Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1 CD (album) cover

THE PERFECT ELEMENT PART 1

Pain Of Salvation

hattrick
5 stars First of all, I would like to thank the ProgArchives community for bringing Pain of Salvation to my attention. I saw the high ratings and decided to try them out. I've purchased four albums so far: The Perfect Element Part I, Remedy Lane, Be, and 12:5 and have thoroughly enjoyed each one.

For me, Pain of Salvation bridges the gap between my Neo Prog (Marillion, Pendragon, Arena), Prog Metal (Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, Riverside), and Prog Related (Coheed and Cambria) tastes. PoS covers that entire range quite well and then some. Even their heaviest material maintains musical integrity without resorting to thrashing, machine-gun drums, vocal growling, or skill showboating (a reason why prog metal is often hit or miss for me). Their music has great harmonies, soaring emotion, violent rage, and gentle melodies. Add to that one of the best vocalists I've ever heard and this band clearly demonstrates that it is a rare find.

I wasn't very impressed the first time I heard this album, but as with all great prog, it takes time to fully absorb and appreciate the music. On my third listen, this became probably my favorite PoS album. It is more cohesive as a album and has a more consistent style than Remedy Lane. There aren't any weak songs and each song has least one remarkable musical signature. That being said, the title track The Perfect Element is the highlight with my favorite part being the middle section at around 5 minutes in (such emotion!).

Songs: Used (8/10), In the Flesh (9/10), Ashes (8/10), Morning on Earth (8/10), Idioglossia (8/10), Her Voices (9/10), Dedication (8/10), King of Loss (9/10), Reconciliation (8/10), Song for the Innocent (9/10), Falling (7/10), The Perfect Element (10/10)

hattrick | 5/5 |