. What's so powerful is when the music enters approx minute 3:11 when it has different kind of style using percussion (tabla) with eastern style music augmented nicely by piano work. Oh my God .. this part is truly great! The entire track of "City Escape" is a masterpiece and it represents a true prog music of modern times!!!

"The Inquiry of Ms. Terri" (5:56) brings the music into a slower tempo with ambient style augmented brilliantly by bass guitar lines and wonderful vocal which in a way reminds me to the like of Radiohead. Oh yeah, the dragging vocal reminds me to Radiohead. But it finishes at minute 1:50 when the music blast off abrasively with aggressive vocal of Casey in the vein of The Mars Volta. Oh the vocal quality of Casey is top notch! "1878" (7:02) cools the music down through a steady acoustic guitar work at the intro part, even though as the music flows there are parts with toned up music. "The Pimp and The Priest" (6:00) uses trumpet like in jazz music but I consider this track is like the music in circus show. It confirms that the music of The Dear Hunter is an operatic. The composition is truly excellent as the melody flows smoothly the percussion at background augmented by brass section have made the music so solid as well as dynamic.

If "His Hands Matched His Tongue" (6:00) is played alone without being positioned in the whole epic, this does not sound interesting for my interest as it's too mellow at the beginning part. However, I still admit the power of Casey vocal has made this song. The guitar parts may sound boring, but not the overall music, especially when it's combined as a whole epic. "The River North" (4:03) is an ending with a minimum instruments usage but piano / keyboard.

Conclusion

Even though on track by track basis I do not quite favor track 7, I look this album as the whole epic which I think that this is a masterpiece epic that I have ever heard. It's beautifully composed, combining energy, drive, melodic notes and instruments virtuosities for those involved with the album. The music of The Dear Hunter can be considered as Operatic Progressive Rock; a new category that should be created, I believe. For sure, this is a concept EP. Overall rating is 4.75 of 5. Keep on proggin' .!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#172786) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 01, 2008

Review by horsewithteeth11
4 stars This is the first part of Casey Crescenzo's 6-part concept album about a boy named simply The Dear Hunter. However, the first part is an EP, not a full LP. Nevertheless, this is still a pretty sound recording.

This EP was recorded before Casey had formed a permanent core of musicians to create "The Dear Hunter's" music. But I highly doubt that discouraged him in any way, given the fact that he plays nearly all the instruments and does lead vocals. Except for some drums, organ, trumpet, and three backing vocalists (both the drummers and two of the vocalists are relatives of Casey's although I'm not sure which ones they are), this is pretty much a solo project by Casey under the name "The Dear Hunter". The music is still of a very high quality however. It is of course very eclectic in range, going from post-hardcore and experimental rock to progressive rock as well as folksy and acoustic passages. The production quality is of course of a very high quality. Casey did do some production work on the debut album for The Receiving End of Sirens so it's safe to assume that the production quality here is crisp and clear.

Normally I don't like giving EPs a 5 star rating, and unfortunately I won't be doing so with this one. I tend to enjoy this a bit more than Act II because the length isn't an issue here. I'll give this 4.5 stars, but round it down to 4. If you're looking to check this band out and are worried about the lengthy debut LP, start here. Recommended to...well, pretty much anyone who enjoys eclectic music with a bit of quirkiness.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#220621) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars Cinematic is how I would describe this music, and rightfully so- this is, after all, the first act in what is supposed to be a six part affair. Overall, this is a lovely and thoughtful work, almost serving as a wondrous prologue.

"Battesimo Del Fuoco" This two minute a cappella prelude, the title of which is Italian for "Baptism of Fire," has many layers of gorgeous vocals.

"The Lake South" Even shorter than the first track, this piece has trumpet and other brass instruments, and sounds like music straight from the beginning of a motion picture. You can almost picture the opening credits rolling.

"City Escape" The rock begins here, though, with crispy guitar and somewhat heavy drums. A disembodied female vocal bridges the convincing male verses, which are punctuated by hard-hitting chords. Ghostly piano breathes new life into the piece and ushers in an ethereal chorus of voices.

