Opeth - Watershed CD (album) cover

WATERSHED

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

transend
1 stars Opeth are in my opinion a death metal band, plain and simple. The fact they have an acoustic guitar evident does not make them prog.

Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake I made with their previous album 'Ghost reveries' of trying this band out again, since I DO like heavy metal. So I dove in again, and once again I found the same awful drum sound the same lack of melody and of course the vocals of a well know muppet character who rarely actually ingests the cookies, though he is monumentally more entertaining than the utter dross Opeth has offered the 'prog' fans again.

So, to sum up: If you are a fan of prog rock; avoid like the plague. If you are a fan of heavy metal; I suggest you look to Slayer or anything that actually has a tune and melody. Goes without saying if you don't like this style of vocals then you might be wise to give this a wide berth.

1 out of five, no question.

transend | 1/5 |