SOUNDTRACKS

Buy CAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Deadlock (3:25)
2. Tango Wiskyman (4:02)
3. Deadlock (Titelmusik) (1:40)
4. "Don't Turn the Light on," Leave me Alone (3:42)
5. Soul Desert (3:46)
6. Mother Sky (14:30)
7. She brings the Rain (4:04)

Search CAN Soundtracks lyrics

Search CAN Soundtracks tabs

- Holger Czukay / bass
- Michael Karoli / guitar
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums
- Irmin Schmidt / keyboards
- Damo Suzuki / vocals (1, 2, 4 & 6)
- Malcolm Mooney / vocals (5 & 7)

Lps-Celluloide records-CEL 6606 France

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Soundtracks Music

Flow MotionFlow Motion
Remastered
Mute 2012
JAZZ LP THE GENTLE ART OF ART CAN DAMME QUINTET US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 25s
NO LAUGHING 45 Wor Shu Opp / Can't Catch (Where You're Coming From) w/pic - NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 31m 31s
78 RPM General record Minnie Loves Lavender Can't Sleep With Woman Old Roosters US $6.50 [0 bids]
31m 41s
MIRACLES-YOU CAN DEPEND ON THEM CD NEW US $26.33 Buy It Now 32m 28s
BANTON BUJU-20TH CENTURY MASTERS (CAN) CD NEW US $14.88 Buy It Now 32m 33s
DION, C?LINE-1 FILLE ET 4 TYPES (CAN) CD NEW US $19.28 Buy It Now 32m 37s
LP-Les Napoleons A Go Go 60's can.garage punk-RE US $15.99 [1 bids]
33m 26s
Cineramas - Life Can Be Beautiful / It Must Be Love - Lost Nite 237 US $1.95 [0 bids]
34m 11s
LP-Maniacs-Can also Use Fruit 80's garage psych band US $9.99 [0 bids]
34m 15s
Rock 'n' Roll (45 P/S) The Honeycombs "I Can't Stop" (Interphon) 1964 exc US $5.59 [0 bids]
36m 37s
Kool Skool - You Can't Buy My Love - 4 Trk US Promo CD New Jack Swing 1990 US $19.99 Buy It Now 36m 45s
Barry White "Can't Get Enough" US $8.99 Buy It Now 36m 56s
HOLGER CZUKAY - ON THE WAY PEAK NORMAL , AUSTRIA CD CAN OOP US $29.99 [0 bids]
37m 22s
Vernon Burch ?- Never Can Find A Way / Dr. Do It Good 1979 DISCO!! US $8.15 Buy It Now 38m 9s
KATIE EMME/we can dance/1997 12" single sealed US $8.99 Buy It Now 38m 29s
k.d. lang , Audio CD, All You Can Eat US $7.09 Buy It Now 39m 43s
THE BEE GEES - HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - 45rpm (200) US $0.99 [0 bids]
40m 55s
These Cats Can Swing! - Maynard Ferguson New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.20 Buy It Now 41m 12s
Ballad / Northern Soul (45) Eddie Holman "This Can't Be True" (Parkway) HEAR IT US $5.59 [0 bids]
41m 30s
1 GLENN FREY i found somebody / she can't let go JUKEBOX TITLE STRIP US $2.00 Buy It Now 42m 32s
1 GO GO'S we got the beat / can't stop the world JUKEBOX TITLE STRIP US $2.00 Buy It Now 43m 17s
Deadhorse (2) ?- We Can Create Our Own World Limited Edition Vinyl Gold / Black US $16.90 Buy It Now 45m 6s
70's Rock (45) Bill Deal & The Rondells "Can You Make It" (Polydor) NM ... PROMO US $2.79 [0 bids]
45m 15s
STEVE TAYLOR - Now The Truth Can Be Told - Christian Music CCM Pop Alt Rock CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 46m 12s
BOILER ROOM 'Can't Breathe' 13 song cd 2000 Rob Caggiano ANTHRAX Volbeat US $1.95 [0 bids]
48m 30s
MADONNA You Can Dance CD, 1987 US $2.24 Buy It Now 50m 44s
2 GLORIA GAYNOR LPs- NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE -& LOVE TRACKS - BOTH VG++ TO NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 16s
BETTYE LAVETTE "Doin' The Best That I Can" 1978 disco 12" vinyl single record EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
51m 39s
SLAUGHTER One Foot In The Grave CD ..NEW..SEALED..MINT...CAN BE SIGNED..RARE!!!! US $10.99 [0 bids]
52m 3s
Bunny Berigan - I Can't Get Started / Frankie & Johnny - RCA 0075 US $1.95 [0 bids]
