Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

3 stars I once thought of LED ZEPPELIN II as a grower type of album, and I once thought it was a more than sufficient prog-related album. I don't hold either of those opinions these days as I feel that radio over-exposure caused me to lose interest in the band. ''Whole Lotta Love'' and ''Heartbreaker'' are two of the most well known tunes and I can't get into either of them anymore. Weird.

I'd still give this at max 3.5 stars, but since we're on a prog website, there isn't a lot of prog here...mostly bluesy-rock tunes. ''Ramble On'' has possibly the closest prog connection with that great bass performance from Jonesy. The kicker though, I find the lyrics to be a tad silly. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great, ''rocking'' tunes, but the appeal here is short-lived only if you've never been a keen Led Zeppelin fan.

Sinusoid | 3/5 |