Riverside - Second Life Syndrome CD (album) cover

SECOND LIFE SYNDROME

Riverside

Col.Nuke
5 stars Wow!

I was searching around to find some nice new progressive metal other than Dream Theater, then my uncle, who is a huge European prog fanatic, introduced me to this band, Riverside. I was doubtful at first, not expecting much, and I was blown away after listening to the opening seconds of Volte-Face. An excellent, excellent progressive metal album; it really has no lows.

1. After--a nice introduction; sets the mood and atmosphere for the next track.

2. Volte-Face--powerful opening with cryptic percussion entry. A powerful track.

3. Conceiving You--echoing of Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree, this track deals with sensitive subject matter; the lyrics reflecting depressing emotional problems of the protagonist.

4. Second Life Syndrome--The title track of the album certainly lives up to its name. Powerful vocals, and interesting chord progressions, this composition is possibly Riverside's magnum opus.

5. Artificial Smile--A fast paced, simple progressive metal piece. Clearly influenced by Opeth, with Mariusz Duda's growling segments throughout the song, finishing off with an outburst.

6. I Turned You Down--A nice, Floydian intermission between the fast paced, riff-infused Artificial Smile and the upcoming track. Very fitting.

7. Reality Dream III--An instrumental track, showing off an evident Rush influence, but perhaps a bit more epic, with a little bit of a neo progressive twist.

8. Dance With The Shadow--Another highlight of this excellent album, this track deals with schizophrenia and conflicting personalities of the protagonist. Another dark track; truly epic nonetheless.

9. Before-- A nice conclusion to the masterpiece that is Second Life Syndrome, it once again touches upon dark emotions and internal problems, effectively closing off this album.

An awesome album. I highly recommend this album for fans of groups such as Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Tool, & Opeth.

Col.Nuke | 5/5 |