52m 35s
TREVOR RABIN - Can't Look Away - 1989 - CD - 9 60781-2 - UPC 7559-60781-2 US $3.99 [0 bids]
53m 33s
Anyone Can Dance: Salsa US $16.96 Buy It Now 53m 40s
Henry Jerome, Promo Record, "Alfie/Can't Take My Eyes Off You" UA 50275 US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 5s
Johnny Thunders You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory 7" Real Records UK 1978 US $13.50 [6 bids]
54m 32s
Pop Promo 45 PAUL WESTON Nice Work If You Can Get It on Columbia (PROMO) US $0.99 [0 bids]
55m 42s
Children For Rwanda Love Can Build A Bridge Cd Single US $11.41 Buy It Now 55m 44s
ALVIN STARDUST Good Love Can Never Die 45 & PS Magnet MAG 21 1974 UK NM VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
57m 12s
STEVE WARINER - YOU CAN DREAM OF ME - 45rpm + FREE P/S* (MS4) US $1.25 [0 bids]
57m 28s
Abraham & His Sons - Your Mother Understood / I Can't Do Without You US $7.95 [2 bids]
57m 46s
NOFX PMRC Can Suck On This 7"Fat Wreck Chords Punk Fat Mike Insert 1987 US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 57s
Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We...12" Ralph McD - Calypso B US $9.99 Buy It Now 58m 40s
7" JUNIOR WELLS Leave My Woman Alone // I Can't Stand on Signifying BLUE ROCK US $3.00 [0 bids]
1h
7" ALBERT KING Ain't Nothing You Can Do // I Don't Care What My Baby Do UTOPIA US $3.00 [0 bids]
1h
Pearl Bailey I Can't Rock & Roll To Save My Soul / The Gypsy Goofed VG++ to NM US $6.00 [0 bids]
1h
CAMEL - I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $32.11 Buy It Now 1h
STEVIE NICKS - "I CAN'T WAIT / THE NIGHTMARE" - w/ SLEEVE US $0.59 [0 bids]
1h
MYRON - WE CAN GET DOWN 3-TRACK U.S. DIGIPAK PROMO DJ CD CS270 US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Friends of the Family Can't Go Home 7" vinyl 45 rpm SMASH 1968 US $107.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Bands That Can Boogie Woogie [ORIGINAL RECORDINGS REMAS US $23.02 Buy It Now 1h 2m
TAYLOR DAYNE ""CAN'T FIGHT FATE"" CD US $2.97 [0 bids]
THE BEST THAT I CAN DO BY JOHN MELLENCAMP CD US $5.97 [0 bids]
BETTYE LAVETTE - Doin' The Best That I Can - WEST END 12" single 1978 US $4.49 [0 bids]
CAN'T HARDLY WAIT Original Soundtrack OOP Cassette NEW US $24.98 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BING DAY - I CAN'T HELP IT / MAMA'S PLACE PROMO 45! '59 rockabilly HEAR Mercury US $19.99 [0 bids]
DOLLY PARTON - MORE THAT I CAN SAY - 45rpm US $1.25 [0 bids]
THE BEST OF SPARKS: MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO CD Mint US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Judds Love Can Build A Bridge 1990 Country CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
MARY J BLIGE w/FOXY BROWN US AMERICA 1997NM2x 12" I CAN LOVE YOU ship from JAPAN US $89.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Elvis Inspirational CD If I Can Dream Put Your Hand In The Hand US $4.00 [0 bids]
RAY CHARLES 45 I Can Make It Thru The Days / Ring Of Fire - NM US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
CAN TAGO MAGO UNITED ARTISTS UAD60009 10 UK PRESSING DOUBLE VINYL LP US $60.12 [10 bids]
All Mankind - Can You Hear Me? - SEALED U.K. cd - RARE! Digipak US $7.17 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Path of Resistance, Can't Stop the Truth , CD US $3.69 [0 bids]
VICTOR 19403 Lou Holtz OH SOLE OH ME / I CAN'T GET THE ONE I WANT Comedy 78 RPM US $14.99 [0 bids]
Vanessa Williams You Can't Run CD Single Mercury CDP 1482 1994 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Jim Wilson Can't Find My Way Home CD Single Hillsoboro DPRO17018 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
