Supertramp - Crime Of The Century CD (album) cover

4 stars Now they're planning the crime of the century Well what will it be?

Well, personally, my crime was not discovering this gem in the last century. Sure it's not the epic and grandiose progressive music that I first fell in love with in the late '70's, but it's a great listen all the same. I have to think it was influential to some prog that came after it. In particular I think Pink Floyd expanded on some of the lyric themes in The Wall. Marillion's He Knows You Know has parts that sound like parts of School. I also hear some similarities to Kayak of the same era. Wondering who influenced whom or was it merely coincidental?

These guys weren't really considered progressive or whatever the hell we were calling the really good music back then, primarily due to their hits on commercial radio. Seems Supertramp actually had its proggy moments, but I won't be rushing to acquire their whole catalog any time soon. Still, suspect there are some other nice surprises out there. I'm sure prog fans who know this band better would say "quite right".

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |