Kayak - Phantom of the Night  CD (album) cover

PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT

Kayak

friso
3 stars Kayak - Phantom of the Night (1979)

This album is hard to rate. It indeed is the best sold album of Kayak, containing the hit Ruthless Queen. On this record you will find the most beatifull songs, but the problem is: it ain't so progressive. Side one has five good songs wich really work out fine. Side two is however the more interesting part of the album because here we find the more progressive rock feeling Kayak used to give us. Daphne is a great ballad with nice instrumental work. No man's land is a great song with ex-singer (and now drummer) Max Werner on lead vocals. This is a wise discision because it really cheers me up to here him sing. Edward Reekers also does a great job singing the other songs. Journey trought time is a good progsong and the last song finishing the record Phantom of the Night really works for me. It's just a great ballad/song recorded with the right vibe. However, it turned out to be the beginning of the end for Kayak too. After this the album Periscope life is 100% pop and not worthwile for any progfan. Only Merlin gave us some old Kayak vibe. This album was finished in 2003, so I highly recommend the 2003 version.

So, in summery, It's good. But non-essential for all progmusic lovers. I would highly recommend to all the Kayak fans though, for it is an good album. And it has also been an important album for the band.

friso | 3/5 |