COUNTRY 45 DON ANTHONY Anyone Can Move A Mountain US $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 10m
(DQ686) You Can't Be My Girl, Darwin Deez - 2013 DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Michael Stanley Band LP You Can't Fight Fashion SEALED ORIG US $5.00 [0 bids]
(DQ688) We Can Fly, Bodysnatcher - 2012 DJ CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 11m
RUSTY DRAPER Seventeen / Can't Live Without Them ROCKABILLY 45 RPM RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Desperate Men Original Concept. Can You Feel It US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
GENESIS - INVISIBLE TOUCH - WE CAN'T DANCE CD LOT US $11.99 [0 bids]
XSCAPE w/ JERMAINE DUPRI Who Can I REMIX & EXRENDED PROMO DJ CD Single Run to US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Lacy J. Dalton Can't Run Away From Your Heart US $1.49 Buy It Now 1h 12m
CHARLIE MURPHY can you feel the beat/on fire RECORD BREAKS NINA SKY LLOYD BANKS US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MAD LADS Northern 45 I Want Someone / Nothing Can Break Through - NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
JEAN KNIGHT 45 Anyone Can Love Him / Don't Break My Heart (promo) - NM US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MILLIE SCOTT: I Can Make It Good For You LP (co, promo stamp obc, title toc) So US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
FUTURE CITY PEOPLE PUZZLE/CAN'T WAIT 12" SINGLE BOSTON SYNTH POP 1983 ZIP RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
DON HENLEY - I Can't Stand Still - ASYLUM - LP 1982 NM US $3.59 [0 bids]
Jerry Wallace I Can See An Angle Walking & Life's A Holiday US $2.22 [0 bids]
THE VOICES OF EAST HARLEM Can You Feel It LP Just Sunshine Soul Funk M- US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE MARVELOUS MELODY MAKERS if you can't god can Lp RECORD US $8.75 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE WORKS PUNK ROCK "FANTASY B/W I CAN DO WITHOUT THE PAIN" WICKENDEN RECORDS US $280.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
LIGHTHOUSE -- Can you feel it -- 1973 LP release US $5.00 [0 bids]
Don Henley: I Can't Stand Still Lp US $2.49 [0 bids]
(DS356) The Dreaming Spires, Just Can't Keep This Feeling In - DJ CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Paper Lace Can You Get It When You Want It & The Night Chicago Died US $2.22 [0 bids]
Natalie Cole Capitol 45 Record #4572 NM 1977 Annie Mae / just Can't stay Away US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
ANGST scarce USA promo 7" 45 SOME THINGS (I Can't Get Used To) on SST, punk US $25.20 Buy It Now 1h 18m
WAS NOT WAS white people can't dance 12" RECORD PROMO US $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 18m
SHAMEN i can move any mountain progen 91 12" RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
SHIRLEY LEWIS you can't hide 12" RECORD PROMO 1989 US $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 18m
WAS NOT WAS anything can happen 12" RECORD 1989 US $8.75 Buy It Now 1h 18m
THE TEMPTATIONS U.S. VINYL 45 ( I CAN'T GET NEXT TO YOU ) w/ ORIG SHEET MUSIC NM US $29.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
THE DELL-VIKINGS 1957 "COME GO WITH ME/HOW CAN I FIND TRUE LOVE" VG++ US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 19m
1977 White Label Promo Funk 45 Mandrill Can You Get It (Suzie Caesar) AS 0304 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Ray Charles You Don't Know Me, Careless Love,Born To Lose, I Can't Stop Loving Y US $2.22 [0 bids]
Dolly Parton All I Can Do (1976 RCA Records) US $3.62 [0 bids]

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Soundtracks ratings distribution

CAN Soundtracks reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This second album, is supposedly made up of tracks written for movies (or shall we say film footege, because I have never even found a traceof these "movies" after a search), hece the name of the album. I must say that I liked both eras of Can , with either Mooney and later Damo Suzuki.

Mother Sky is as good as Can ever gets and Soul Desert is also a gem and Alone right up there too , but the rest is rather weaker than What can got us used to . If they had made another track (Soul Mother in a Desert Sky maybe) of those mentioned about this would've been one of their best . Still an essental Can

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#23206) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 01, 2004

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
4 stars Second studio album by the classic Can between 1969/70. The tracks were originally inspired by several "independent" movies as "Deadlock", "Deepend".soundtracks marked a new step of music making for Can. Only Irmin Schmidt actually saw the movies for which the group provided the sound. The compositions presented in the album deliver a weird, emotional, satirical free form rock orientated to simple, repetitive guitar lines & chaotic percussions, rhythmically orientated. A few tracks contain acoustic arrangements (guitar, flute & percussion). "Deadlock" which opens the album is one of my all time favourite Can's compositions: an efficient, rebellious, melancholic strange ballad. "Soul desert" is also a very pleasant, confused rock tune with strange, "acid" suffering vocals and rhythmical, minimalist drum/ bass patterns. "Mother sky" is the improvised song of the album with a repetitive bass guitar exercise and destroying, ferocious guitar solos with the add of "stoned" vocals. "She brings the rain" is a nice, humorous jazzy ballad. An honest album with a few interesting ideas. A must for every fans of Can.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#44222) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2005

Review by Seyo
5 stars The second CAN album is a collection of tracks originally composed for several independent movies, but make no mistake - this is not a usual "soundtrack" album. It contains 7 quite different and distinct compositions so that one could wonder whether it is the same band all the time. Probably because this was my first encounter with CAN music, I am still very much in love with "Soundtrakcs" and can hardly find any weak moment. A true magnum opus of CAN catalogue is present here - 14 and half minutes trance of "Mother Sky". Starting with a Karoli's freak-out guitar solo out of nowhere, augmented by Czukay's bass stomping rhythm yet with melodic lines and probably the most "natural" sounding drum beats ever heard courtesy of Liebezeit (he is one of the forgotten heroes of the instrument; you can literally hear his palm skin touching and beating the drum skin as in a jungle-tribal ceremony), "Mother Sky" remains one of the most addictive and dance-inducing songs ever written. You simply cannot stay calm with it, you must move, jump, dance, rock, roll, swing and skip, even hum the mantra "mother sky" along with Suzuki - you can even do physical exercises and pilates with it. This is like an early precursor of techno-trance dance music of the 1990s, with difference being you don't need bloody illicit substances to stay in form, the sound itself does it for you. Remeber, we are still talking about 1970! No synths! Other songs are excellent as well - from Karoli's wonderful guitar solo in "Deadlock" through the ending notes of jazzy Mooney-sung "She Brings the Rain". This album is a remarkable work and if it cannot be strictly pronounced a masterpiece, it is still one of the defining moments of experimental and avant rock music. For me and myself, "Mother Sky" alone merits 5 billion stars of the universe of sound and rhythm.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#59123) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 04, 2005

4 stars CAN's record company was demanding a second album, and CAN wasn't ready to actually record some of the material they had been working on. Enter Siggi Loch from United Artists with the idea to release a compiltion record of songs they had already recorded for movie soundtracks. So we have 7 songs from 5 different movies.The cool thing is we get to hear Malcom Mooney's last recorded song with CAN in "She Brings The Rain", and also Damo Suzuki's first recorded song with them in "Don't Turn The Light On, Leave Me Alone". Both are great tracks by the way.

"Deadlock" features Karoli's guitar crying out as Damo sings away.The latter part of the song is completely dominated by guitar. "Tango Wiskyman" opens with reserved vocals and percussion. Nice beat. The sound becomes fuller a minute in then drifts back to the original melody. "Deadlock(Titelmusik)" is a short tune with the same melody as the first track only it's more raw and it's an instrumental. There is also some great drumming and organ on this one. "Don't Turn The Lights On, Leave Me Alone" is the first song that evokes that classic CAN sound. Damo sort of mumbles and sings like he's half asleep. Haha.The rhythm is hypnotic, and we get some flute as well.

"Soul Desert" and the final track are the only two songs with Malcom singing.This is my favourite up to this point.That great beat with those passionate vocals. Amazing.This is my second favourite after the next tune "Mother Sky" which I think is one of their best ever. A 14 1/2 minute trip. I love what it says in the liner notes about "Mother Sky". "It's the ultimate demonstration that CAN's repetitive rhythmical approach was not a case of going nowhere but taking you anywhere". Scorching guitar as bass and drums mesmerize. Check out the bass before 2 minutes.The guitar stops as the beat continues then the vocals join in. Screaming guitar 4 minutes in as the rhythm continues to intoxicate. Love the drumming 5 minutes in. Vocals are back after 7 minutes with percussion. More ripping guitar 9 minutes in that ends 12 1/2 minutes in. Nice. Vocals then take guitars place as they come and go to the end of the song.

"She Brings The Rain" is probably the most memorable track in that it sticks in your head long after it's over. Mooney is singing about magic mushrooms and flying on the raven's wings. Very minimal but cool tune. Violin after 1 1/2 minutes, and the guitar makes some noise late.

This is a must for CAN fans out there. And in my opinion a must have for Krautrock fans as well.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#165521) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars The second album from Can called Soundtracks is a bit of a dissapointment after their outstanding debut album Monster Movie which I found was very original and exciting. Soundtracks is more polished and the songs are generally shorter than on Monster Movies.

The repetitive Krautrock beats are there of course but my complaint is that the songs donīt have time to evolve in the short time many of them last. Itīs pretty saying that the best song here is the only really long song. Mother Sky is a real treat though. Lots of different instrumental bits are build on the repetitive groove and because the song is given time to develop it seems whole. The shorter songs are also very good, but I think the Krautrock format is better suited for long songs.

There are two different vocalists on Soundtracks and even though original vocalist Malcolm Mooney who sings on Soul Desert and She brings the Rain and new vocalist Damo Suzuki who sings on the rest of the songs have very similar sounding voices, I prefer Malcolm Mooneyīs dull almost sleepy vocal style. I donīt know the history of Can but I guess Malcolm Mooney stepped out of the band during the recording process ?

The musicians seem a bit tighter than on Monter Movies and Iīm in doubt if that is a good thing as I really liked the very raw and unpolished debut album.

The sound quality is pretty good for the time and I enjoy it.

Even though Soundtracks is not as good as Monter Movies itīs still a very good album and it deserves 3 big stars.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#168280) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 21, 2008

Review by friso
4 stars This album is still a bit underrated. It might not be what most canfans would expect. It's less hypnotic, more badassrock sounding. Also the fact that it's a soundtrack may work against the popularity of this album of the Can, for the movies must have been bad, b-movies I guess. The thing I enjoy most about this album is the fact that it sounds like a perfect soundtrack for movies as Lock stock and two smoking barrels and The Boondog Saints. They should have used this music. It's a very dinstinguishing sound. A friend of mine (with completely no knowledge of prog, so in a way objective) said that it sounded like realy dirty rock. I guess he didn't hear the experimental way of how they bring this dirty art.

The Deadlockmovie themes are the beginning of the album. The first song, Deadlock, is so cool! Atmospheric guitar sound. Just a great '69 recording. Even so much more fresh then something compareble for the time being as In a gadda la vi by Iron Butterfly. They were far ahead of their time. Thang Whiskeyman is from the same movie and the song has the same vibe. The final deadlock theme is a short intense comeback of themes heard before on the other tracks before this one. Great!

Sould Desert is a bit harder to like, for it's keyword must have been repetition. This does give it the hypnotic sound wich the real fans will enjoy! I myself find this song a bit to easy.

Mother Skey. Great epos. I like the lyrics in the middle! It also must have been an inspiration for Supersister's Pudding and Gisteren, cause one theme really sounds like the same. Can was, as usually, first. A long some, great instrumental parts, great vibe. Like only Can can do.

She brings the rain is one suprise left for the end of the album! It's actually a jazzy song. Very well chosen as an ending for the album. Great akoustic guitars, great vocals. Not an ordinary Can recording, but this album hasn't been that from the start, so it is actually very interesting to hear what thes guys are capable of. And so a great jazz track ends the journey.

Well you people understand, four stars!!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#173006) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Review by horsewithteeth11
3 stars Apparently Can's record company, before their second album was finished, wanted them to cough up material for a second release. The band didn't feel they had enough, so instead they compiled songs that had been written for movie soundtracks. Thus the album has quite a fitting name.

