Can - Soundtracks CD (album) cover

SOUNDTRACKS

Can

Krautrock

friso
4 stars This album is still a bit underrated. It might not be what most canfans would expect. It's less hypnotic, more badassrock sounding. Also the fact that it's a soundtrack may work against the popularity of this album of the Can, for the movies must have been bad, b-movies I guess. The thing I enjoy most about this album is the fact that it sounds like a perfect soundtrack for movies as Lock stock and two smoking barrels and The Boondog Saints. They should have used this music. It's a very dinstinguishing sound. A friend of mine (with completely no knowledge of prog, so in a way objective) said that it sounded like realy dirty rock. I guess he didn't hear the experimental way of how they bring this dirty art.

The Deadlockmovie themes are the beginning of the album. The first song, Deadlock, is so cool! Atmospheric guitar sound. Just a great '69 recording. Even so much more fresh then something compareble for the time being as In a gadda la vi by Iron Butterfly. They were far ahead of their time. Thang Whiskeyman is from the same movie and the song has the same vibe. The final deadlock theme is a short intense comeback of themes heard before on the other tracks before this one. Great!

Sould Desert is a bit harder to like, for it's keyword must have been repetition. This does give it the hypnotic sound wich the real fans will enjoy! I myself find this song a bit to easy.

Mother Skey. Great epos. I like the lyrics in the middle! It also must have been an inspiration for Supersister's Pudding and Gisteren, cause one theme really sounds like the same. Can was, as usually, first. A long some, great instrumental parts, great vibe. Like only Can can do.

She brings the rain is one suprise left for the end of the album! It's actually a jazzy song. Very well chosen as an ending for the album. Great akoustic guitars, great vocals. Not an ordinary Can recording, but this album hasn't been that from the start, so it is actually very interesting to hear what thes guys are capable of. And so a great jazz track ends the journey.

Well you people understand, four stars!!

friso | 4/5 |