The Chronicles of Israfel - Starborn,Tome I CD (album) cover

STARBORN,TOME I

The Chronicles of Israfel

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
3 stars "Starborn, Tome 1" is the debut full-length studio album by The Chronicles of Israfel. The album was released in 2007 through Bridge of Hands Entertainment. The Chronicles of Israfel is a one-man project formed by Dominic Cifarelli. Dominic Cifarelli handles guitars, bass, vocals, samples and keyboards. He is helped out on the album by drummer Joey Bastone. The project was created in a turbulent period of Dominic Cifarelliīs life as his band Pulse Ultra were on the brink of splitting up. "Starborn, Tome 1" was born out the frustration.

"Starborn, Tome 1" is a sci-fi concept album and all tracks segue into each other to form one long listening experience. The album opens with a trio of instrumental tracks and I was beginning to wonder if this was an instrumental album, but "Burning Day" introduces pleasant and strong vocals (nice harmonies too). The music on the album is progressive metal. Itīs mostly guitar and vocal driven but complimented by atmosphere creating keyboards. I think all elements succeed in bringing out the right atmosphere to compliment the sci-fi lyrics.

The sound production is good, but a bit compressed. The drums have a kind of artificial sound that lacks a bit of power to my ears.

The musicianship is strong. The drumming by Joey Bastone leaves a bit to be desired though and combined with the not so strong drum sound that part of the album is a slight weakness.

Overall "Starborn, Tome 1" is a pretty strong progressive metal album though and the few weaknesses donīt overshadow the fact that I for the most part enjoy the album. A 3.5 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |