Savatage - Sirens CD (album) cover

SIRENS

Savatage

UMUR
2 stars Sirens is the debut album from US Power metal band Savatage. My introduction to Savatage was the Gutter Ballet video which I saw on Headbangerīs Ball sometime in the late eighties/ early nineties and then In the Hall of the Mountain King video which I also watched on Headbangerīs Ball. Up through the nineties I purchased and listened to four or five other albums from Savatage but I must admit that I never really became a devoted fan. Savatage has always been a bit too classic heavy metal for my taste even though they are a bit more sophisticated than your average heavy meal band.

Savatage was formed by the two Olivia brothers. Jon Olivia on on keyboards and vocals and Criss Olivia on guitars and backing vocals. Criss Olivia was by many regarded as one of the great heavy metal guitarists of the eighties. Sadly he was killed by a drunken driver in 1993. In Addition to the two brothers Savatage at this time consisted of Keith Collins on bass and backing vocals and Steve Wacholz on drums and percussion. The star of this album is without a doubt Criss Olivia. His hard rocking guitar style reminds me of guitarists like Randy Rhodes and Eddie Van Halen.

The music on Sirens is unmistakably eighties heavy metal and itīs actually a pretty hard version of that style Savatage play on Sirens. Jon Oliviaīs rusty voice cuts through bones while little brother Criss plays some really nice and fast licks to keep the music interesting most of the time. The rythm section is tight and relentless. Most of the songs are mid paced heavy metal tunes build on a vers chorus solo formula while the last song on the original LP Out On The Streets is a power ballad type song. Itīs good for the variation but I prefer the hard rocking heavy metal tracks over this one. The CD release from 1994 has two extra tracks. Lady in Disguise which is another power ballad and The Message which is a hard rocking heavy metal tune. Both songs seem like natural additions to the album. The music sometimes remind me of the first couple of albums from Ozzy Osbourne even though Savatage is a bit harder edged on Sirens. Even though all songs are enjoyable the album does become a bit trivial at times. The Early eighties heavy metal style simply had itīs limits.

The production is very good for the time even though there are obvious flaws here and there.

I actually ended up enjoying myself more than I had expected and I think Sirens is a very good example of early eighties heavy metal. There are absolutely no prog tendencies on the album but it rocks enough to make even an old stiff necked headbanger like myself rock his head. If I could give 2.5 stars I would but as I seldom round up this will be a 2 star album. Not because itīs not worth listening to but because this one is probably only for the fans of the band and fans of early eighties heavy metal.

UMUR | 2/5 |