Jethro Tull - Stormwatch CD (album) cover

STORMWATCH

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

friso
4 stars This was one of the first '70 progrecords I had. I've always liked it, but till know I didn't really had enough knowlegde to place this one in it's time. I own all the important Jetro Tull albums and this one is still very special to me.

The album starts of with North sea oil. A good song with some great instrumental parts you will like after the first time you've heard it. Orion has the real progvibe, some of the changes of themes sound a bit strange here, but it suids the song.

Dark ages is an epos. A lot of themes are used her giving us the prog we expect from this band. It start's of as dark as the title. Just a piano with a few notes filled up by changing instruments. In this song we also find very nice rock themes with flute solo's. Great composition!

Somethings on the move and Old ghost are both nice songs, not very surpising. They do earn their place on the record. The Flying Dutchman is still one of my favourite songs ever! So melodic, so dramatic! It really gives me a warm feeling. It's a highlight in their career. Also listen to the flute solo's on this track. Elegy is a classical music inspired piece with spanish guitars and other akoustic instruments. It's a good finishing touch for this album.

I think this album is underrated. OK, it does not sound like Thick as Brick. It's not that progressive. But for time being, 1979, this was is pearl in prog. They did manage to remain inventive though the age of prog was over. For that, in combination with the album being good, this album deserves four stars!

friso | 4/5 |