The Evpatoria Report - Golevka CD (album) cover

GOLEVKA

The Evpatoria Report

Post Rock/Math rock

Prog-jester
3 stars THE EVPATORIA REPORT is well-known band among Post-Rock fans (well, at least I think so!), and the usual thing about them is eternal comparison to YNDI HALDA, JOHNNYTWENTYTHREE, THE PIRATE SHIP QUINTET and loads of other bands who mix guitar-driven Post-Rock of EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY with Epic strings of GY!BE.

Chronologically, THE EVPATORIA REPORT (and lesser-known bands like BRIGHT RED PAPER and DETWIIJE) were the first to bring violin to the forefront, as the leading instrument. I like what I heard on 'Golevka', but I can't stop thinking of YNDI HALDA in the same time - I mean, I like YNDIES a LOT more. It's not fair to compare, but TER's stuff seems to be less interesting, epics are mostly built on one melody/chord progression, and climaxes are too predictable and even a bit boring. I like the whole idea and the very fact that each one can choose a band to his own likings (X likes YNDI HALDA, Y prefers THE EVPATORIA REPORT, etc), besides TER have released their stuff before others (there's a self- released self-titled EP from 2003 available for free download from their site, grab it while you can!)...so I feel like this review mostly spins around my personal moan 'I like it, but I heard it from YH and liked their stuff even better!' As a conclusion, I wholeheartedly recommend this album to everyone, especially to PA Post-Rock lovers (more reviewing, guys!). 3.5 stars!

Prog-jester | 3/5 |