The Faceless - Akeldama CD (album) cover

AKELDAMA

The Faceless

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
3 stars Akeldama is the debut album from American tech death metal band The Faceless. The Faceless is in the brutal end of the death metal spectra even though they show more contemporary tendencies towards genres like metalcore and deathcore. The main ingredients in The Faceless music is technical death metal though.

The music is generally very technical and there are lots of sections in every song. I hear influences from many different extreme metal genres like Swedish old school death metal ( just listen to the opening riff of the first song, itīs pure nostalgia for someone like me) as mentioned above metalcore and deathcore, tech death metal like Atheist, Death and Cynic, hardcore breakdowns like the ones used by Dying Fetus. I heard a riff that reminded me of Pestilence from Testimony of the Ancients and the deep growling vocals reminds me of Coldworker ( there are also some screaming vocals). There are also some keyboard parts here and there. The music on Akeldama is a mix of various metal genres as you can probably understand from my description. Itīs quite eclectic in that respect. There are lots of tempo and time signature changes in every song, which means these songs never get boring. The changes flow really well and I donīt feel any riff seems forced which is one of the most common flaws in this type of music.

The musicians are very well playing and itīs a joy to listen to their skills. I will mention drummer Brett Batdorf for his unbelievably fast and precise playing.

The production is good and emphasises the brutality in the music well.

I think this is a good tech death metal album that lends both from classic nineties tech death metal and from more contemporary genres like metalcore and deathcore. I like their music when they play their brutal parts while I think the music is a bit generic when it comes to the more melodic parts. The use of keyboards isnīt to my liking either. There are lots of great things to mention about Akeldama, but there are also parts that I donīt like. This means that this otherwise high quality tech death metal album receives a 3 star rating from me. There are simply too many contemporary tendencies that I donīt like in the music for me to justify giving the album 4 stars. Iīm sure others will feel differently about this than me but I do prefer the nineties tech death metal style over the more contemporary approach to the genre.

UMUR | 3/5 |