Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Prog Metal Team
5 stars This was my introduction to Jethro Tull's sound and it was a love at first sight (...or a listen).

Every since listening to Thick As A Brick I've been desperately searching through the rest of the band's catalog to assure myself that this just wasn't one of those rare magical album releases. So far only Aqualung managed to come close to this staggering album and after purchasing another three Jethro Tull albums I gave up the search of another masterpiece of equal caliber. It's still a mystery to me how a band like this could make such a risky decision that in result payed off so well. Maybe it was the spirit of the early '70s rock movement or just the raw genius of Anderson/Barre?

The composition is divided in many sections where my favorite comes towards the 7th minute of part 1 that I call Master Of The House and it starts with the lyrics: "The Poet and the painter casting shadows on the water...". There are of course many more great moments here that increase with each new revisit of this great album. So no matter how you approach it, at the end of the day, it's the total result that really counts and this one reaches quite high in my book.

***** star songs: Thick As A Brick (part I) (22:45)

**** star songs: Thick As A Brick (part II) (21:05)

Total Rating: 4,52