Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (4 -

Peter Gabriel

5 stars This album is a prog masterpiece - in fact its a very versatile record with pop songs (Shock the Monkey, I have the touch) World Music (Rhythm of the Heat, Kiss of Life) and a prog masterpiece (The Family and the Fishing Net - disturbing lyrics, disturbing music - but just fantastic once you got into it). San Jacinto is simply beautiful and great, Lay your hands on me starts like a ballad but has some surprising energy in the undertow. Wallflower is decent but nothing to write home about. It has charms, nevertheless. Kiss of Life I find a bit out of place with its calypso like rhythm - it's not only strange , it is a very crude ending for such a subtle record. As if PG lost his good taste for a moment. But not even these 4 minutes of mayhem can hamper this most accomplished of Peter Gabriel Solo albums - five stars.

Favourite sings: Rhythm of the Heat, San Jacinto, I have the Touch, The Family and the Fishing Net, Lay your Hands on Me

strayfromatlantis | 5/5 |