"The Inquiry of Ms. Terri" Laid back and yet somehow simultaneously very intense, this piece incorporates heavy and almost melodramatic sections with the graceful choir that is Judy Crescenzo, the mother of the mind behind this project. Bizarre noises take over at the end.

"1878" A softer piece, laced with rich acoustic guitar and fluttering drums, this song contains an extremely memorable melody in the refrain. Phil Crescenzo, the father of the composer, guests with a royal organ part that compliments the music but stands out to a great degree. This is a true highlight of the album.

"The Pimp and The Priest" A dark and fun cabaret-style song, this contains some of the harder elements of previous songs with a jaunty twist. It closes with another fantastic a cappella passage.

"His Hands Matched His Tongue" Clean, finger-picked guitar softens things up. As per an overall pattern of the album, a complex vocal section concludes the song.

"The River North" Quiet piano, which sounds like a vinyl record, begins the end of this EP. The static remains though the music is long gone, and finally people applause, and the scene closes like an orchestral concert.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#236280) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars 1/6, count next 2 (as of Sep-2009) reviews as connected with this one. Probably the least melodic from them all. But that's not fault of course, "Battesimo del Fuoco" (why I wanted to write Batessimo instead? Probably English language deformation) starts (and ends) a capella. And as soon as you get accustomed to singer's voice, you can enjoy wonderful harmony of his and backing vocals. I said similar thing in Blomljud review and there I used The Beach Boys connection. Well, here I use Moon Safari similarity. Story here is for sure important, but I'm able (bad thing for all foreigners) to understand it just barely. Maybe after some analysis I will read, or many listens, I will understand completely. "The Lake South" starts with something I though that is trumpet, but then another came and I'm confused. Maybe two trumpets, but one of them is in waltz rhythm, second normal 4/4. And piano. And haunting feeling (these mist surrounded American lakes).

"City Escape" is quite furious (almost got feelings of emo movement, you know, similar style of singing, not so often heard in prog and yeah, punk and emo styles are connected. Fortunately, this has potential, while emo has just melody, which, as fact, I foundd quite lacking of interest) and I suppose has interesting lyrics. Poetical, with more meanings, but I just can't get through to it. "The Inquiry Of Ms. Terri" reminds me certain parts of Bring Back Boston Rag by Steely Dan.It's quite calm song, but this Ms. again confuses me. About what lady this story is ? I feel like blind person watching a movie, at least I can hear. Oh, a change occurred. I can read again, I'm not blindfolded anymore. Let's use brain! 1- Oh, it's about first moments of His life, the birth, quite hard life I suppose, his mother either did something terrible, or just inconvenient in these times. I like this era, around start of 20th century, many legends still living, Wild West still functional (little bit), nature untamed and The Lake. 3-It's hard to recognize if it's ""Ms. Terri"", or ""mystery"" sung differently. Nah, too metaphorical for my amateur poetical skills. Is it about life of her mother before his birth, or things which leaded to her being pregnant (assuming that it's about birth). 4+ "The Inquiry..." so we continue. Wikipedia says ///Ms: (/ˈmɪz/ or /mɨz/) - for women who do not wish to state their marital status.///, so our lady is not so keen on idea of telling facts about her. That's maybe key fact to understanding the story. I hope that she's not girlfriend of The Dear Hunter, this would have fatal consequences on the story. Musically, it's amazingly structured song. How it's descend higher on the musical scale, same as story is ascending to final ecstasy of truth. Quite haunting story and definitely a good one.

"1878" is quite strange song. Similar melody as many songs from current times, but lyrics are suggesting, that things are still back in reality (I mean past). Not much matching the whole scheme here, sounds too cheap for me. "The Pimp and the Priest" is again return to old ways of this album. Radical change of styles and combination of songs I've never though that could be together. And again, my favourite waltz. Everyone who'll hear its rhythm will recognize it for sure, as it has different effects on different people. Since Sleeping inn Traffic part 2, I love it. Well, since times of Dance on Blue Danube. This is one of the best songs here and fully shows this prog thing about TDR. "His Hands Matched His Tongue" oh, just try to enjoy every instrument here, every single one of them can be clearly heard. "His Hands Matched His Tongue" oh, just try to enjoy every instrument here, every single one of them can be clearly heard. Two songs, one next to another, both exactly 6 minutes long ? Maybe just coincidence. And last 2-3 minutes can be understood as interpretation of sung lyrics. Last track is sad piano outro.