Soundtracks really feels like a transition album to me. It's both a mix of the band's early psychedelic jams and the band's later moves into improvisation, experimentation, and avant-garde rock. The next release, Tago Mago, brings their later form to full fruition. This is also the last appearance from Malcolm Mooney, as he only sings on two songs, Soul Desert and She Brings the Rain. The rest of the vocals are handled by Damo Suzuki, who would become the vocalist during the band's prime years. All in all, the songs on here are better than I had expected them to be, given that I think most movie soundtracks I've heard aren't any better than compilation albums filled with singles. I feel that these are fairly good, albeit short, Krautrock songs. Unfortunately, I have to agree with UMUR on this one. Many of the songs, while repetitive, feel too short for them to fully evolve and build. Although I disagree with him in that I think the tighter compositions work here, given that these were songs made for various soundtracks. I can still give Soundtracks 3 stars, but there are definitely better Can albums out there.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#235644) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 29, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Soundtracks isn't as essential as many other Can albums. It was actually some sort of stopgap released to fulfil legal obligations to the record label and compiled a number of previously released songs from soundtracks that Can had contributed to.

This historic perspective aside, this is actually one of the most enjoyable Can albums for me. Deadlock is one of their most emotive songs, featuring a touching plaintive vocal by Suzuki and the typical weeping guitars from Karoli. Other tracks like Tango Whiskeyman and Don't Turn The Light On mark a shift towards a more rhythmic focus. Don't Turn The Light On is the first recording with Suzuki as vocalist by the way. Well yeah, vocalist... whatever you choose to name it, he's most effective here on this album!

Soul Desert on the other hand is the last recording with Malcolm Mooney. It's a minimalist masterpiece where the music has been stripped of harmony and melody and where only raw emotion and rhythm is left.

The focal point is Mother Sky of course, this track that got me into Can through a cover from the British band Loop in 1989. Can's original is superior of course and one of the best extended pieces they've done. It's as much space rock as it is kraut and it drones through a 14 minute dope-infused hypnotic groove of sorts. Pass me that joint Damo will ye? Pure trance.

She Brings the Rain is something entirely different and ends the album with a light jazzy touch. Very moody and mellow. Beautiful this one.

Overall Soundtracks could be the perfect introduction to Can, more accessible and catchy then usual yet featuring all of their trademark experimental drifts. Add the variety of the material and the diversity in the vocal styles and you end up with an excellent addition to my Can pack.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#254934) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars Since several reviewers browsed the background of this "Soundtrack" album, I'll just tell my mind about the music featured in here.

From gentle ("Tango Whiskeyman") to fine psychedelia ("Deadlock"), this album is nothing too depraved nor hurting for the era. Nothing revolutionary to tell the truth. Short musical breaks with little magic (except "Mother Sky" of course).

Some acoustic psyche are featured ("Don't Turn the Light On?") but I can't frankly be impressed with such a song. Let's listen to the great "Airplane" to get some more depth while exploring these territories.

Actually, this album or better said this collection of songs leaves me quite cold overall. Great moments are absent so far as I am quite suffering while listening to "Soul Desert" to say the least.

Of course, there is the incredible and fantastic "Mother Sky". A quarter of an hour of acid psychedelia which renders quite a good picture of the late sixties. Early Floyd is close by, for sure. An hypnotic beat all the way through, crying guitar and impeccable drumming are providing essential elements and ensure that the whole sounds extremely enjoyable to my ears. By far the highlight. A great "trip" indeed. That's how I like "Can".

Thanks to this great song, and given the fact that it is good for almost half of the album, my rating is three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#267229) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 20, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Now THAT's the Can that made me care enough to review them. Partially because this album wasn't conceived in one main recording session, but instead was a compilation of sorts of tracks the band contributed to various films, and partially because it's historically a transitional album (two tracks were recorded with Mooney in the band, the other five with Suzuki), Soundtracks tends to be somewhat overlooked in the early works of Can. This, as far as I'm concerned, is a horrific travesty on the part of Can lovers, as it's easily my #2 from the group, and were it not for including the lowest point of the first Mooney era, this would probably be my favorite (and would probably get a ***** rating).

As mentioned, two of the tracks on here are from when Mooney was still with the group, before his schizophrenia completely overwhelmed him and he had to take off. One of them, the closing "She Brings the Rain," is actually quite nice. It's completely unlike anything the band would ever release in the rest of its career, a perfectly conventional and pleasant jazz- pop number whose total lack of weirdness probably helps explain why the album gets largely overlooked (though I sincerely hope I can give Can fans more credit than that). The other one, however, the side-one closer "Soul Desert," is a total disgrace, and amply shows that Mooney had to go. What's pretty odd to me, actually, is that it's not just Mooney's singing itself that bothers me so much on this track, though that certainly is an incredible irritant. No, what really strikes me is how stiff and uninvigorating the backing track sounds, especially in comparison to the instrumental textures on the rest of the album. It's almost as if the band had to throw off the shackles of Mooney's presence, not just to improve the vocals but to give themselves freedom to really cut loose themselves, in order to reach its full potential.

