Tangerine Dream - Tangram CD (album) cover

TANGRAM

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

russellk
3 stars A major regression from the brilliance of their previous two albums. 'Tangram' is still strong, but it sits on the cusp of electronica and space-rock, neither one nor the other. Two side-long tracks is a long journey to make, and there are far too few moments to make that journey worthwhile.

Of the two sets, I prefer Set 2 myself, but most others prefer Set 1. In the end it hardly matters: these tracks don't have the strong personalities their 1978 and 1979 records did, and lack the energy and drama I'd expect from 1980. It wouldn't have surprised me to learn this was actually recorded in 1976, so retrogressive does it sound. From a wildly experimental band this is a very middle of the road release, with hints of what went before and what was to come.

russellk | 3/5 |