Caravan - BBC Radio 1 Live in Concert CD (album) cover

BBC RADIO 1 LIVE IN CONCERT

Caravan

Canterbury Scene

clarke2001
1 stars I love canterbury and I love live recordings but this is not really my cup of tea. So I'm warning you: there's a good chance that you will love it much more than me. It seems most of people do. However, Caravan Live: something is missing, it's really hard to say what. First of all, all songs drag a lot, and second, I can't hear the substance. It sounds like they're doing long intros without really getting into themes; and when the themes are finally there they're shallow in the worst case, or moderately good - but I can't attach my attention to them. I'm missing bits of furiosity. Guitars are furious - at the moment, there's a pure metal riff - but again it goes on and on. Slow development. Too slow. And not developed enough. Violin is giving same fake innuendo of loveliness. Vocals and dedicated melodies are mediocre. Sorry I must say the same for keys. In general there are very few moments on this recording I'm able to enjoy. Everything is cold and static, despite the lenghts. And after a listening, I don't remember a thing.

Sounds like not the best live record around; in a contradiction with announcement at the beginning. To be honest, as much as I love canterbury scene, I never heard a live album that I would really like; I prefer studio albums from this genre. This one is no exception, but it's also a lowest point so far. Just...no.

clarke2001 | 1/5 |