And boy, is that potential reached in the other five tracks. The opening "Deadlock," as well as its reprise, "Deadlock (Title Music)," is one of the most powerful emotional experiences in the Can catalogue, mainly because of the GORGEOUSLY mournful guitar sound that Karoli pulls out. Suzuki's waillings in unison with the guitar lines may be completely indiscernable, but the phrasing he uses complements the overall mood (whatever it exactly might be) to perfection. The "(Title Music)" reprise is even more stately, pushing the guitar line into the background and pushing the booming percussion and (in parts) Schmidt's chordings into the foreground, and while it's not as gorgeous as its predecessor, it's certainly worth all of its 1:40 of space.

The other two tracks on side one manage to pull off the simultaneous feat of not sounding as "twisted" as I usually think of Can as being, and of sounding twisted enough that I couldn't imagine any other band doing tracks like this. "Tango Whiskeyman" is a good counterexample to show what I mean when I say Mooney's presence made the band too stiff and rigid and awkward; this shows (to my ears, anyway) a much more confident, much more interesting Jaki than the one playing behind Mooney, as his "ethnic" percussion rhythms (and come to think of it, was anybody in 'Western' pop music really bringing in "ethnic" rhythms of this kind back in 1970? There sure weren't any Talking Heads around yet, for sure!) give a neat flair to a folk-pop ballad with a catchy melody and an alienish vocal part. "Don't Turn the Light On, Leave Me Alone" is even better, a demonstration of Can's mastery of cold, robotic, hypnotic bass-heavy pop-rock made as paranoid as possible by Damo's slurred vocals. And dig those Easterny wind-instrument noises (are they recorders? I can't completely tell) that act as sprinkles on this doughnut of paranoid depression!

The main attraction of the album, though, is undoubtedly the 14:30 "Mother Sky." From the very first moments of Karoli's guitar pyrotechnics, underpinned by the groove-power of Jaki and Holger setting the standard (to that point) of how a rhythm section is supposed to sound when functioning as a "normal" rhythm section, I am entranced, up to the very end. Suzuki is rousing and hypnotic, Karoli just rips whenever the focus comes around to him (and he takes on several styles and moods throughout), Schmidt makes some solid contributions of his own near the end, and the rhythm section plows on and on in the tightest manner possible. Of course, this doesn't stop Jaki from having his own special spotlight, either; all the while holding together the groove of the whole, he gets in some terrific polyrhythmic passages starting around the 5:00 mark and going on for a couple of minutes, proving that he could be even more than the world's best metronome. Man, if you've wondered why I was so down on "Yoo Doo Right" overall, it's because I knew this band had, somewhere inside it, the potential for something as amazing as "Mother Sky." "Halleluwah" ranks a little higher in my book for being awesome for 18 minutes instead of 14-and-a-half, and because it's more intriguingly disturbing, but this sucker rocks in a way even "Halleluwah" doesn't pull off, and that says something.

In short, any fan of Krautrock, instrumental jamming, or of interesting-yet-unconventional rock music has to pick up a copy of this at some point. And, of course, it goes without saying that being a Can fan without this is simply inexcusable.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#282757) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 20, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars Soundtracks is an album which will be automatically interesting to big-time CAN fans as a document of the time period ranging from the end of Malcolm Mooney's tenure as lead singer and the early phases of Damo Suzuki's stint in the band. Of the two singers on display here, Suzuki is the one who impresses the most, simply because he gets up to speed with the band almost instantaneously - he's so comfortable laying his bizarre performances over the band's hypnotic krautrock beat you'd think they'd been playing together for years. Musically speaking, there are a few weak tracks (the closer just doesn't feel like a CAN composition in any way), but it's otherwise a solid (if unmemorable) effort.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#465950) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 20, 2011

Review by siLLy puPPy
4 stars SOUNDTRACKS was a transitional album for CAN being not only a crossroads from the heavy psych jams of their first couple albums (i'm counting DELAY here) to the more experimental electronic and stranger albums that follow. Malcolm Mooney was on his way out and only appears on two tracks here, those being "Soul Desert" and the least CAN sounding track i've ever heard "She Brings The Rain" that actually reminds me more of a Stray Cats rockabilly sound than anything in the Krautrock world. This album marked the beginning of the new singer David Suzuki who really fits quite well with the sound and arrives at the time where he contributed to the new experimental phase.