Masterpiece number one. Will second one prove its worth too ?

EDIT: 4(+), after some time, it loses many of these traits. What is left is, even interesting, bunch of not so consistent songs. There's graduation, third part have big possibility to reach 5-star status. And also gains some

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#237147) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 04, 2009

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars The beginning of a truly amazing rock opera (so far at least.)

I have and always will be a fan of rock operas. Don't know why I love them as much as I do, I just do. But when I stumbled across this band (don't even remember how that happened) and saw that he was planning a six-part rock opera all I could think was HECK YES! I immeadiately bought the first two (because those were the only two out at the time, review of Act II soon to follow) and was comletely blown away upon first listen.

The acapella intro really sets the mood for the birth and The Lake South serves as a great piano intro that builds up into City Escape. This part is about the boy (The Dear Hunter) being born and his prostitute mother (Ms. Terri) leaving the city after his birth. Then the Inquiry of Ms. Terri and 1878 explains how the boy is raised and both have a more pastoral feel than the other songs (rightfully so.) Then the mother's profession is revealed in The Pimp and the Priest (Yes, priest by day, pimp by night, go figure) somewhat cynical song, this one. In His Hands Matched His Tongue, Ms. Terri raises the boy through puberty (but somehow manages to keep her profession revealed from him) Then a piano outro sets up for the next act... The storyline is important to know because the album perfectly reflects it (a reason I love it) and it's a very interesting story.

Act 1 is probably the least exciting act but it's not the worst one musically by any means and the storyline is kept well (unlike some rock operas... AHEM*LAMB*AHEM.) But please check this out because the band does not recieve alot of the praise they deserve and it's a just plain great listen.

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#284884) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 04, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars The Dear Hunter do the indie prog thing with grandiose ambition on this first concept album, presented as the start of an extremely long rock opera. There's some Radioheadisms sprinkled here and there about the shop but to my ears they mostly remind me of an alternate take on the Decemberists, if you took out the folk influences and replaced them with classical - there's the same tendency towards whimsical cabaret, the same vocal playfulness, and the same hit and miss pattern when it comes to retaining my attention. It's competent stuff, and Casey Crescenzo and family clearly aren't short on talent, but they don't quite weave together their indie rock-prog blend tightly enough to save this from feeling patchy.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1184800) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 04, 2014

4 stars This is an interesting indie prog album that like other similar bands like The Tea Party mix different sounds from different bands to come up with something that is pleasant but still obvious where the influences lie. THE DEAR HUNTER seems like it has serious influence from Muse, The Mars Volta a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1121593) | Posted by siLLy puPPy | Sunday, January 26, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A significant first step into perfection. I never heard any of his earlier work wiht The Receiving End of Sirens, so the Dear Hunter project is my first introduction to this modern genius Casey Crescenzo. In one listen, Casey's sense of great melodies will capture you. The first acapella prolo ... (read more)

Report this review (#254681) | Posted by terryl | Monday, December 07, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well well. I haven't reviewed something in a long time and lo and behold, The Dear Hunter is what i'm reviewing. I stumbled upon these guys, mainly, from word of mouth around my circle of musicians. So I searched their name in the archives, listened to The Lake and the River and absolutely fell i ... (read more)

Report this review (#192742) | Posted by Treasure | Friday, December 12, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Casey Crescenzo of Recieving End of Sirens semi-fame shocked me greatly with this album. A good song-writer and musician in REoS truly evolved into something more when he began working on this album. Gone are the post-hardcore influences and a carnival of progressive rock is opened. Casey really ... (read more)

Report this review (#189673) | Posted by Lezaza | Monday, November 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I happened to browse through the best albums of 2007 and happened to notice how Fear of A Blank Planet was pushed out #1 place and replaced by Act II of TDH. Seeing how much hype Porcupine Tree's latest album was getting I was really surprised to see it beaten out of first by a band I have never ... (read more)

Report this review (#162093) | Posted by SpaceMonkey | Monday, February 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE DEAR HUNTER "Act I: The Lake South, The River North"