Jethro Tull - The Jethro Tull Christmas Album CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Garion81
4 stars Truly a Winter Snowscape

What a great treat this CD is at any time of the year. Ian Anderson demonstrates his ability to move in and out of styles with great help from Martin Barre and the other members of the band. There is enough of the traditional sounding melodies (God Rest You Merry Gentleman) to call it a Christmas album but there are many classic Tull themes (A Christmas Song, Solstice Bells) and some surprisingly satisfying new material (Birthday Card at Christmas, First Snow in Brooklyn and Winter Snowscape).

For me this is the best Tull album since Songs Form the Woods. I love the jazz in this work something I really had never experienced with Tull before. 7 Instrumentals is also pretty unusual bet very welcome. The music set the theme for Christmas but also transcends it as well. Maybe I have mellowed as I get older but I almost prefer this type of Tull to rockin band from the Aqualung days.

Music for Christmas and beyond indeed. Most Tull fans should like this and certainly prog folk fans. 4.5 stars

Garion81 | 4/5 |