Like the title suggests this album is a collection of tracks that were written for various films, the first three tracks being for the film "Deadlock" alone. Despite being composed for different sources, this album still feels like it could have been a real CAN album with the exception of the final track. The two singers on the album don't feel in conflict with another and actually adds a more diverse feel. My favorite track has to be the 14 minute plus "Mother Sky" which has the honor of being both hypnotically spacey and a serious rocker as well with a seriously beefy bass and a smokin' guitar which is some of the hardest rock CAN has ever indulged in. Not as good as the albums that precede and follow but still a good listen.

CAN isn't without their influences. This is Krautrock but for example "Dont Turn The Light On" reminds me a bit of "Sympathy For The Devil" by the Rolling Stones and I keep expecting a little "ooo, ooo" back-up vocals to take place. Basically don't expect a uniform album with this one but don't be surprised if it actually holds up as one. This is what it says, namely SOUNDTRACKS. This is a hodge-podge of tracks that are totally unrelated and are simply put together in a composite form to be released for consumption by fans, although I really wonder how many fans CAN had at this point being far removed from this place and time. Many decades after this release I find this to be a very worthy listen.

Send comments to siLLy puPPy (BETA) | Report this review (#1145101) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 09, 2014

4 stars And what kind of soundtracks these are! This german psychedelic - often acid - record contains some movietracks of some not welknown movies. The song range from psychobeat (Deadlock, Mothersky) to soulfull lazymusic (Tango Whiskyman and She brings the Rain) and to crazy (drunken?) sang agressi ... (read more)

Report this review (#587273) | Posted by the philosopher | Tuesday, December 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Can - Soundtracks Can's second studio album provides an interesting look into one of my favorite bands of all time. Can always had (and has) that odd, distant, slightly eclectic sound that is just a journey for the mind--and this album is no exception. Everything from their tight and fun percu ... (read more)

Report this review (#171267) | Posted by Figglesnout | Saturday, May 17, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Jut before Tago Mago, Can released this album, a collection of songs which were made for a few movies (Deep End, Deadlock, Cream...). Even if this isn't Can's best work, it's pretty, and two of the tracks are marvellous : the long Mother Sky and She Brings The Rain. Here, you can hear for the la ... (read more)

Report this review (#164994) | Posted by Zardoz | Wednesday, March 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First let me state that rating an album is not an objective type of business or science. My taste was never just progressive or just psychedelia or just greek folk rempetika. I have been listening all at the same time since the age of 12 having started with the Floyd from about infancy, I thank m ... (read more)

Report this review (#107664) | Posted by acido | Tuesday, January 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Not a bad album my expectations for a soundtrack compilation were lower, but this is next logical album to buy from can if you already own Tago Mago Ege Bamyasi and Future Days. This album includes the introduction of the innovative singer Damo Suzucki and the exit of the wailing Malcom Moone ... (read more)

Report this review (#81171) | Posted by Cheesecakemouse | Wednesday, June 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Second studio effort by Krautrock pioneers, and surprisingly, a compilation of soundtracks, which we are not accustomed to see much from prog bands. This one is rather "patchy", collecting music from five different movies, and features 2 different vocalists. Even the difference between the ... (read more)

Report this review (#49827) | Posted by Bilek | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really good album (first with Damo Suzuki). There is some realy great works like - Deadlock, Tango Whiskeyman, Don't Turn The Light On... with strange melancholic voice of Suzuki, and briliant Mother Sky with amazing, crazy solo of Karoli! Songs with Malcolm Mooney are good but not so good like t ... (read more)

Report this review (#23210) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A very good album (3rd best in my opinion)... Both Damo Suzuki and Malcom Mooney appear on this album and are both great! Songs 1 and 3 are the most droned out, desperate, acid-drenched guitar riffed songs I have ever heard. The album seems to be a little more rock/progressive inspired but heavie ... (read more)

Report this review (#23204) | Posted by | Monday, December 01, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAN "Soundtracks"