Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon CD (album) cover

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

fuxi
5 stars I hesitated a little before I awarded this album a full five stars. Let's just confess the truth: it's so terribly well-known! You wouldn't tell the world that THRILLER or even AQUALUNG was one of your favourite albums, would you? As a critic, you ought to sound a LITTLE sophisticated...

But such objections are useless. No matter how I look at it, DARK SIDE is perhaps the most perfect masterpiece in prog history. Other albums, by different artists, may mean more to me, but I can think of no other sequence of songs in prog that is as famous as this and yet so flawless and gripping. As any Floyd fan will tell you, this is the album the band had longed to make ever since Syd Barrett's early retirement. Not a second is wasted; all the VCS3 synths and funny sound effects are just right (back in the seventies, DARK SIDE demonstrated the virtues of hundreds of thousands of stereo systems); the lyrics are meaningful without sounding silly (in prog, a comparative rarity); Dave Gilmour's guitar solos are majestic (particularly the one on 'Time'); and those vocals - there's no need to list them all, since each and every one of them is a delight.

I doff my hat. Classics just don't come any more classical.

fuxi | 5/5 |