Queensr˙che - Take Cover CD (album) cover

TAKE COVER

Queensr˙che

In the Flesh?
3 stars Covers & cover-albums are always two-edged swords. While a rendition can really sound interesting, it can also be completely destroyed. Queensryche's Take Cover is enjoyable when you listen to it, but when you compare some of the covers to their originals - it's just not it. While I thoroughly enjoyed Welcome to the Machine and Neon Knights (Tate even sounds like Mr. Dio!), I hardly survived the blasphemy of For What it's Worth. I know, a point is to make covers sound a little different than the originals (the band's style apparently has to be incorporated into the piece), but there's a limit in everything. Q's versions of Innuendo and Synchronicity II can be counted as good ones. I guess we could put Bullet the Blue Sky in the same group. However, the middle part is REALLY long and useless. Tate's monologue could have been much shorter - to say a lot with fewer words.

This collection is not really bad (like cover-albums can be!), so I suggest you give it a spin. You could find it interesting. If you can swallow some failors, that is.

In the Flesh? | 3/5 |